Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hawkins Enchinara Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MickeyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawkins Enchinara Problems
    Posted: July 11 2013 at 10:43am
I have a very stable system and grow all other sps like weeds. I recently purchased an established frag of Hawkins. I brought the frag home. Did a quick Coral RX dip and put it on my sandbed. The next morning is was completely bleached white with a little blue on the tips not the amazing color it was the night before. While trying to find a solution I read on another forum that dipping this acro usually results in death. Anyone else have experience with this? Any input would be great !
50G Rimless Artisian II Cube
29G Biocubeonsteroids
Text:801-703-0230
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 10:45am
I just found this on another forum...

"In the event that you do dip it.... cut the time to about half of what you normally dip your corals in. Enchinata's and Turaki's are extremely sensitive to the Coral RX and can bleach out over night. I learned that the hard way with the Turaki. After dipping place in med to low light and slowly raise to the location that you want to place your coral in."
MickeyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 10:52am
Thanks Anne. I read that too. I did a 3-4 minute dip in Coral RX so it wasn't the normal dip time...it was fast. Still smoked the Hawkins.
29G Biocubeonsteroids
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 10:58am
Darn. I would suggest putting it in low light and low flow. Sometimes bleached corals can come back even if they look too far gone. I bleached my green slimer to the point that it was sheer white and its mostly green again; granted that was a different situation and was due to lighting rather than a dip.

Anyways, best of luck to you, and I've still got some on grow-out here if you need it in the future.
MickeyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 11:04am
Thanks Anne. After years of growing sps I agree you never know when something will completely recover. I have it placed in a low flow and low light area isolated from other corals and crossing my fingers that I can get it to recover. Otherwise, ill cya soon on the frag and give it another shot. I love this coral it's one of my favorites I just have zero experience in keeping a Hawkins.
29G Biocubeonsteroids
spike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 12:41pm
Mike

I've absolutely had this experience. Pick someone with a good clean system that you can trust and DO NOT dip it. I made the same mistake the first time. My second frag (now a small colony) is doing great! Good luck!
MickeyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 1:23pm
Thanks for the info Cole! If anyone knows its you for sure thanks for the heads up and confirmation of what I did wrong. Wish I would have known before I destroyed that beautiful piece. Lesson learned.
29G Biocubeonsteroids
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 6:53pm
Smooth skinned acros are notoriously bad with CoralRx...lots of posts out there on this. Bayer works just fine on them.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 8:00pm
They're super sensitive! I got mine from jeff on the forum. He informed me that even gluing them too soon can cause bleaching.
MickeyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2013 at 11:35pm
Thanks for the additional info Phys. Seeing your amazing colony is what started this obsession in the first place! Any other tips or help with keeping this beautiful coral would be much appreciated.
29G Biocubeonsteroids
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 12:12am
I did a ridiculously long acclamation... I don't know how long yours was... I think I did it for about 2 hours or so.
MickeyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 4:10pm
Picked up a real nice frag from Nick last night. Thanks again Nick! Acclimated, no dip and sitting on my sandbed. So far so good. I'm keeping it there for a week or 2 then slowly move it up to its new home. Crossing my fingers this time ! I love this coral.
29G Biocubeonsteroids
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2013 at 7:14pm
Good luck! Make sure its not too close to any other corals.
yongzheng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yongzheng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 12:14am
I recently purchased an established frag of Hawkins. I brought the frag home. Did a quick Coral RX dip and put it on my sandbed. The next morning is was completely bleached white with a little blue on the tips not the amazing color it was the night before.

Edited by ReefdUp - July 25 2013 at 8:10am
Saul Forest
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 8:11am
Originally posted by yongzheng yongzheng wrote:

I recently purchased an established frag of Hawkins. I brought the frag home. Did a quick Coral RX dip and put it on my sandbed. The next morning is was completely bleached white with a little blue on the tips not the amazing color it was the night before.

You're able to get ORA corals over in China? Thanks for sharing your experience on a Utah forum just to add links to gold (which I've removed.)
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 1:15am
ya Mike its the only frag in my tank I haven't dosed. cause it will usually kill it.
starkkzp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starkkzp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 2:13am
With the WOW Gold upgrade of the future Warlock category in the mists of Pandaria, partners of Guild and friends have been thinking if for re-energizing old magicians or not. Those who do not have the Runescape Gold Warlocks on their display numbers were to ask the age-old question: should I stage now or hold out until the trips of development unless you're particularly masochistic about your update, my advice is to hold out. The idea was to make simpler rather than add another couple of stages on already heavy skills plants. Some capabilities have been prepared in the RS2007 Gold requirements of obligations. Some capabilities were combined: Black Artistry fans all animals of platform which are used in the endgame material .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic