Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

water changes???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Class View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water changes???
    Posted: May 24 2013 at 11:27am
hey guys just a quick couple of questions for you. i have a 30 gallon tall tank with 30 pounds live rock, 30 pounds sand, full blown clean up crew including a turbo snail. i've also got 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 clowns, and a spotted dragonet, also i got a coco worm, frag of zoas and candies. everything is doing very well right now and my levels are doing great. my main question is how ofter should i be doing water changes and with what amount? 10%? 15%? every week? every month? please let me know what your thoughts are, im open to all different ideas. thanks again guys, this forum has been a huge help to me.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 11:39am
With that bioload I would change 15% biweekly.
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 11:40am
What type of mechanical filtration are you running?   What is your setup consist of other than your biological filtration?
Flow?
Carbon? 
Skimmer?
Sump?
Refugium?
All these factor in as well.  
How long have you been up and running?
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Class View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 11:43am
i've got an ehiem canister filter, 2 power heads. no skimmer, no sump and no refugium either. i do have a carbon media bag in the filter and another type of media that i cant remember off the top of my head right now. and i've been up and running for about 6 weeks right now
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 1:17pm
Unfortunately, your means of nutrient export aren't great.  However, that being said you can still be successful.  I'd closely watch how much you feed and stick with 10% water change weekly.

Class View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 1:27pm
what could i do to help with nutrient exportation?
Jacknugget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacknugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Class Class wrote:

what could i do to help with nutrient exportation?

A good skimmer and a productive refugium would be helpful. If it were me, I would toss the media in your canister filter and pack it with as much rubble rock as you can. (There's nothing wrong with using carbon but the filter floss/sponge can quickly turn into a nitrate factory if not rinsed often). Live rock on the other hand shouldn't need to be rinsed.  Without a skimmer or refugium you'll have to rely more heavily on water changes to export nutrients.

Edited by Jacknugget - May 24 2013 at 2:36pm
125 Mixed Reef
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 2:38pm
I run a 30gal. with no sump, skimmer or refugium. I do approx. 10% change every couple of weeks. I also am very careful on not overfeeding. Be sure to use a good quality food. I also fire up my HOB filter with a pad and do a rock blow off and partial sand stir just before a water change. Then I remove the pad later and just run carbon in it. Its about 3 yrs. old now and really dont have to many major problems. Not any more than anyone else.

Also keep your bioload in check and a good clean-up crew. I also keep a baseball size clump if cheato in the display.

Edited by xlr8r - May 24 2013 at 2:40pm
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 4:30pm
Aloha Corbin,

xl8r has the right idea. Thumbs Up

Instant Ocean had a study done which showed that 10% monthly water changes were plenty for most tanks. Many hobbyists choose more frequent intervals/amounts, but you will find that hobbyists that have been around for awhile often let water changes slide to every 2-6 months and their tanks do just fine.

Originally posted by Class Class wrote:

...my levels are doing great.

What levels are those? Alkalinity? Calcium? The reason I ask is because these are the components that deplete most quickly.

Also, there are a three things which make a lot of difference in the health of your tank and dictate the need for water changes.
1. The maturity of the LR
2. the life in the LS and
3. How much algae of any kind is growing in the tank.
The easiest way for us to know these three points and to best help you is to see the tank. Can you post a pic?

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 24 2013 at 4:31pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ajsahm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajsahm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 10:42am
My biocube has about the same load and it was not too happy with out weekly changes.  and I also keep cheato in the display. :)  everything is happy now.

75g - In the process of building
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic