Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Helipirate's 38 G NUVO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Helipirate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helipirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Helipirate's 38 G NUVO
    Posted: June 19 2013 at 9:39pm
Hi everyone. This is my first fish tank, I always wanted a salt water aquarium. It is an Innovative Marine 38G Nuvo. Spin stream nozzles and an Innovative marine skimmer. Lighting is stock Skkye Light dual strip dimmable LED. Probably a little under powered but everything is doing well with it so far. Live rock hitch hikers were one Aiptasia which we got rid of and haven't seen any others. A brittle star, bristle worms, a couple really small snails and thats about it. Its been up about 2 months now and going really well. We spend hours looking at all the life inside. 

The stand that was offered with the aquarium looked flimsy and cheap so I welded my own up.

Added some live rock and live sand, never saw any signs of a cycle even after leaving some raw shrimp in the tank for the first week or so. All zeros on all the tests so I added a Cardinal and fire fish, then two clowns and some chromies. Also have a halloween urchin who is funny to watch. Also some Zoa's, Acro, a leather, frogspawn, meteor crater and a couple others. Let me know what you think :)

Urchin eats nori really well and chows down other algae and loves to dress up.

Eagle eyes and some clove polyps. Some green zoas.

Leather

Meteor

Red and green acro

frogspawn

Dont remember what this one is but its bright orange

Had some peppermint shrimp but they attacked my anemone and my frogspawn and tore it to bits so they found another home, also had a haitian condy anemone for about 6 weeks but it started moving around to much and I didn't want my new corals to get stung so it found a really good new home as well. 

Plans for the tank are a few more fish, something colorful and lively but haven't decided what yet. Also want to get some of the more exotic zoas. I probably wont get to much of the hard corals especially with my lighting. Hope you all like it I have read a lot on the forum already and appreciate all the good advice.

JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 9:42pm
Welcome to the site and hobby! The tank looks great and I love the stand.
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 10:10pm
Welcome! very cool looking tank, that stand is awesome!
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 10:31pm
Hello. Tank looks great,
Like the rock work.
One suggestion take that thermostat out and only put it in when needed.
Full of mercury and are easily broke. Sorry. Flashbacks of that nightmare.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 11:21pm
Don't want to get off topic on your build thread but if its a modern thermometer with a red liquid, which it looks like it is, it is most likely ethanol dyed red not mercury. I'm sure it wouldn't be good if it broke, just be careful where you place it.
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 6:02am
That is looking good!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helipirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by builderofdreams builderofdreams wrote:

Hello. Tank looks great,
Like the rock work.
One suggestion take that thermostat out and only put it in when needed.
Full of mercury and are easily broke. Sorry. Flashbacks of that nightmare.

It doesn't have mercury but it is glass and could probably break easy, so that is a good idea. My Urchin will drag it to the bottom and then lose its grip on it and it will shoot up into the lid. I moved it to the sump now.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. The stand was easy to make, only took a few hours and a bunch of scrap iron but I really like the look of it too.

Edited by Helipirate - June 22 2013 at 5:00pm
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65068&title=helipirates-38-g-nuvo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helipirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 8:35pm
I made some more additions and changes to the aquarium.

I just got rid of the Innovative Marine skimmer. It had crazy micro bubbles for days after the smallest water change, it was also very noisy. I read good reviews on the Hydor Slim skimmer so I received that today. It fits in the same compartment as the innovative marine unit so that works out well. It had no micro bubbles at all and started producing skim mate about 15 minutes after I put it in the tank! It is also very quite so I am very happy with it already.

I added a purple fire fish which almost never comes out of its cave unfortunately so no pictures. I also got a beautiful Mandarin dragonet. I have had my eye on him at The Aquarium for a few weeks but didn't want him to starve in my tank since it is only a few months old and doesn't have a ton of sand. I picked him up though after I witnessed that he eats mysis with no problem which is great because from what I read, most won't eat frozen food. This one eats it well and is pretty large.

A new beautiful Blood Fire Shrimp and a few Red Hornet Zoa's in the lower portion of the picture.

Can anyone tell me what this is? The orange on it is very bright and glowing, it looks incredible. It eats mysis if it is spot fed.

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65068&title=helipirates-38-g-nuvo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helipirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 7:45pm
Updating my thread.

I decided to enclose my stand since I am acquiring way too much aquarium stuff.
Went from this

To this

Some updated pics of the tank.. I got a lot of red slime algae I am trying to deal with right now. But the live rock is covered in Coraline now. Nothing is growing quick but it is growing. 

Edited by Helipirate - November 16 2013 at 7:50pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 8:25pm
 I like the aquascaping and the enclosed stand is cool!

Edited by Mike Savage - November 16 2013 at 8:26pm

Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 10:41pm
Very nicely done. Lots of diversity in the tank and that stand really kicks it! Good looking set up. Most of us go through phases with differing algae as the tank matures. Nothing to really worry about, just keep up with your water tests and keep the balance right. I've found on the red outbreaks that a bit less light seems to help. When I had an outbreak, I'll get up in the mornting to a clean tank and by 4:00 pm it's everywhere. Seems to thrive in the light (which makes sense).
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 7:52am
Nice job with this. Everything looks happy and the stand is great. 

The cyano takes a three pronged attack. Less light, less food, and more water changes (with RO/DI water) should get it done. If you aren't using RO water for water changes, that alone may help.

@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helipirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 1:40pm
Update. I added little fuge for the back of my Nuvo. Got a little submersible 10 watt light to put in the back. Thanks to willstang for the macro!

Here is an updated picture of the whole thing. Thanks for your comments and advice you all have given me.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 11:03pm
Nice, I love my fuge rack and 10w submersible light:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helipirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 11:10pm
Lost my little diamond goby today :( I have a glass lid on my nuvo and he managed to jump out through one of the two tiny holes to put your finger in to lift it up. Found him on the floor in the morning. Bummed, he was so cool! Might have to switch to a net lid or something in the future

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 8:54am
That is a bummer. I change out my glass lid for a screen and like it better.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic