Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ricordia Mushroom Dying

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ricordia Mushroom Dying
    Posted: May 29 2013 at 10:14pm
I just started getting into saltwater tanks. I bought a bunch of live rock from a guy on here and it came with a few corals attached. It looks like my ricordia mushroom is getting pretty beat up by my puffers.

With it dying can that hurt anything else in my tank? It is only a couple inches across.
I have not failed....I have just found 1000 ways that don't work.

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 10:43pm
It won't hurt if it dies, FYI puffer are not reef safe (eat coral)
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 5:17pm
Yeah I found that out as soon as I bought all my stuff. This all started because Walmart sold my wife two puffers in a gold fish bowl for my daughter. So when we went to the lfs and asked what we needed to do for them we ended up walking out with a 55 gallon aquarium.

Anyways I bought the live rock from a guy on here and all the coral that was attached just came along for the ride. I just got home from work today and that ricordia mushroom has been completely eaten and the leather toadstool that came with the rock is now looking very very bad. I guess I need to decide if I am going to do a FOWLR tank or if I am going to ditch the two puffers and step it up to do reef.
I have not failed....I have just found 1000 ways that don't work.

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 7:50pm
keep that tank as a fowlr... then buy a bigger one for a reef :)    welcome to the money pit. lol

480 in wall in progress
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Dan9554880 Dan9554880 wrote:

It won't hurt if it dies, FYI puffer are not reef safe (eat coral)
Yep, we know.

Aloha Preston,

Two things:
1. Train the puffers not to eat coral.
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34014
2. Feed them the kinds of food they like and add coral they don't like.
Google "what do pufferfish eat?" to find plenty of helpful responses, including what freshwater pufferfish like to eat. Providing ample quantity of the right food not just once a day but for snacking and grazing is one of the most important keys to keeping a healthy happy fish.

There was an article a few years ago about setting up predator tanks and how to make the tanks look colorful instead of just bare rock. Macroalgae was suggested of course but one suggestion caught my attention. That was to add Florida Photosynthetic Gorgonia. It said that this coral is generally distasteful to puffers. One of our friends in the WMAS shows how good a Gorgonia tank can look in the pic below. The Gorgonia is all the bushy tree-like coral. There are also Sinularia that have been avoided by puffers, but in this case it would definitely take some good training to help them learn to leave those alone.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
Almost always available to "talk reef"
Call or text 808-345-1049

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic