Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Compatibility Experience

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compatibility Experience
    Posted: August 02 2013 at 10:27am
I currently have a firefish in my tank. I really like the idea of adding a Midas Blenny, but liveaquaria mentions that they have "been known to to nip at firefish and gobies." They go on to say that "larger tanks are more advantageous," but they don't define larger tanks. They recommend at least 30 gallons for the Midas Blenny, and I have a 75 gallon.

What do you think-- is 75 gallons enough space for these two to avoid each other? Anyone have any experience with the combination?
mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 10:36am
I think u will be ok I have a
Purple fire fish
Golden midas blenny
2 phantom clowns
Hawkfish
Flame angel
All living happy and together in a Red Sea max 34 gallon
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 1:39pm
If they're getting along in 34, they should be fine in twice that water volume, right? Thanks for the help!
mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 2:18pm
Definitely . Np
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 2:42pm
Aloha,

It could be just fine OR the Midas could come in and kill the Firefish. Similar size and body shaped fish can be very aggressive towards each other. To be sure that everything works out positively I would prepare and do the following:
First, I would keep the Midas in an acclimation container for 2 days to be sure it gets accustomed to being around the fish before it's set free.
Second, I would feed really well for those two days so the Midas will see that it needn't fight with the Firefish to get its share of food.
Third, I would keep my training stick ready and use it to let the fish know that you are the Alpha, the boss.

To read more, look in the Reefkeeping Tip "Secrets of adding new fish...."

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 8:36pm
I have 2 Midas blennies in a 230 gal, the smaller one (about 3") is well behaved, the larger one (about 5") has chased   Anthias (3 out of 4), and 2 Fire fish untill they disapeared (assumed dead). It also chases the small one.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic