Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A## hole damsel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AWOL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A## hole damsel
    Posted: July 28 2013 at 3:41pm
Any suggestions on how to catch/kill a damsel out of my reef short of taking down the tank?!?!? Help!!!'
Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 3:45pm
Depends on how big it is. If it's still small, this has worked for me...

Take a clean 2-liter soda bottle, and cut the top half off. Invert it into the lower half. Place it into the aquarium. Squirt some food into the aquarium, and get the damsel's attention. When it's interested, squirt some directly into the bottle opening. After a few tries, the damsel should go through the opening to get the food. Then...it can't figure out how to get back out. If it doesn't work the first few times, try leaving it in the tank for a few days so the fish get used to it.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
jason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 3:46pm
there was a trap for sale on here they work
if wishes were fishes we would all have some
AWOL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 3:55pm
he is good size, i tried the bottle trick and he didn't even seem interested in it at all... all the other fish were all over it but I think he knows I hate him!Angry has anyone had any luck with the surprise light tactic? 
Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 4:01pm
Find out where it sleeps at night. Then get up before any light hits the tank. Have net ready and do the surprise light on thing. That's what I did to catch a jerk fish. Maybe I got lucky but it worked for me.
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 4:29pm
wait for it to come out to feed (having the food in the front of the tank) and if it does go to the same portion of the tank all the time, insert a net behind it... then use another net to corral it into the other...
suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 4:36pm
I have the fish trap for sale if you want it.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 10:32am
Those are all good solutions. Thumbs Up
I've used all of those methods with success. I particularly like the lights out method and even added more detail about catching fish to the Reefkeeping tips linked below in my signature line. Check it out.

Here is one more useful fishing trick.
Buy a #22 fish hook and 2 lb test line. Bait with a tiny piece of raw shrimp or earthworm. As other fish take the bait, place them in a bucket of tank water and keep fishing. Smile Good luck.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 10:33am
Shoot them with LASERS.... sorry couldn't resist! 
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 11:27am
Explosives. That'll kill it (;
150G mixed reef, growing coral farm.
Thirteenth year keeping reefs, always here to talk fish.
801-850-7577.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 12:31pm
Speaking of explosives.. I have water proof M-1000's if needed..... just sayin... 

55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by justchillinuno justchillinuno wrote:

Speaking of explosives.. I have water proof M-1000's if needed..... just sayin... 

Might have some collateral damage with that one... but if someone were do it im sure we would all love to watch the tank explode.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by 1stupidpunk 1stupidpunk wrote:

Originally posted by justchillinuno justchillinuno wrote:

Might have some collateral damage with that one... but if someone were do it im sure we would all love to watch the tank explode.....

Thumbs Up I agree!
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 5:23pm
One of my fish really got to me one time and if it had continued I had ideas on how to devise a spear gun. Angry
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

One of my fish really got to me one time and if it had continued I had ideas on how to devise a spear gun. Angry

Shop vac works well too but remember when you turn it off the hose is full of water so you have started a siphon.

AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 5:54pm
Bahaha the ways we all come up with to Kill a fish. Sorry for the other post I couldn't help it. Did you get it out yet? I've always found feeding in the corner then sneaking up with a net usually works. Or buy a trap.
150G mixed reef, growing coral farm.
Thirteenth year keeping reefs, always here to talk fish.
801-850-7577.
jason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 6:09pm
a mini bow and arrow work for me jk
if wishes were fishes we would all have some
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2013 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by xlr8r xlr8r wrote:

Find out where it sleeps at night. Then get up before any light hits the tank. Have net ready and do the surprise light on thing. That's what I did to catch a jerk fish. Maybe I got lucky but it worked for me.

This is what I had to do to get a coral beauty caught that I tried catching for over a month using the bottle method and lights out method. I was finally able to see it in a good place to catch one night and snagged it.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic