Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

trachyphyllia dying?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Erikts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 4:16pm
FYI it did not make it. Cry Melted away in less than a day.  
34G solana
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 4:57pm
I'm sorry to hear that. I feared the worst.

For those of you interested in my experience, here's some of it. I knew how controversial this was going to be, and I didn't have time to sit here and debate it, especially with a coral quickly dying. I still don't want to debate it without actual scientific proof to the contrary.

Several other reefkeepers and I have been studying trachyphyllia issues specifically for the last three years. Most issues are caused by simple stuff: water parameters, etc. However, there's definitely something else going on in another group of issues. I've managed to save 4 now with those issues, but I lost a lot trying. (More info:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1918483)

What I've seen happen is that a mouth die below the tissue on Trachy's (but will appear normal for a little while), and once the mouth goes, that whole side will start to go...which triggers an infection that kills the remaining healthy coral. When I've noticed this happening, the only way I've been able to save the healthy side is to cut off all necrotic tissue and into the healthy tissue. Then, I superglue the healthy tissue onto the freshly cut skeleton.dip it in a 10:1 tank water to hydrogen peroxide solution for 20 seconds, followed by a 10 minute dip in 0.5ml Bayer to 2 cups tank water, followed by a 10 minute dip in Coral Rx. If the recession nears the other mouth, then it's probably too late.

I don't know what causes this, and unfortunately my microscope broke. If I leave out any one of the three dips above, I haven't had a trachy make it. I'm not sure why that combination so far has been successful, but it has (as long as there is at least one fully healthy mouth.) Hydrogen peroxide dips tend to kill off nuisance algae, Bayer is an insecticide, and Coral Rx is great for infections. I do all three dips on most sick corals just to hit all three areas. I don't know why this particular syndrome (if I may call it that) responds to all three.   

Edited by ReefdUp - July 01 2013 at 4:58pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 9:21pm
Sorry to hear the Trach didn't make it.

Nikki,

Would this type of treatment be useful in treating other LPS. While I have never had a Trach I have had a nice size wall hammer with flesh that started receding on one end and seemed to work it's way down into the skeleton eventually loosing all of its tentacles and dying. I was new to the hobby and didn't know how to treat it and cutting a wall hammer seemed risky to me. I'm pretty sure the cause was an overly aggressive maroon clownfish damaged the tissue on the edge of the skeleton and an infection set in. Could a similar treatment be used in such a situation to stop the spread of infection and save the coral? Also Bayer makes a few different insecticides, is there a particular product you use for the dip?

Thanks for the brief description of the treatment. I'll have to file this one and the other links for future reference.

Edited by bfessler - July 02 2013 at 8:40am
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 9:32pm
Hi Burt...

I hope you mean that it was losing all of its tentacles....   

I treat nearly all my sick LPS with that three-step dip process. It seems to knock out everything on a sick coral. I don't recommend it for a healthy coral though. Most infections are knocked out with CoralRx and good water parameters...unless it's Vibrio (causes widespread bleaching in a coral usually.)

Bayer is great for real pests/parasites. However, it's nasty stuff, so I wouldn't touch it...and keep it away from kids. Here's all the info you'll need on it.
http://www.reefdup.com/2012/09/02/bayer-coral-dip/

Hydrogen peroxide dips are one that I rarely recommend to anyone but someone really experienced. It's tricky to tell when to pull the coral out... But, if you get experienced with it, it kills off all the bryopsis, bubble algae, etc.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 11:01pm
Yes, the Bayer works very well.  And it can also be used for lawn grubs.
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2013 at 7:33am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Hi Burt...

I hope you mean that it was losing all of its tentacles....   

I treat nearly all my sick LPS with that three-step dip process. It seems to knock out everything on a sick coral. I don't recommend it for a healthy coral though. Most infections are knocked out with CoralRx and good water parameters...unless it's Vibrio (causes widespread bleaching in a coral usually.)

Bayer is great for real pests/parasites. However, it's nasty stuff, so I wouldn't touch it...and keep it away from kids. Here's all the info you'll need on it.
http://www.reefdup.com/2012/09/02/bayer-coral-dip/

Hydrogen peroxide dips are one that I rarely recommend to anyone but someone really experienced. It's tricky to tell when to pull the coral out... But, if you get experienced with it, it kills off all the bryopsis, bubble algae, etc.

Sorry for the typo, yes I did mean losing.

I'm pretty familiar with using Hydrogen Peroxide to kill off nuisance algae. I usually try to remove the corals from the tank and spot treat then replace but have on occasion done a dip. Thanks for the info on Bayre.
Burt

[email protected]
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2013 at 8:30am
LOL...I wasn't talking about loosing vs losing.

I was talking about what you typed instead of tentacles. I hope the coral wasn't losing it's testicles!!
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2013 at 8:38am
Got to love automatic spell checkers. Well at least I'll give everyone a laugh over that one.

Edited by bfessler - July 02 2013 at 8:41am
Burt

[email protected]
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2013 at 9:20am
Was wondering if there is any scientific testing that has been done on corals that has lost their testicles.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2013 at 9:26am
Hi Paul,

Sounds like a good research project for you. Check it out and report back.
Burt

[email protected]
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2013 at 9:27am
Maybe Mark has a all natural way to keep up the corals testosterone levels.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2013 at 11:40am
Originally posted by builderofdreams builderofdreams wrote:

Maybe Mark has a all natural way to keep up the corals testosterone levels.
Aptasia slime dip

Edited by Pete Moss - July 02 2013 at 11:41am
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic