Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New 90

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 6:49pm
Oops! It's there now, Mike
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 7:52pm
Things I like best are how some of the fish just bob up and down with the waves, like the are 'surfing'... reminds me of that turtle from "Finding Nemo":

"Hey bud, just chillin' on some tasteeee waves, Bro!"

And, since I am pretty much out of real estate on the sandbed, I set up the frag rack to house the stuff from the Fragfest.

I got 11 frags (your zoas are up there too, Mike) for 82 dollars after the Paid Members discount... that's an average of less than 8 BUCKS A FRAG for Purple Stylopora, Blue Tipped Acro, Pink Acro, Ora Green Birdsnest, Orange Monti, Purple / Orange Acans, Zoas, and a Candy cane with 7 heads on it...

and they're not little frags as you can see from the video. Can't understand how we don't get 400 people showing up to these frag things... guess they would rather pay 4 or 5 times as much elsewhere.

Edited by BobC63 - September 06 2013 at 7:54pm

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 6:49am
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

I think I learn a little from each [system] I build.
I do think it is definitely the fastest fully - stocked reef I have ever done; empty tank to 75+ corals and 2 dozen fish in under 3 months! All without spikes, disease, deaths (fish or coral),and I didn't have any of the usual new tank issues (diatoms, hair algae, cyano, etc)

I believe that there is a sort of philosophy and 'formula' I have created on how to get this done this fast... might be helpful to the newer folks out there. Maybe I'll do a how - to thread on "Creating a Full - Blown Reef Quickly, Safely, and Effectively...The BobC Way"
I look forward to reading and learning from your upcoming thread. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 7:45am

Oops! It's there now, Mike

Now it says the video is private!Confused

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 6:44pm
Double Oops!

OK now it is ONLINE and PUBLIC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 9:26pm
It is working now! I really like that Vlamingi too!

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 11:42pm
I am thinking...

Do I dare?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LqJSkTM537s

BTW, that is a single wp60 on a 6 foot, 180g tank... I'd say that wave is 6 inches tall!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 9:10am
That is one heck of a wave!

Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 5:43pm

[/QUOTE]

I think I learn a little from each one I build. So, in a way, the 'best'...

I do think it is definitely the fastest fully - stocked reef I have ever done; empty tank to 75+ corals and 2 dozen fish in under 3 months!

All without spikes, disease, deaths (fish or coral),and I didn't have any of the usual new tank issues (diatoms, hair algae, cyano, etc)

I believe that there is a sort of philosophy and 'formula' I have created on how to get this done this fast... might be helpful to the newer folks out there. Many times I see people who want a tank like this and don't want to spend a couple of years getting there. So they try a quick setup without knowing all the tricks and pitfalls... and end up with a dirty looking tank full of hair algae, high nitrates, cyano, heavy fish losses, and the inability to keep any corals alive except for button polyps, mushrooms and Xenia (which then overrun the reef). Finally, out of disgust with the whole thing, they get out of the hobby - and sell off on KSL (how do you think I got this tank?)

Maybe I'll do a how - to thread on "Creating a Full - Blown Reef Quickly, Safely, and Effectively...The BobC Way"
[/QUOTE]

Hey Bob! Are you still thinking about sharing your formula? I haven't rushed the 2 tanks I have started, but would really like to not have to wait a yr before I can put SPS in my new cube after I put it on line. But I also don't want to be responsible for killing SPS corals simply because my tank wasn't ready for them. Would love to hear your ideas

Edited by Molli - September 20 2013 at 5:45pm
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 5:23am
Any updates Bob?
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 3:45pm
man that tank is looking good!! I hope to get mine to that kind of glory someday!! nice work!!
getting fishy??
Upload View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upload Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 8:45pm
In response to everyone asking "How's the tank going, Bob?"
New vid - first one in quite awhile...

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 10:37pm
Noticed a few things, now that I actually watched the video -

- The LEDs really wrack havoc with the video quality; especially the blues. That and the shimmer. The longer distance shots look much more visually appealing than the closeups. Next time I shoot video I am going to experiment with shutting down the blues completely to see if that makes a difference.

- About half the corals that I called 'hammers' are actually frogspawn. So, if you are watching and thinking "that hammer looks like frogspawn', you are correct.

- I called the Jebao wp40 an mp40 more than once... LOL

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 7:03pm
Here is a short video I took today. This time I turned the blue LEDs all the way off; so just the whites @ 40%... looks a lot better IMO:

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 10:46pm
It has been quite a while since I have updated this thread; many things have changed:

- I had to get rid of "Gigantor" the Tuskfish Unhappy although we all knew that day would come... After a year plus of not harming anything, despite his size... one day he decided to devour my 10" ORA Deresa Clam (!) and then he started flipping / burying any coral that was on the sandbed. I lost all my Fungia and most of the chalices before I got him out. He also killed all 4 of my cardinalfish (2 Banggai and 2 Pajama)

- I replaced him with a different 'marquee' fish - a Sohal Tang

- I also traded away the Powder Blue Tang and the Kole Tang to give the Sohal more territory. I did keep the Vlamingi and the Sailfin.

- I have redone the Aquascaping to allow for a larger water volume / less rockwork

- Sold off / traded off several other corals in the process

- Hardware wise, I changed skimmers. Now run a Bubble Magus Curve 7. I also pulled one of the wp40s. The 'alternating pumps' thing was a nice gimmick, but I really didn't see any difference over running just 1 pump

About the video:

- Running the Kessil A350W LEDs with the '25K blue' shut all the way off; '12K white' on @ 30%

- The single wp40 circ pump is on; the return pump is on

- Shot this at about 8PM Sunday night, this way not too much ambient light from outside (there is a large window just to the right of the tank)

- Room lighting is off

- The sound is on, but there is no commentary

Here is a new video - hope you like it. And watch how these fish go for my secret formula "Iron Chef" food Wink

love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 11:09pm
Looks awesome Bob

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 9:46am

Current Fish List (14):

Sohal Tang
Sailfin Tang*
Vlamingi Tang*
Flame Angel*
Coral Beauty Angel*
Yellow Coris Wrasse*
Red Coris Wrasse
Twin Spot Ornate Wrasse
Christmas Wrasse
Marine Betta
Flame Hawk*
Figi Yellow Belly Blue Devil*
Pair of Black Oscellaris Clowns*

* "Original" fish from the initial setup 1 year ago

2 new favorites are the juvi Red Coris and the Twin Spot. Love the coloration on these guys - wish they would come out in the open more often

The Red is about 3+ inches long and really stands out when he is in the open

The Twin Spot is less than 2 inches and really just a baby. As he gets more used to the tank I am hoping to see him more; it is one of my favorite fish!

The Marine Betta is the same way. I got him from Rusty up at Benepets last year (so maybe 9 - 10 months ago. Gorgeous fish, hardly ever see it... in fact, after I put it in the tank it was 5 months before I saw it again - I thought it had died!

Edited by BobC63 - August 11 2014 at 10:03am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 3:40pm
Those are two of the most gorgeous fish!Thumbs Up

jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 3:45pm

Current Fish List (14):

Sohal Tang
Sailfin Tang*
Vlamingi Tang*
Flame Angel*
Coral Beauty Angel*
Yellow Coris Wrasse*
Red Coris Wrasse
Twin Spot Ornate Wrasse
Christmas Wrasse
Marine Betta
Flame Hawk*
Figi Yellow Belly Blue Devil*
Pair of Black Oscellaris Clowns*

* "Original" fish from the initial setup 1 year ago

2 new favorites are the juvi Red Coris and the Twin Spot. Love the coloration on these guys - wish they would come out in the open more often

The Red is about 3+ inches long and really stands out when he is in the open

The Twin Spot is less than 2 inches and really just a baby. As he gets more used to the tank I am hoping to see him more; it is one of my favorite fish!

The Marine Betta is the same way. I got him from Rusty up at Benepets last year (so maybe 9 - 10 months ago. Gorgeous fish, hardly ever see it... in fact, after I put it in the tank it was 5 months before I saw it again - I thought it had died!

Bob - you will see that twin spot a bunch.  He grows fast, I got a tiny one and mine is pretty big.  Master hunter and LOVES to flip over your coral.  My wife hates him but I think he is an interesting fish.  Definitely unique.  Enjoy!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 10:42pm
In my haste, I actually forgot a fish! Embarrassed

Picked up this little guy from Dave Anderson a few weeks back; plopped him in the tank, and forgot all about him:

Swales Swissguard Basslet

Edited by Upload2 - August 11 2014 at 10:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic