Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EDITED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EDITED
    Posted: July 21 2013 at 8:18am
If I could delete this thread I would as it wasn't my intention when I asked the original question for it to wander off the path and become an "I know more than you do" kinda topic.   Thanks to those who directly answered my question; I appreciate that.

Edited by Molli - July 23 2013 at 1:07pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 8:05am
Aloha,

In my suspended reef, the front apron was about 4" and there was 6" under the reef for the fish to swim around.
Curious why bare bottom?
What information did you find that suggests it?
The reason I ask is because this was a method popularized during the 1990's. especially in Europe when skimmers were improving and detritus was seen as a big problem. (Skimmers have improved a lot since then and we have discovered that detritus is coral food.)

I assume there is going to be a good sump/Refugium with a skimmer, right?
Everything gets coralline algae on it, even the bottom glass and acrylic supports so the clear effect diminishes over time.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 8:52am

Ouch

Edited by Molli - July 23 2013 at 1:08pm
fishnfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 1:19pm
I am thinking going bare bottom with a tank Aquatic Dreams has one and I love the look now that it has grown on me. Why does it matter if someone wants to go barebottom? There are tons of people on R2R that have and there tanks thrive.

That would be my only worry would be stacking the rock just make sure if you do it is solid if you do hope to see pics.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 1:28pm
Geek

Edited by Molli - July 23 2013 at 1:09pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 5:23pm
Sounds like you will be setting up a good looking tank, but you have some misinformation about sandbeds, coral and the ocean reefs. I've been farming coral for profit since 1998 and lived near the wild reefs for 2 years. I'm not trying to talk you out of it but you did come here asking questions. Wouldn't you like to have the facts before making a final decision?

Just a note - One of the "pros" about going bare bottom with an acrylic tank is that it doesn't matter when a rock falls. The acrylic won't be harmed and won't crack like a glass tank bottom would when a large rock falls on it.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 22 2013 at 5:30pm
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 6:44pm
Mark, I have never said anything like this on the forums and i hate forum drama. No disrespect, but leave her alone!!! It sounds like she has done her research and wants to setup the tank with a bare bottom. It doesn't matter the reason, if she wants to do it let her do it! not everyone likes the type or look of tanks you keep. We all know you have been in the hobby for a long time but you are not the only person who knows how to setup a reef tank. Sometimes its just okay to keep your opinions to yourself. Again no disrespect, thanks!

Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 7:06pm

Wacko

Edited by Molli - July 23 2013 at 1:10pm
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 7:46pm
I have a question about them IF you don't mind me asking, (your thread not mine).  When you do a BB tank do you still do a refugium with sand or go with just a sump with equipment?

Edited by Lewy - July 22 2013 at 7:47pm
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 7:55pm

Beer

Edited by Molli - July 23 2013 at 1:11pm
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 8:43pm
Thank you.  I may have to try one to see what I like better.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
fishnfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 12:47am
only question I see is
"These half balls come in all different sizes (you glue the flat side to the rock and the ball side sits on the bottom of the tank). Just looking for suggestions about how high up my rock should be from the tank bottom to allow for good flow underneath the rock?"

just sayin

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 8:43am
This forum is open to all to voice their opinions and discover factual information. I have nothing against this method of setting up a tank.  I have seen some nice bare bottom tanks, but I have a problem with decisions that are made based on incorrect information.

Should misinformation be allowed to stand as fact? Should honest opinions, questions and discussion be censured? If this were allowed to happen, then this forum would become something it's founders never intended and it would become a useless forum.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 8:59am
Back on topic -

If you are having Ceramco make you custom Vida Rock  pieces, perhaps you could have them design pieces with 'legs' to avoid having to use those acrylic half - balls at all?

I'm sure they could come up with pieces that would look nice and still be functional at the same time.

As far as the original question of 'how high off the bottom?"... I would say 2 - 4 inches should be plenty of clearance to allow sufficent water movement underneath the rock structure.

And fish to swim under, etc

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

This forum is open to all to voice their opinions and discover factual information. I have nothing against this method of setting up a tank.  I have seen some nice bare bottom tanks, but I have a problem with decisions that are made based on incorrect information.

Should misinformation be allowed to stand as fact? Should honest opinions, questions and discussion be censured? If this were allowed to happen, then this forum would become something it's founders never intended and it would become a useless forum.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Mark, old friend...

My suggestion is that, when you are expressing your opinion, remember to use phrases like "I think that..." or "I feel that..." or "perhaps you could try this..." or even "In my experience I have found that..." in your comments.

If you look at your prior posts here (and most elsewhere on this Forum) you will notice those kinds of clarifying statements of 'opinion' are missing from your posts.

Without them, your statements may come off as a just little 'authoritarian' and maybe even condescending... as in "Hear, ye! Hear, ye! THIS is the way it MUST be done - Why? Because I said so; and I am all - knowing and always right..."

I know that is not your intent. But sometimes your well - meaning and helpful content is getting obscured by a perceived subtle 'tone' or attitude in the presentation of your comments...

Thumbs Up

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 11:22am
Well put Bob, my thoughts exactly. I apologize if my post came off as rude, not my intention. Molli, I apologize for getting your thread off topic. Back to the bare bottom talk!

Edited by ch3tt - July 23 2013 at 11:24am
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 12:57pm
Okay thanks Bob, let me try that.

I know that I often come off as abrupt and sometimes condescending. Please consider my apology. It is a behavior that I have worked on for years to try and change, though it is perhaps the most difficult thing I have ever encountered. I am really just trying to help hobbyists have a good experience with their aquariums and avoid the problems other hobbyists have already experienced.

My opinion is based on perhaps outdated experience and knowledge. I have not seen a bare bottom tank for many years.
If I recall, those who tried bare bottom tanks eventually abandoned the method because they found the tank was more stable with an aragonite sand bed. Because the reef aquarium hobby has such high turnover of hobbyists, new hobbyists often attempt to use previously tried methods. This is an observation from my viewpoint and memory. Take it for what it's worth. Bare bottom tanks seemed to be more difficult for the following reasons:

1. It seems that their owners were always having to clean up detritus (My understanding of detritus is that each clump is billions of good bacteria breaking down waste particles. In moderate amounts it actually seems to be a good thing);

2. I noticed that dosing and water changes appeared to be more critical because there was no sand bed to help buffer Alk and Ca (I visited a hobbyist yesterday that does not need to dose Alk or Ca and has not done a water change in months, yet the tank is doing marvelous. Monthly maintenance mostly involves harvesting the rapid growth of a beautiful red algae. This year old tank has a 6" DSB);

3. With a bare bottom tank, when dosing fails, because there is no natural buffering, the tank seems to struggle and may easily crash.

4. I have seen that nuisance algae tends to be harder to deal with because snails and hermits have a tougher time getting back up on the rock after they fall (Vida rock legs could ease this difficulty, but "it's my opinion" (based on fact) that because Vida rock is mostly ceramic, it unfortunately has very little buffering capacity);

5. The biofiltration capacity seems to me to be significantly diminished because of the lack of beneficial bacteria, worms and bugs that would normally populate LS (and feed the reef).

6. I believe that because of reduced biofiltration, the hobbyist with a bare bottom tank may find themselves restricted to a minimal bioload and/or may have to lean more heavily on skimmers and other electrical equipment to keep the tank going.

7. During a power outage a bare bottom tank that is dependent on electrical equipment for its filtration is more prone to suffer. (I'm sorry, but in good conscience I could not say it any other way)

I have seen hundreds of ways that different reef tank set ups do well, when the hobbyists devote the extra time and resources to account for limitations.

And finally, in my experience I have learned that it is not that difficult to avoid acrylic tank scratches and further, I would be happy to explain how scratches can be sanded out during normal maintenance while the tank is running.

Just offering my 2 cents in hopes that it will help.
Aloha,
Mark Hug
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 2:35pm
I used to have the same opinions of Mark before I met him.  I met him on the Reef Tour this year and found he was very polite, informative and eager to listen to me talk on and on about my tank.  I don't think he gave me any advice and we just sat and had a nice discussion for awhile about our tanks.

I've noticed on this forum that when Mark has a opinion everyone is quick to jump on the bashing board.... others will give ( force ) their opinion on people looking for help and nothing is ever said to them.

Molli,

Sorry for the off topic post.  Back to the topic.  I love bare bottom tanks and the one at Aquatic Dreams is awesome ( it's been awhile since I've seen it.  Can only imagine it now! ).  I agree with what Bob said and having them make the " legs " on the Vida Rock.  I can't wait to see pictures in the build thread of this thing!  Good luck!
Try, try, try, then give up!
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 4:44pm
I want to come see this tank when it is set up! and come play with your dogs :) lol.

I never did see any pics of the 65 you got from me so it would be cool to see what you've done with that as well :)

Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 6:21pm
I recently set up a new 120 bare bottom after visiting world wide corals in florida =) check this tank out.... I think I just love the encrusting on the bottom of the tank of chalice favias and montis

Edited by Nick801 - July 23 2013 at 6:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic