Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New 90

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The New 90
    Posted: August 04 2013 at 7:36am
This tank Build Thread will be a little different than my last threads...

Because the tank is already up and running... for about 5 weeks now - so not exactly a 'build' going on here

But it will feature some fairly new tech, and some cool equipment, such as:

Right now, none of this new stuff has been installed...

But here is a 'sneak peak' at what the tank looks like today:

It will be interesting to see how this upgrades affect - and hopefully improve - how this system looks and operates.

So stayed tuned for more of "the New 90"!

Edited by Upload - August 04 2013 at 8:00am
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 8:06am
Beautiful Bob.
That is some nice equipment you have there.  The tank will be rockin with that . Nothing but the best.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 8:34am

Edited by Fatman - November 11 2013 at 8:06am
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 9:24am
What brand skimmer is that
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 9:36am
Full tank shot looks great!!!

I'm interested to see how you like that WP40.

Edited by Trevor40 - August 04 2013 at 9:37am
Call or Text (801)834-3119
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 10:00am
It looks beautiful Bob. What did you do for sand bed?

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 2:16pm
The wp40 will be replacing a Vortech mp40... reason being, while I really like the Vortech, I would need a 2nd one to really get the kind of flow I want - but I don't want to spend close to $500 on another one.

Based on what I have seen and heard on the wp40, 1 will be more than enough. Shawn over at Aquatic Evolution has 1 on his 110g show tank; he has it dialed down to like 60% and it still moves water like crazy. My 90 is the same footprint as the 110 - just not as deep - so I am expecting similar results...

The lighting is going to be the biggest change as it means I'm giving up my beloved halides. I have been running halides over my reefs for the past 20 years. Tried T5s just once; didn't like it. So, switching to LEDs will be a big change for me. The Kessils I also saw on Shawn's tank and I really like the adjustability on them... about the only thing missing on the halides was the ability to change the color or intensity. And I am getting a really super deal on the Kessils through an old friend back at LIRA (LI Reef Assoc, my old Club back East) that I couldn't pass up...less than wholesale, even.

The controller is a RK Lite that I got with the tank. I have been reading up on some mods over on RC which should allow the RK to control the wp40 with more options than the controller that comes with the pump. Also - possibly - may be able to control the LEDs with it as well.

The skimmer is an Avast Marine Works cone that you actually build from a kit. it is a bit larger than the Bubble Magus cone that I had on my 93 - and on here until I sold it. I thought it might be fun to (sort of) build my own skimmer... although, I just saw someone selling an Elite Aquatics Cone on the Forum for $100 If I had seen that first, I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat! $100 for an EA quality cone skimmer is NUTS!!!
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 2:18pm
Sandbed is just a couple of inches of Carribasea aragonite that came with the tank.

Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 2:30pm
Do you plan to sell your MP40? Is that what you used in the Cube and did you feel it was enough flow?
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 3:50pm
Very nice Bob!

DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 4:56pm
Saw this tank a couple weeks ago. Looks great. Love the rock work. Our favorite is your beautiful Halloween Starfish, which is still on our wish list.

Edited by DLindquist - August 04 2013 at 4:57pm
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

Do you plan to sell your MP40? Is that what you used in the Cube and did you feel it was enough flow?

If the wp40 works out as well as I am hoping, then I will be selling the Vortech mp40.

I had the Vortech on my Cube for a few weeks, and yes, a single Vortech is enough flow for the Cube, due to the shorter length of the Cube compared to a standard 4 - foot long 90 gallon tank.

But , on a 4 - foot long tank, one Vortech mp40 is not quite enough for me...

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 9:28pm
Who wants to see some tasty waves???

Vortech mp40 VS. Jebao wp40

"Battle: Tidal Wave!"

http://youtu.be/J-HwURH0f5Y

Edited by Upload - August 04 2013 at 10:37pm
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 9:45pm
The wp40 will out do the mp40 on wave effect hands down but the mp40 has a better flow pattern and better control
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Upload View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upload Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 10:53pm
I think the flow pattern on the Vortech is wider, for sure... but I am seeing a better 'undertow' on the Jebao (at least when both are in 'wave' mode)...

Kody, how old is your wp40? Does it have the 3 speed control (s1 / s2 / s3)? I know they upgraded the wp40 controller only just recently...

kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2013 at 11:57pm
Just the older version I'll be running them on a reef angel and won't be using the control if I ever get that far.
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 7:19am

Edited by Fatman - November 11 2013 at 8:05am
Upload View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upload Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 8:38pm
Here another video taken today

I had just fed the tank so a couple of the corals were closed from the fish going nuts all around them...

Really like the wp40 so far; the water surface is constantly agitated so no more dead zones or 'slicks' at the top of the water... fish seem to love all the flow, too

Upload View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upload Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 8:45pm
Here's the current fish list:

Yellow Tang
Kole Tang
Vlamingi Tang
Flame Angel
Coral Beauty Angel
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Six Line Wrasse
Pair of Black Oscellaris Clowns
Pair of Banggai Cardinalfish
Pair of Figi Yellow Belly Blue Devils
Lawnmower Blenny

kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 8:58pm
Looking great! How are you liking the LEDs?
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic