Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP! IDEAS NEEDED - LEGOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mathgirlbia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathgirlbia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! IDEAS NEEDED - LEGOS
    Posted: June 17 2013 at 10:38pm
So. . . I am currently putting together my tank, and my younger brother has convinced me (didn't take much) to put Legos in between my reef work, of course this was after the hours of him insisting that I should have a porcupine puffer (you can imagine why I said no). Now I need ideas of how to go about getting these little things to stick with out floating, and for wickedly awesome ideas in how to incorporate them into it all without completely looking out of place. IDEAS???? IDEAS???? IDEAS????!!!

Edited by mathgirlbia - June 17 2013 at 10:39pm
"Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself."        "Then biologists are an attempt by bags of chemical goo to figure out how bags of chemical goo work."
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 11:39pm
well my first question is why legos?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathgirlbia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Mr.Gray Mr.Gray wrote:

well my first question is why legos?

Did I mention my brother is a ten year old boy who loves legos??? and did I menttion that Legos are pretty cool? His room is almost literally made out of Legos, plus (as my physics teacher always said). . . Why not?
"Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself."        "Then biologists are an attempt by bags of chemical goo to figure out how bags of chemical goo work."
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 11:48pm
why not? well it has been found that some plastics will actually leech bad things into our systems. And personally the less chances of this the better imo. However, if you are willing to risk it then i'd suggest gel superglue. the cheapest is found at the dollar store and works well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathgirlbia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 11:52pm
wouldn't the gel superglue from the dollar store be more likely to leech some sort of chemicals into the system? the Legos were made to be kid safe (at least chemically wise, not it's size) yet glue is a bit more dangerous? I must add, there are definitely quite a few legos in aquariums at Legoland

Edited by mathgirlbia - June 17 2013 at 11:53pm
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 11:59pm
The salt water would eat the legos up over time wouldnt it? I remember seeing on Tanked that they coated their tank props with something. I do not recall what they used though.

Edited by Jeepkid - June 18 2013 at 12:38pm
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathgirlbia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 12:05am
mmmmhhh, you might have a point Jeepkid, maybe I should find out about that coating. . .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathgirlbia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 12:12am
on to other part of the topic, once i find if i need to coat them and a good glue, aquascaping, mix of reef and legos, IDEAS???
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 12:29am
gel superglue is used on bassically every frag you buy that is mounted on a plug. i'm pretty sure it's been tested enough to be considered safe ;)
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 5:31am
im no chemical engineer but a quick wikipedia search for super glue (Cyanoacrylate) makes it sound like its pretty much an air activated acrylic resin... 100% safe for the tank!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 6:03am
You do know the Legos will get covered in coralline algae eventually? This might look good; just know they will eventually all be purple. That said how about a sunken ship?

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 6:42am
I didn't read everything above....
I've done it! Lego are awesome. You have to glue every single piece together as you go. I used testors plastic model glue. And you need a large base platform, so that the rocks will hold it all down. You'll be storied with how much air gets held on the bottom side of legos.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 8:13am
The coating that Tanked uses to enable them to put odd things in their tanks is automotive clear. What they don't tell or show you is it take 30-45 days to fully cure the clear. Even baking automotive clear does not fully cure it, only allows me to reassemble the car without waiting for it to fully cure.
Originally posted by mathgirlbia mathgirlbia wrote:

on to other part of the topic, once i find if i need to coat them and a good glue, aquascaping, mix of reef and legos, IDEAS???

Edited by builderofdreams - June 18 2013 at 8:14am
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathgirlbia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 11:59am
I'm not going to put any coating on it, I'm going to let the alge form on it, it'll look more real that way. I like the idea of a wrecked ship, but I might (might) go for the wrecked fishing crew instead, maybe. Do any of you remember the disney movie, Atlantis: the Lost Empire? I might go for something like that but with a lego twist, what do you think?
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 5:38pm
I like it! What would make your brother (and you) happy?

jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

That said how about a sunken ship?

That would be a cool.  I vote on a sunken ship
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2013 at 7:27am
I love the lego idea! I'm toying with the idea of an aggressive fish only tank and I have thought of putting a couple lego scenes in as part of the aquascape.

However, I'm not sure about your fishing accident idea. Most of the wrecked fishing boats I've dove on all have miles of nets that just kill fish, seals, and the occasional unwary diver. If I were doing it I wouldn't do a wrecked fishing boat in your fish tank. It's just too dangerous Wink 
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathgirlbia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2013 at 7:48am
I totally get what you mean John. Right now I only have the scuba diver lego man, and an extra large lego man that my brother built for me, I might stick them in, in a way that looks like they are lost toys that got stuck in the ocean. Hopefully when the algae starts growing it'll look more natural. Maybe a wrecked motor boat, or a "hidden" cave with the lost treasure and the scuba diver looking for it.
Luv68tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luv68tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2013 at 7:59am
LOL love this, we shall never grow up! They can't make us!
~Michelle
ajsahm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajsahm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 6:00am
use tile to glue the legos to and then use the rock and sand to help hold them down. 

75g - In the process of building
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic