Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Garlic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rmw2g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmw2g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garlic
    Posted: August 07 2013 at 10:09pm
Oh ya, another question. Am I a sucker if I buy garlic extract for $15.00 instead of mincing up some fresh garlic at home for less than $.01?
Less Technology. More Biology.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 11:28pm

Edited by Fatman - November 11 2013 at 8:04am
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 11:29pm
Ever see garlic growing in any coral beds in the ocean?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 7:01am
Originally posted by rmw2g rmw2g wrote:

Oh ya, another question. Am I a sucker if I buy garlic extract for $15.00 instead of mincing up some fresh garlic at home for less than $.01?
Nope. See my explanation in your other thread here: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65935&PID=532825&title=sailfin-tang-wont-eat#532825

Man and beast have something in common. Many of the things we eat or apply to our bodies to promote health come from far away soils/waters and to be effective must be dealt with in an unnatural way.

I have been discussing the topic of Garlic ever since it was first brought to our attention about 8 years ago. During the fish food meeting Shane posed for our consideration the idea that garlic exposed to air loses its potency. Shane is not among the many hobbyists that have had good results with garlic so I saw his comment as simply trying to invite discussion. For me it was a moot point. The garlic ingredient of my favorite Ich suppressant gel capsules is probably exposed to plenty of air during manufacturing.

That's my opinion, along with the WMAS Reefkeeping Tip discussion thread about garlic. I should add that the most commonly overlooked principles associated with supplements and drugs is that variances between individuals as well as dosage can make what works for one, totally ineffective for another.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 08 2013 at 7:02am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 7:08am

Edited by Fatman - November 11 2013 at 8:02am
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 7:42am
[QUOTE=Molli]Ever see garlic growing in any coral beds in the ocean?[/QUOTE

Nope... but have you ever seen brine shrimp in the ocean?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 7:58am
I noticed in the other thread that Ryan said the Sailfin Tang was being cleaned by the Cleaner Shrimp. That's a sign of possible parasites. The fact that the fish is not eating makes the use of garlic almost moot. Some hobbyists have reported limited success by simply dropping some crushed garlic or drops of garlic oil into the tank water.

Okay, I'll try to boil it down:
$5 bottle of Garlic gel capsules from grocery/health food store (stinky garlic, NOT orderless)
1-2 drops/cube of frozen meaty food (pierce the capsule with a pin)
allow to thaw and stir together, without added water
allow to marinate 2-5 minutes
feed slowly in small clumps so fish will ingest the oil before it rises to the water surface
1x/day for all fish for the first 5 days for any new fish
1-2x/month thereafter
if a new Ich infestation on a fish is not gone in 1-2 days, try another garlic product
lastly, this is really number 1: create in-tank food sources and hiding places that improve the environment and minimize stress for all fish

Mahalo,
Mark Hug

Word of the Day: Moot

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 08 2013 at 8:05am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 8:46am
Cleaner shrimp do not eat most fish parasites....there are plenty of studies out there regarding this. They remove dead skin cells and mucus.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 1:08am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Cleaner shrimp do not eat most fish parasites....there are plenty of studies out there regarding this. They remove dead skin cells and mucus.

Can you please post links!
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic