Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What has it in for my Hippo Tang?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What has it in for my Hippo Tang?
    Posted: August 09 2013 at 3:14pm
I have a small hippo tang.  A few months ago he looked a little beat up and most of the yellow on his tail was gone.  It didn't bother him and he went on with life.  I just noticed that today it looks like he went for a ride in a powerhead.  His is completely beat up, but acting completely fine.  What could could it be:

Fish
Big Yellow Tang (friendly, never bothers anyone that I have ever seen)
Two clowns that live on the other side of the tank and generally do not interact with other fish.
Blue damsel ( I have seen the tang hang out with this guy and I wonder if he is the attacker since they are the same color?)  They are about the same size.

I also have a purple and orange lobster, but he lives behind the rocks where no one visits
And a coral banded shrimp.

135g...D.E.A.D

Welcome bright and shiny 120!
seamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 3:48pm
my reef lobster ate my yellow watchman goby. so that might be your answer
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 4:10pm
+1

And tangs tend to sleep in and around the rockwork and might be 'easy pickings' to get poked out while they are asleep

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 4:21pm
Seamonkey is more than likely right. I have a 7" sailfin tang that wedges himself in between two rocks at night to hide. I had the same problem, it turns out that's where my emerald crab was and hurt it several times. They can be mean. Then again I also had a 1" clown trigger almost kill a fish five times his size hahaha.
150G mixed reef, growing coral farm.
Thirteenth year keeping reefs, always here to talk fish.
801-850-7577.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic