Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PAR Meter Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PAR Meter Thread
    Posted: May 11 2005 at 7:41pm

Well .. I got my PAR meter today. I have not gotten a chance to play much yet, but I wanted to start a thread about it for the people who are interested in it and/or having me stop by to measure their bulbs.

If you do want me to come over and measure your bulbs I would be more than happy to! I would love if you gave me a 5$ or 10$ donation (or whatever). I will take this $$$ and put it into a pool until there is enough to order another PAR meter to just pass around the club. Don't feel like you HAVE to give anything though. Its my pleasure just to come look at your tanks!!!

I'm still figuring all this out and I have a couple of questions, but here is the info I have gathered so far. I TOOK most of this directly from post on RC.

The meter I have is a Apogee Instruments QMSS-ELEC Quantum meter with sensor. Calibrated for electric lamps.

First, what's a PAR meter

A PAR meter measures light intensity. For example, in the sun the meter read about 1600 PAR, while the 250 watt bulb over the clams measures about 350 right above the water. This meter is calibrated for electric lamps. There is a conversion to use, I think based on bulb Kelvin rating, because the light frequency affects the measurement.

A PAR meter can be used to compare lighting systems, see the impact of an upgrade, etc. It can also be used to detect degradation in your bulbs, based on a change in intensity. Again, if anyone has specific information about that, feel free to post.

The instructions are included, and it is VERY easy to use.

What should I do with it?
Get measurements from anywhere in your tank ... from one spot, or many different spots. The probe is water proof and the sensor is fully submergible. In fact you will get a much better idea of how much light you are providing to your corals by taking in tank measurements. Water clarity plays a huge role in the amount of light reaching your animals, as such you can find large differences from one tank to another even when using the same lighting.

As time goes on, that we can give light requirements of certain corals in terms of PAR rather than high, medium or low light. It really helps other to understand what lighting you have a coral under when you can tell them the coral is under an Ushio bulb receiving 380 PAR.

By the way, the light sensor is attached to the meter with a cord. You can hold the probe over the water, and the meter NOT over the water, so the meter won't get dropped it.

from apogee:

As you can see from the website, the Apogee sensor does have an imperfect spectral response. This is due to the difficulties of getting silicon to absorb the entire range of visible radiation. As a result, we calibrate our sensors to specific light sources to correct for the spectral variation. This works very well for plant researcher's who use a limited number of light types in their greenhouses.

Given the number of lights available in the aquarium industry we can not possible go through and calculate the correction factor for each of the different lamps. However, Joe Burger is also interested in quantifying aquarium lighting, wanted to get correction factors and we have supported his studies. You can find his results and correction factors on the web at http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm.

AGAIN
Great site with bulb and PAR info. http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

My first Q ... Joe Burgers website is very clear, but how does this relate to sanjays bulb data? He (sanjay) doesn't list a straight PAR value.

Ok I know Shane is first on the list for a visit and I will bring it with me to Jeff and Brads on Friday. Anyone else?

Man that was a long post with lots of opprotunity for spelling errors... Yes  I did that one on purpose.

Edited by coreyk
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 8:27pm
I'll gladly donate 10.00 towards the meter! Remind me to give it to you on friday.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 8:28pm
I'll be happy to donate Corey, plus I just changed my bulbs so it will be nice to know what value I have.  See you Friday.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
dnellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 10:30pm
i'd love to have you come over corey!  i'm very interested to see how people with a LOT of power compacts compare to those with 1 metal halide...  a donation is waiting in sugarhouse.
Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 11:28pm
Corey I will donate to your meter also.
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 12:24am
Dave: Great! Sugarhouse is close(ish) to my work. How about next week sometime?

Chris: I'll plan on your place early next week. It would also be cool to hit someone who is running a 150w 14K phoenix, to compare to your hami.  
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 12:34am
Corey, if you get down into Utah County please make time to stop by my place too.  Thanks.
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 12:35am
Corey - just let me know when is best for you - I'd be extremely happy to donate to the cause.
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 12:54am
Jon .. I sure will come by ... prob be a couple of weeks before I'm able to get up your way.

Shane: Cool .. How about end of next week sometime?
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 1:10am

Originally posted by dnellans dnellans wrote:

i'd love to have you come over corey!  i'm very interested to see how people with a LOT of power compacts compare to those with 1 metal halide...  a donation is waiting in sugarhouse.

And I have a LOT of PC's on my 75 gal tank.  I would gladly donate and would definitely like to enourage you to come by mine and Steve Lopez's.

I get home most days at 4pm and am home most weekends now.  Just call ahead or schedule a time!

Home phone: 801-282-2744

Cell phone: 801-554-4641

TIA!

Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 1:24am
When you come down to do Jon's tank stop by my place too.  Just let me know when you are coming down and I will be at the office.

Thanks!
Fax
Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 1:30am
Surething Fax

Got you down Rodney! I'll start a list and get ahold of people a week or so before. To  setup a time.

Edited by coreyk
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 7:44am
Corey,  I live pretty close to Shane Silcox, so when you come by to check his, would you mind stopping by my place?  Thanks
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 8:19am
That sounds good Kevin .. It would be nice to group a few in the same area together people together. I might bring a friend w/ me to see your plywood tank, if thats ok?
Seaul8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 9:50am

I would also appreciate a visit for the reading as well as your opinions on lighting improvements.  I am running pc only and am ready to make improvements.  I am in WVC near Dkle.  Willing to contribute as well!

75 Gallon Display, 75 Sump/Refug, Euroreef ES5-2 Skimmer, Iwaki 70 return pump, DIY Stand/Canopy
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 10:11am
Roger: Great .. Lets see we can coordinate something with Dinhkim in a couple of weeks. If he wants a visit also.

Edited by coreyk
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 11:43am
Corey,

When you get a free evening - please plan on coming up to Brigham City. I'd love to have you measure the PAR of my bulbs and I'm sure Jason (reptoreef) would as well. I'm in for a donation to add a meter to the club!

Great Idea.
Riley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 11:45am
I would also like to have you come out and I would happily donate.   I live in herriman right by Steve Lopez.   I am considering getting a different 400 watt bulb and would like to know what par mine is now.  Just let me know when    Thanks Riley
Riley     Herriman
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 4:14pm
Corey, sure bring a friend and of course I will donate to the cause.  You might end up creating mini reef tours as other people will probably want to tag along with you.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 4:44pm

Corey -

Next week would be just fine - just PM me and let me know what works for you. I'll pay for your gas money. It can't be cheap driving all over salt lake doing us favors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic