Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jones Family Reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jacknugget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacknugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jones Family Reef
    Posted: June 21 2013 at 2:42pm
I suppose it's time to get our thread started. My wife and I have been keeping reef tanks for a couple years now and we're finally putting together our dream tank. Up until now we've kept medium sized tanks 40-65 gallons and always more than one. Sometime this week (hopefully) we will be combining our two tanks into a 125 gallon. The planning started several months ago when I picked up the tank and a stand from Jake (seamonkey here on the forum). We decided to build a custom stand for the tank to sit on.  Here's a couple pictures of the stand along the way. In the first picture the stand has been framed and the face installed.
In the second picture you can see the moldings and drink ledge. We still need to antique the paint and mount the cabinet doors. That should hopefully get done tonight.

125 Mixed Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacknugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 2:53pm
The tank was used for freshwater and hadn't been drilled. I decided to go BIG on the overflow (overkill) and installed the 3000 GPH glassholes over-flow. I drilled 4 holes total with one on each end for the return. For the filtration we went with an eliteaquatics model 2 sump. Can't wait to see this thing with some water in it!
125 Mixed Reef
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 3:16pm
Looking good! That is exciting.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 3:18pm
Exciting we just started our 90g upgrade!
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2013 at 5:59am
Congratz on the new build! The stand is looking great and thanks for sharing.
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
Luv68tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luv68tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2013 at 8:01am
Can't wait to see the stand when done!
~Michelle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacknugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 4:45pm
Thanks for the kind words. Last night we got the stand and tank moved into our new place and now the fun can really start. Tonight we're going to install the cabinet doors and suspend lights over the tank. I'll take more photos tonight and post them tomorrow. I have to say that the stand is turning out much better than I could have expected.
125 Mixed Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacknugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 1:25pm
Stand's all finished!
Here it is with the tank sitting on top.

125 Mixed Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacknugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 1:40pm
Did you notice what's hanging above the tank? I'm pretty excited about firing these bad boys up!
125 Mixed Reef
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 1:54pm
Nice! Those are sweet!
seamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 1:57pm
WOW very nice. now i wish i kept the tank. LOL it's going to look sweet when its all setup and running.
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 3:06pm
Nice lights and stand!  Where did you move too?
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacknugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 3:36pm
Thank you! I'm in North Salt Lake now. Our tanks are still at the old place so we're anxious to get our livestock moved over. Looks like that should happen this weekend.
125 Mixed Reef
Luv68tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luv68tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 9:18pm
Love it, nice job!
~Michelle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacknugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 10:26am
All systems are GO for launch this weekend! Last night we installed the background, finished the plumbing and got the tank leveled.
125 Mixed Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacknugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 10:52am
I'm still brainstorming on the best way to move our livestock. I'm open to any suggestions that might make things smoother. We have a 65 gallon and a 50 gallon and need the water from both in order to fill the new tank. Right now we're planning on two 25 gallon water changes, one friday and one saturday with all the waste water going into the new tank. The 65 has a sump filled with rubble rock, chaeto and skimmer. Saturday, after the water change, I'll disconnect the sump and transfer everything into the new sump. I'll leave the 65 gallon display with without a sump till Sunday. That will give me roughly 75 gallons of water before I even drain the two tanks. Then, Saturday night I'll pour in all the new sand and let the dust clear overnight. I think that should put us in good position to move all the rock, fish and water on Sunday. What do you guys think?

Edited by Jacknugget - June 28 2013 at 10:53am
125 Mixed Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacknugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 10:50am
What a weekend! As of midnight last night we're finally up and running with no leaks. The past few days have consisted of diagnosing and trying to correct small leaks with our overflow. Long story short... We've come to appreciate silicone grease and won't install another bulkhead without it. This is how the tank has looked since Sunday night.
Running about 2/3 full with the rest of the water in a garbage can. The fish and corals didn't seem the least bit bothered. Now we can try aquascaping this bad boy.
125 Mixed Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacknugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 12:04pm
I thought I'd share photos of the new tank and some of the inhabitants.
Male black ice in stichodactyla gigantea. In this tank we have 6 clowns total with 3 pairs in 3 different anemones. Disaster waiting to happen? We'll see.
Newest addition: Lubbocks fairy wrasse doing some people watching.
Picasso/ snowcasso pair with rainbow bubble tip
Since switching to LEDs i've noticed that my camera doesn't really capture the colors very well. It did an awesome job taking pics under T5 or MH. Has anyone here found a camera that works good with radions? Or is the light playing tricks on my eyes to make me think everything is glowing?
I'm so grateful that my wife loves this hobby as much as me. I would have a tough time justifying the cost to a non-believer LOL.
125 Mixed Reef
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 12:11pm
The tank looks really good! The only way I can get my pics to turn out okay under LED's is by adjusting the white balance. 

Edited by rize2 - July 09 2013 at 12:11pm
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 12:12pm
What a good looking tank, great job on This! What other livestock do you plan on adding?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic