Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LF Phosphate Reactor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LF Phosphate Reactor
    Posted: July 23 2013 at 5:29pm

Anyone have a suggestion as to brand.  I've been reading some reviews on the Two Little Fishes brand and it seems there are a lot of complaints about a rubber part stretching and/or tearing?

There is a possibility that the dry marco rock I used for my 65 gal is leaching phosphates .. so I'm having fun with that!  haha

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 5:35pm
I have the Two Little Fishies, BRS dual, single, as well as the NextReef MR1. Each has their pros and cons.

The TLF one is cheap, but it gets salt creep down it (bad seals). I had two previously...both cracked after not much use. I was able to repair them, but...well...you get what you pay for.

The BRS single is pretty nice for the price. I like that there's a chamber within a chamber...but that adds more work when changing the media. The same goes with the dual, except that it's hard to get the flow right for the dual if you use carbon and GFO.

The NextReef is really nice, except the price and I don't like how the seal is on the top lid.

And...just in case you're interested, I'm selling the NextReef. It doesn't fit under my 150g, so I had to switch it out for the BRS dual.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 6:05pm
Thanks for the info!  I'll look these up and figure out which one would probably work best for me.  I'm looking for one I can at least hang on the inside of my sump as I'm very risk averse when it comes to running water thru flimsy tubing outside of a concealed environment such as a sump!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 6:32pm
No kidding...I've had some leaks... to say the least.

The TLF and NextReef both have hanging brackets and could go inside a tank.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 4:29am
I had a BRS dual and loved the quality but as was stated hard to conrtol the flow with 2 different medias. I use the BRS single now and it sits outside of my sump and if i need GFO I mix it with my carbon and it doesnt tumble and works better mixed in with carbon in my opinion . Just my O2
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 11:37am
I have a BRS dual but I have redone the lines so that it runs like two singles instead of being in series like it comes. They are still fed from a single pump that then tee's and each reactor has it's own control valve. There is another Tee for the output sides to join back together before returning to the tank. You could skip that step as it will be in the sump. For hanging the BRS units I just use the 3M command hooks. They stick on easily, they are plastic so the water won't bother them, and if i want to move the reactor there is no sign of where they were. I have another shut off valve before the Tee so that I can shut all flow off to replace media without messing up my adjustment. It takes a little time to get it adjusted the first time (because changing the flow through one slightly effects the other) but once you get it dialed in it's plug and play after that.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

I have a BRS dual but I have redone the lines so that it runs like two singles instead of being in series like it comes. They are still fed from a single pump that then tee's and each reactor has it's own control valve. There is another Tee for the output sides to join back together before returning to the tank.

I may have to add this to my tank to-do list...
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I may have to add this to my tank to-do list...

You won't regret it. :)
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 10:34pm
I really like my Elite Aquatics 22" bio pellet reactor.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic