Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Utah winter greenhouse?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 9:43am
Thanks for posting that Jeremy.

Aloha Andrew,

Please contact me at [email protected] or 808-345-1049.

There are only a few other places I have found that used the earth sheltered concepts for a greenhouse, but they used only partial AGS/PAHS concepts. My goal is to use a fully subsurface method of cooling and heating to completely eliminate the need for electrical cooling and heating equipment and monthly bills.

Solar tubes are good. I also installed one on my previous home. Lighting is actually not a problem but for the size of greenhouse I have envisioned, too many solar tubes would be required to light dozens of coral farm troughs. The need is an ability to adjust louvers on south facing glazing to bring in more sunlight during Winter Solstice and yet restrict sunlight during Summer Solstice.

Aloha Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 10:03am
Update:
We have been checking into the local greenhouses that use geothermal heating. They still use electrically operated evaporative cooling in the summer. Some are pretty much abandoned and in disrepair. Looking at these as a possible interim facility, I'm not convinced. It feels to me like a compromise solution. Is it the right thing?
simpleyork View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 2:47pm
hey they do have vents that will open and close by themselves depending on the tempurature of the greenhouse   http://www.simplysolargreenhouses.com/vents2.html  , no electricity needed, on another thought, blinds used to reflect the light/heat some can help keep it cooler. Another idea are fans that are using solar panels for their electricity.
sorry if this is a repeat 

Edited by simpleyork - May 12 2014 at 2:53pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 8:50am
To answer your questions let me put it this way. Many many years ago, as a kid, I remember being in Timpanogos cave where the Ranger told us the temperature stays at around 50-55 all year. The PAHS(Passive Annual Heat Storage) and AGS(Annualized Geo Solar) concept is that we create a cave designed to keep the greenhouse at 65-85 all year.

Yes, those automatic vents are awesome but may be unnecessary.
The adjustable louvers/blinds for control of visible light will be outside to control the amount of summer heat that enters the structure.
If solar panels are used, it will be for running water pumps to further reduce dependence on purchased electricity.

This last winter, I came to the realization that ground water in the cave may be counter productive to keeping the greenhouse at 65-85 degrees.

* I just had another epiphany.* Why can't the insulating umbrella be just lightly covered with a protective layer of dirt rather than 2 feet underground?  What other changes could be made to this insulation umbrella which is meant to be a barrier to heat draining precipitation and moderator of seasonal temperature extremes?

It's time to revise the drawings.

Aloha Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 13 2014 at 9:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic