Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sand Sifting Starfish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sand Sifting Starfish
    Posted: June 06 2013 at 10:42am
So I was in Aquatic Dreams(fantastic store!) the other day with my wife(who is still in the reef tank conversion process) and she absolutely fell in love with a sand sifting starfish they were selling. Our system includes a 55 gal display and 20 gal sump. Currently we only have 3 residents, 1 melanurus wrasse, and 2 green chromis so I know we don't have a bioload sufficient to get the starfish. The system has been set up for only a couple months as well. My question is, will a sand sifting starfish *ever* do well in a 55 gal? And if so, how much of a bio-load should we have before getting one?

I have heard horror stories of these things starving to death, dying, and crashing the tank as a result. I'm trying to be more responsible than that.

Thanks in advance!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 7:35am
Aloha,

Some may disagree with me but the only time I recommend a SSStar is for an older sand bed in a tank that is 75gal or larger. And even then, the SSStar should only be a temporary resident. They can wipe out a live sand bed of all the good micro-fauna that are a big part of water filtration.

In a proper environment a SSStar is rarely seen because it finds plenty to eat underneath the sand surface. When it is very hungry it goes on the prowl, moving quite rapidly, searching the entire tank for a morsel of food. It's very likely that is why it looked interesting at the LFS.

That's my 2 cents. Smile

Mahalo,
Mark
808-345-1049 call or text to "talk reef"
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 9:17am
I both agree and disagree, mark is right that a SS star shouldn't be kept in a young tank, as is true for most starfish. But I have had a SSstar do fairly well in a 55 in the past. BUT, you will most likely never see it unless you like to creep on your tank at night.

Always here to talk salt
801-850-7577 Justin

Edited by AcroNem - June 07 2013 at 9:17am
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 9:34am
I kinda figured that is what the answer would be. Any other starfish recommendations that may appease the wife? I know my tank is too young now, but we're trying to plan the tank out well ahead of time. It would need to be "cute," visible, and able to live in a 55. Also, how old should the tank be before adding a star?
fishyman19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 10:15am
I 2 of those in my 55 gallon that had only been up for a couple months. One died and the other did great! I never saw it so I figured that it had moved on, but when I put in a harlequin shrimp to take care of my Astreia star problem the first thing I saw it eating was my sand sifting star...
90 Gallon mixed reef. Wife's 12 gallon nano cube mixed reef!
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 1:16pm
Get a cucumber instead.  They're quite ugly, but they are a great addition to a reef tank.  They keep the sand bed fairly well cleaned and they don't eat the micro-fauna, just algae.

BTW - I think many consider Fromia sea stars to be reef safe.  But again, a more mature tank would be most suitable.  You might look for one of those in six months to scratch that itch.

Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 3:04pm
+1on fromia I think that they will be the best choice of all other types of starfish.
But again your tank needs to be mature
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic