Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feather duster advice please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feather duster advice please
    Posted: June 20 2013 at 7:02am
I've been contemplating a feather duster. So after some research, I've found that starvation sets in within 6 months unless you feed plankton to your tank. I'm not sure i want to add more nutrients to my tank. Will they accept any other food? What's your experience?
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 7:35am
Aloha,

I believe FDW's eat phytoplanton but not zooplankton. They thrive and grow larger for me when I feed the tank Phyto Paste from Brine Shrimp Direct. It feeds all the filter feeders, including lots of the things that live on LR and in the sand.
I need some myself if you want to save $ and split a bottle with me.

Mark Hug

Mike Savage took this pic for my TOTM a few years ago.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 8:53am
Does introducing phyto cause excess nutrient concerns? Since I'm sumpless and no refugium I'm cautious about stuff like that. How much does that phytoplankton you mentioned cost?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 9:10am
There are no excess nutrient concerns, because with all the organisms that eat it, the actual amount of algae used is small and the growth effect is very positive. It actually enhances the biofiltration capacity of the tank.
Here is the link to the one that I like. http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c6/Tahitian-Blend-Reef-Tank-Formula-c59.html The 500 ml bottle is a better bargain but I cannot use it all. When I was raising clownfish, I split the bottle with another clownfish grower. It fed rotifers for 4 months which is about the extent of it's prime shelf life. If you are interested, I'd be happy to do a group buy thread and go pick up the order.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 10:47am
I've had the same feather duster for 2.5 years and have only rarely used phyto. I'm not sure what's kept it alive though. Probably just nutrients from feedin that float around in the tank.
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 12:43pm
That's what I was curious of. Can a feather duster survive on other nutrients in the water. Like after I feed mysis to the fish?
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 1:05pm
In my case, I would have to say nutrients.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 1:08pm
I guess I missed the real question. Sorry, I was thinking of optimum conditions.  Yes, the cloudy water that comes with frozen foods is food for invertebrates and algae. I believe that good reef tanks grow populations of phyto and zooplankton. That is a good reason for starting a new tank with some Live Water.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 1:32pm
Mark, what do you think is the likelihood of a 3 yr old tank having a phyto or zooplankton population?
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 1:56pm
I have 2 coco worms along with 2 clams, lps corals, and zoas.  I notice everything is allot happier when I am consistently adding in phytoplankton and oyster feast.  I only ran a protein skimmer for a while and no carbon.  My water looked great and no issues with nitrates or phosphates, I am now running carbon.  I add about 1 tbs of phytoplankton about 4 to 5 times a week and 1/2 tsp of oyster feast about 4 to 5 times a week.  Another benefit of adding phytoplankton is you will get more copepods and other beneficial bugs thriving in your tank.

I love the coco worms, they add movement to the tank.  It's fun to see the growth on their tubes as well.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 3:28am
Aloha,

I'm with Softplan. It really makes a difference to feed the invertebrates. The food chain begins with algae. Why not feed the teeny animals that make the difference in the biofiltration.
Jeff, what is the phyto that you use?

Yes, there is phytoplankton in almost every reef tank. It can be seen with a microscope. Only if a reef tank has a large UV Sterilizer and/or has been mistreated will we not find any plankton.

Algae growth on the glass proves the point that there is single celled algae in the water of your reef tank.

Here is a fun experiment:
If like me, you don't have access to a microscope, scoop out a glass/jar of tank water and let it sit in partial direct sunlight near a window. Try to keep it at a reasonable temperature, not too hot, and watch algae start to grow on the sides of the jar. Also, depending on whether or not a few rotifers were scooped up, the water may also turn green with phyto or turn slightly cloudy with rotifers.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 3:59am
I've been using Reef Nutrition Phyto Feast.  My next project is to grown my own phytoplankton.  Do you know of anyone I could get a start from?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 4:03am
Sure, here is a very recent thread: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65022

DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 4:17am
Mark,
   I would be interested in trying some myself, probably the large bottle. It would be nice to save on shipping. Let me know if you decide to buy.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 6:05am
I wish there were more people up north that were in the hobby.  It seems most things are Layton south.  Unfortunately Saratoga Springs is a little far.  Thanks 
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 2:46pm
How about this?

j/k
I don't bother growing it any more.
I've grown phyto many, many times and have always given it up when the culture crashed too soon.
It's much less time consuming and actually economical to use concentrated algae paste. See the group order here: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65102

Aloha,
Mark Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic