Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack's 75 Gallon Reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 8:33pm
I thought I'd give a little update on the tank. Still have two little chromis swimming around in there, and today I added my very first corals! They're not even opened up yet, but that doesn't mean I didn't take pics.

Here are my little blue palys. I don't remember what they're called. I guess I'm "that" guy.

Some purple star polyps.

Here's my green hammer coral.

And here's my red/orange montipora. We'll see what color it ends up under my lights.

None of these pictures turned out well. The focus was bad and the color is totally off, but I'm still excited. Let me know what you think.

Edited by 80cent - June 21 2013 at 9:11am
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 9:17pm
If you wanted more:

suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 1:44am
Jack thanks again Hope you like the corals!! your led lights are brighter than my metal halide lights even at 20% if I were you I would move the monti and the red star polyps down lower in your tank. until they get used to the light. the hammer and palys are probably ok but just watch them you might have to put everything on the sand bed for a couple of weeks. till they get used to your lights.
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 8:03am
Thanks for the tip. I'll make some adjustments today, but I wish I could get accurate pics to show just how much the colors pop in person. They really look cool.  
suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 10:37am
I thought they would I am glad you like them. when the monti gets big it will shadow a lot so keep that in mind when you place it. I don't have any coral that is growing under mine :)
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 8:26pm
Looks like you're off to a great start.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2013 at 8:12pm
Okay guys, we've made some progress on the tank. Here's a video update since I can't take still shots very well:

80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2013 at 3:31pm
I updated yesterday from my phone, but I'm still excited today. The chromis are schooling nicely all the time. The clowns are very pretty, but also very social. They follow me around the tank as I move around my office. The firefish goby's colors are so brilliant. I feel that this fish is underrated due to its low cost. 
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2013 at 3:47pm
looks good jack!! 
480 in wall in progress
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 1:33pm
Update on the tank: I've been learning. I went through a phase a few months ago where I was flat out neglecting the tank and just not doing water changes. I started doing water changes, but made a fatal error. Previously when I was just doing water top offs, I didn't add salt because salt doesn't evaporate, but since I have been doing water changes, I was wondering why my salt levels were so low. I have since realized why.

I added another powerhead, added some chaeto algae to my refugium and got a sand sifting goby (diamond watchman.) I have corrected the salt issues, and the tank is cleaner than ever with great water levels.

But there's another problem. I posted on here last week about a powerhead chopping up a fish, but since I lost THREE MORE chromis this week, I've realized that the little Emerald crab I picked up for some bubble algae ate not only the bubble algae, but my little fishies. I haven't been able to catch him, but that's my top priority (he's hiding in the rock work right now.) 

So that's my tank thread update. I will look to buy some new corals in the coming weeks and will update pictures at that time. 
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 2:13pm
Use a pop bottle trap the emerald should go right in, I would put it in close to lights out with meaty food and just watch for him to go in:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic