Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corals Melting (Updated 7/17/13)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corals Melting (Updated 7/17/13)
    Posted: June 17 2013 at 1:21pm
Right after the reef tour my tank started having some problems.  I lost a large sour apple and an ORA green birds nest.   Right after that I had a purple and green stag, and a pearberry start dropping flesh.  I fragged both of them and it looked like the pearberry was going to make it until last week what was left of it dropped it's flesh.   In the last week I have had a pink birds nest drop its flesh and I have several other corals that are not looking very good.  I have done every test that I know to do. 
So here are some pic's and stats at this point I am not sure that to do.  I have cano all over the tank and I am just don't know where to start. 

PH 7.98-8.17 Day night swing
Cal 440   Dosing about 110 ML a day
Alk 9 to 10.2 Dosing about 100 ML a day
Mag 1400  Not dosing and holding with water changes
Phosphate 0.17. Was at 0.03 before the start of the problems.
Ammonia 0 as best I can tell
NO2 and NO3 at 0

The part that you see browned out is within the last 48 hours

This one just started dropping flesh last night

Pic 3 days ago when if first started to drop it's flesh. I even moved it down to my frag rack.

Shot this morning.Cry

Edited by lskurys - July 17 2013 at 12:06pm
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 1:23pm
Get phosphates down and see if that helps.
icenine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icenine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 1:44pm
The cyano is a sign that something is out of wack, I would look at doing some large scale water changes.
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 1:45pm
This Is never fun to see, I had this happen back when I was a kid with my first tank it was awful. I'm sorry to see this happen. No doubt mark will come on with advice he's always helpful but first I'd say get phosphate down and check for anything else that is abnormal. Are they dropping flesh or Is something hurting/bothering/eating them? You could try a disinfectant dip on the others and do big water changes to try and stop any spreading.

Always here 801-850-7577
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Ann_A Ann_A wrote:

Get phosphates down and see if that helps.
I am working on that.  Reactor is running.  I think it went up because of the dropped flesh.  I am going to do a few water changes this week to see if that will help.  At this point not sure what else to do. 
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 2:39pm
I can swing by....just call or text me. I'll bring my kits.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 4:07pm
bummer! Let us know if you need anything.

Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I can swing by....just call or text me. I'll bring my kits.

Definitely call her! She has kits :)
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 4:09pm
So sorry to see this! I know how it feels to just start loosing things and not know why!
You didn't mix your sand bed up or anything right?
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 4:22pm
Oh man that's horrible.
I would accept Nikki's offer to come and look it over, ASAP.
Originally posted by lskurys lskurys wrote:

Right after the reef tour my tank started having some problems.

This leads to the question I always find useful, What did you do or add to the tank in the month before the problems started? A new coral, new filtration media, a new piece of equipment, new lights or even a new fish? Also, did you change any maintenance procedure, use a bucket that may have had some bad stuff in it or change additives?

Is it possible during the RT that someone threw a copper penny or something else into the tank?

How about the TDS of your RO water, any change there? It's a long shot, but even something in the tap water could come through in minute amounts in the RO water.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 17 2013 at 4:25pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 8:00pm
Mark,

There were only a couple of changes to my system before I started having problems with my tank.  I added a birds nest to they system ( the pink one pictured today) and I did changed my salt.  I got a pretty good deal through Bulkreefsupply.com  on some Red Sea Pro.  

Nikki stopped by the house (thanks again Nikki) She double check my test with her test and also tested a few other things that I did not have test for.  She was pretty stumped also.  She did say that she had a problem like on one of her tanks in the past.  

So I have picked up some new salt and I am in the process of making new water with it.  I am going to do another 30 gallon water change tomorrow and watch and wait.  

With the phosphate's I know that they will come back down in to place when all the corals stop dropping there flesh. 

I would love any other Ideas and I will also update if there is any change with the water change tomorrow night. 
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 8:15pm
Yes, half the tank looked great...the other half...not so much. My tests showed alk was a bit high and Ca was a bit low (nothing crazy, especially given a fresh water change before I got there.)

This was the issue I mentioned at your place...see if this looks similar.

Before:

After:

www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 8:28pm
wow that does look just like what is going on in my tank.  I sure hope that the water change tomorrow will help 

suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 10:30am
so how do you figure out what happened then? if it just randomly starts and stops?
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 1:05pm
Well I would not have thought about the salt mix.  Normally when I would do a water change with my old cheap salt mix things would look happy and much better after the water change.  Because I was not thinking about the salt mix, I though that I was doing something wrong so I was going through things like PH, Lighting, and dosing.  I was making small adjustments then I would wait a few day to see if things looked better.   Also keep in mind that I have alot of things in my tank that seem to be doing very well and are happy.  That is what was driving me so crazy.    I am really excited to do the water change tonight hoping that this is the one thing that I have been overlooking. 
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 1:42pm
Are you going to use the same salt you have been using?
From what I read it seems like your salt is
the common denominator. Why did you change salt if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by builderofdreams - June 18 2013 at 1:49pm
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 2:13pm
I used Instan Ocean when I set up my tank.  I did not have any real problems with it.  When I would do a water change I will have to dose a little extra to get the levels back to what I would like them.  I was doing a larger order from Bulkreef. From what I had read the Red Sea had better spec with there salt mix so I would not need to does after my water change.  I really though it would be a good thing. I was also thinking that it would save me time, and give me even more stable water.   

With the Red sea I did not have to does extra after a water change.  I really did not even start to think that this might be the problem until last night.  Nikki tested everything in the tank that she could think of that would cause this type of issue. The salt was the only real change to the tank about the time things started going down hill.  I did the first water change with the Red Sea mix 4 days before the reef tour.  

I am still not saying that it is the salt mix.  I am saying that right now it is the only Idea I have right now.  
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 2:23pm
your not going to change your water with that red sea salt are You?
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 2:29pm
Years ago, RSCP had some issues with their salt, and that was what caused my problem above. I'm not saying it's the same thing, but it is easy to rule out with a simple water change.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by builderofdreams builderofdreams wrote:

your not going to change your water with that red sea salt are You?

I do believe he said he was doing the water change with his other salt
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 2:57pm
Picked up Some new salt mix last night and started mixing it. I did do a water change yesterday with the red sea salt with no improvements to the tank. I am hoping that after tonight I see improvements. If I do see good improvement in the tank with the new salt mix I will do about a 90% water change over the next week or so.

Well that is my plan any way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic