Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QT Filtration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: QT Filtration
    Posted: May 28 2013 at 9:51am

As always, the internet seems to have a thousand different answers to this question so I thought I'd ask people I trust:

What type of filtration do you run on a quarantine tank? 
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 10:03am
I'm running two HOB filters without any media or anything besides sponges. I just maintain chemistry through water changes.
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 10:18am
+1 to what Anne said. I also just use small poly filters in HOB filters that were previously in my pest free display for a few weeks to seed with bacteria (read side note) and I change those out every week in the QT. If you do not have a clean display tank to seed the filter pads the bacteria will grow itself but it takes longer.
Side note: I use the water from my main tanks water changes to do water changes on my QT, but I can do that as everything that has been added to my display water/tank has been through QT process previously so I know (well i am highly confident) it is pest free. If your main tank isnt pest free and you have not previously QT'd everything that went in it (corals, fish, etc) using your display tank water defeats purpose of QT and I do not recomend that but it sure saves on salt cost if you can which is why I mention it.
65g Reef
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 10:22am
Is there a special type of sponge to use?
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 10:25am
i just use a regular AquaClear sponge in my AquaClear. Any standard sponge should work (just not a live one Wink) although keep in mind that porous materials (such as sponges) will sometimes absorb copper if that's what you're going to use. Therefore you will need to test your copper levels and adjust the dose as necessary, but be very careful not to overdose.
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 10:25am
65g Reef
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:24am
It depends what sort of treatment I'm doing.

My coral qt has an actual sump with live rock and sand. It also has gfo, carbon, and a skimmer.

My fish qt tanks all differ. If I'm doing the tank transfer method, I don't run any filter since I swap tanks and do a 100% water change every couple of days. The ammonia never builds up. If it does, then I dose amquel.

If I'm running chloroquine, prazipro, etc., then I run a sponge filter driven by an airline. I use a HOB, but without media.

If I'm running antibiotics, then I dose amquel. I will sometimes add a sponge filter if the antibiotics won't harm the good bacteria too much.

Hyposalinity gets a sponge filter initially. Then I remove it as the bacteria may die when the salinity gets too low.

Hope that helps.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic