Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lighting for a 150g Deep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lighting for a 150g Deep
    Posted: May 21 2013 at 6:02am
So, one of my 400W IceCap metal halide ballasts just died. My canopy is currently set up for 2 x 400W MH + 2 x 54W T-5's. My tank is 31" deep, and I'm growing SPS right by the sandbed.

Anything any of you would recommend? I'm not convinced with LEDs yet, especially for that deep of a tank. I've heard some bad reviews with the Cannon LEDs. But...I'm open.

Thanks in advance!
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 6:49am
You have MH+T5 and don't want LED...you didn't leave us much room for suggestions:)

I'll bet the radion pro would grow SPS near your sand. Even with a slow acclimation I can't seem to get mine higher than 60% before I start to piss stuff off. My two pros are about 18" off the water and the top of my sand is 25-26" from the surface. I've settled in at 50% and a longer lighting period.

I do have a couple frags of SPS on the sand because I don't know where to put them yet and they have been great for a while now.
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 7:36am
i have the same tank as you and am using 350w of leds. it is diy but i copied the radions. Although my tank has nothing in it right now i am anticipating that i will be able to grow sps wherever i want.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 7:41am
Oh, I am ok with getting LEDs, but I just have concerns. Mr. Gray, are you able to test your tank with a PAR meter to see what you are getting? Any issues with keeping LPS or anything?
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 7:41am
The last question was directed toward anyone.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 7:46am
the tank is currently cycling so i don't have anything in it yet. i don't personally have a par meter but i'd be happy to let someone get readings on my tank if they have one.
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 7:55am
I know little about DIY LED fixtures, but from the people I've talked to and the forums I've read the Radion Pro is the best bet for SPS. Would love to try one, but just can't justify the price tag at this moment.

I'd talk to Laird. He had a DIY LED system over his 90 (I believe that's what he had), and he grew amazing SPS, LPS, etc.
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 8:26am
I've got a duncan, some acans, a couple frog spawn, hammer, chalice, and other random specimens. I'd guess If I just had SPS I could ramp it up higher over a long period but my miami hurricane, mummy eye, and meteor shower pieces start to suffer if I ramp it up. I guess I could move them around to allow for me ramping up the light more but I'm saving my shaded areas for those that need it.

I can't imagine there not being enough light/spectrum but I got to start with LED so I can imagine your concern with going to something so different. For someone as sharp as you I'd guess you could dial a radion (or DIY LED if you build in enough channels) into whatever range and intensity you'd like. I have both a steve's led and a rapid led kit for a RSM130 and a BC29 but neither (of my builds) has the flexibility of my main lights. Something I'd guess you'd want to plan on.

@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 3:17pm
Wow, Reef'd up has a question for once!  Usually you are the one supplying all the answers :)

Honestly, I'd probably replace the ballast.  You're likely thinking since it went bad, perhaps its a good time to try something else, if so - perhaps you could run a radion on one side of the tank and see its effect compared to the MH?  Pretty expensive test though.  Lighting is a hard commitment to make.

Another idea - some people are really against t5s on deep tanks, but the latest and greater ATI Powermodule Hybrid LED system is something I dream about and it would seem to pack enough of a PAR punch to keep you happy. 

Good luck with whatever you choose. If you do the LEDs, let us know how it goes.  Something still doesn't seem right with the tanks I see run them, but still interested in taking the plunge.

Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 3:27pm
10w or 20w LED chips would definitely get the range your looking for. I've seen SPS growing under the 10w chips. They're nothing short of amazing. Since I put 10w chips over my frag tank, the colors have intensified and increased remarkably. Yay 455nm.

Edited by Pete Moss - May 21 2013 at 3:28pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 4:30pm
I would go ati t5s, if you wanna drop some cash go ati led/t5 fixture

If your planning on going led, for me personally, I would still add 2 t5s. Talk with allen bishop, amazing tank, amazing color from corals, and great growth.

But then again its up to you in the end. For my new tank I am having a TEK fixture, cause I got a sweet deal on it. But when bulbs need to be replaced I am either gonna go ati t5s. Or a DYI led/t5 fixture. Still undecided

Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 4:38pm
LEDs... The difference between them (aside from efficiency between brands) is the spectrum of the LEDs used.  You can pick and choose your spectrum or very closely match the Radions if you like.  People tend to get all bent out of shape with LEDs that aren't the big name of the week, the thing I consider is that I won't every run them at 100% output so why not get the less expensive ones?  The electrical costs will be slightly higher since they are less efficient, but over halides or even T-5 they are in expensive. You'll need a driver that is analog for your Apex. Going into a 30 inch deep tank is an issue since some of the ranges of spectrum doesn't penetrate water well.  The nice things about LEDs is that you can put exactly what you want over a specific coral and use the optics to focus the been.

Fat
PS, I'll help change the ballast.

February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by bur01014 bur01014 wrote:

Wow, Reef'd up has a question for once!  Usually you are the one supplying all the answers :)

Yeah, yeah...I knew someone would make that joke! LOL. But, I'll admit where I'm clueless. Lighting is one of those areas. Metal halide has worked well for me...so I've stuck with it.

Honestly, I'd probably replace the ballast.

Well, that's why I'm looking to try something new. The ballasts are IceCap, which are no longer around. If I replace one ballast, it won't give the same color spectrum with the existing ballast. Plus, I don't have much faith the remaining ballast will last much longer.

Another idea - some people are really against t5s on deep tanks, but the latest and greater ATI Powermodule Hybrid LED system is something I dream about and it would seem to pack enough of a PAR punch to keep you happy.

Huh...I'm not familiar with that one, so I'll check it out. Thanks!

As you also mentioned, I'm not completely convinced with LEDs. I've seen some amazing tanks with them, but I've also consulted on tanks with issues running LEDs...where I couldn't find anything else wrong. They all had the same symptoms. I try to keep an open mind though and not blame the lighting...but it's hard to not wonder....
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 5:13pm
Ok, here's what's listed so far:

1. Replace the ballast with a similar ballast

2. ATI Powermodule Hybrid LED

3. DIY LEDs

4. ATI T-5's

5. LEDs with T-5 supplement

6. Radion Pro

Any others or anything I've missed? As I'm sure most of you have guessed, I'm probably going to do way more research than any sane person. Stay tuned.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 5:19pm
I own that fixture now and its awesome more than happy to come check it out.

Originally posted by Snowsrfr Snowsrfr wrote:

I know little about DIY LED fixtures, but from the people I've talked to and the forums I've read the Radion Pro is the best bet for SPS. Would love to try one, but just can't justify the price tag at this moment.

I'd talk to Laird. He had a DIY LED system over his 90 (I believe that's what he had), and he grew amazing SPS, LPS, etc.
220 G SPS Display.

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Teknik777 Teknik777 wrote:

Laird's old fixture? I saw that over his 90g...very nice. How deep is your tank? I'm really just concerned about my 31" deep dimension. Anyway, I'd love to see your tank anyway...and you're right down the road.   
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
icenine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icenine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 7:36pm
I recently became impressed with the ATI T5, however my tank is nowhere as deep as yours and if I were going LED it would have been Radion Pro. The ATI combo is promising, and very much so but I know no one running it. Probably worth it but the Radions are oh so tempting.  

Edited by icenine - May 21 2013 at 7:38pm
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 7:36pm
I've seen the tank and it's spectacular.

February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 11:21pm
24 deep. Your always welcome to stop by.   

Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Originally posted by Teknik777 Teknik777 wrote:

Laird's old fixture? I saw that over his 90g...very nice. How deep is your tank? I'm really just concerned about my 31" deep dimension. Anyway, I'd love to see your tank anyway...and you're right down the road.   
220 G SPS Display.

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 7:14am
Just made this and thought it was interesting. I kept the T-5 and metal halide bulb changes at one-year out of laziness.

www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic