Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cleanup Crew Acclimation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleanup Crew Acclimation
    Posted: June 12 2013 at 7:23am
A friend and I are wanting to split the cost of a cleanup crew from reefcleaners.org. What is the procedure for acclimating snails and hermit crabs? Also, if we open up the bags at his house, and split the crew up putting mine in ziplock bags for a 15 minute trip to my house, will that adversely affect the crew?

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 8:02am
Aloha,

Snails and hermits are built to be out of water and are accustomed to being out of the water during tidal and wave action. They breathe through their damp skin. They can close their operculum, the door to their shell, to protect themselves during exposure to air and still breath good enough.

The water in the transport bag gets pretty nasty so draining off that water, letting them close up, if they are not already closed, letting them adjust to being out of the water for just a couple minutes and then dropping them into the good water of the tank has always worked for me. Just last week I added 50 snails to my new 40 gal in the window and haven't lost one.

Don't try to separate them. Let them hang together. Drop the clump right into the tank on the sand nearest the most algae covered glass or on top of the rock with the worst algae. Watch the Astrea Snails to be sure they right themselves and help them. Margarita and Cerith Snails don't need much help, but if one hasn't righted itself after 10 minutes, give it a hand.

I typically don't clean the glass before I add a lot of snails. Remember, these critters have been in transfer tanks with 1000's of other snails. They are very hungry and weak from hunger. Help them get to the algae as soon as possible. It takes a few days for them to fully recover from their fasting during transport.

If these are Nassarius Snails, they will dive into the sand immediately.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text anytime

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 12 2013 at 8:05am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic