Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Useful is This

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
GonZo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonZo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2003 at 11:39pm

Statisticians can usually make the numbers they gather fit their theory. As such numbers are just that....numbers. I would suggest that the top 10 posters are the most experienced and reply the most often to share that experience. For example, I recently posted (I've got a low posting rate) and had two major posters reply quite quickly. In some of the longer posts, those with the knowledge converse back and forth giving those of us with out the knowledge a chance to listen at the feet of the "masters". So for every question from us newbies (term used relatively) there will be 5 experts with an answer or opinion. Also, how many unknowns are effecting results? (Ours and theirs) Some have mentioned greater business support for the club, another suggested the populace. SLC is not San Antonio, and therefore cannot be expected to have the same results (either good or bad). There are so many differences that it becomes difficult (if not impossible) to determine which are factors in those results.

Ok, so numbers can mean something, or nothing depending on point of view. So it comes down opinion. Does the forum meet my needs? Does it meet the needs of the club? Is there improvements that will benefit the current and future members? What are other sites doing well and would it be advantageous us to emulate it? IMHO I have never been involved with a better forum. They may have 284 members (how many of us have joined just to look around?), but I have a great local support system of fish nuts and store owners mixed with opinion, science and a lot of experience. Could the forum be improved....of course...there is nothing that can't be improved (except an ice cold glass of clean water). Are we changing to get better numbers, or more informed members. Me, I love it here (you probably can't tell). I'm making new friends, both with those on the forum and those in my tank. So...in short..."the WMAS has really helped me out and this forum has been a great place for me to get help"

Cortney (West Jordan)
The joy of discovery is certainly the liveliest that the mind of man can ever feel. - Claude Bernard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic