Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GSP attachment Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GSP attachment Question
    Posted: August 09 2013 at 8:21pm
I recently got a large (7" X 7") mat of green star polyps from Candymom.

I would like to figure out a way to mount it - vertically - to my overflow

I don't think Crazy Glue will work, because I don't think it will stick to the plastic overflow.

Any suggestions?

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 9:01pm
Would frag magnets work?
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 11:00pm
Glue worked for me... 
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

Would frag magnets work?

I don't think I could get the inner magnet far enough down inside the overflow

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Nails12 Nails12 wrote:

Glue worked for me... 

Crazy glue or some other kind?

phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 12:53am
Frag glue... It works great
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 1:30am
I just put mine on a rock and put the Rick next to my overflow. It then grew and attached itself and is spreading from there.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 11:18am
Superglue works great on glass or plastic. I've done it several times. Rip that mat into smaller pieces to be glued all over so they can grow together on the overflow. Squeeze small globs of glue around the edges, then down in to the water and squeeze against the surface for a few seconds and "voila". It helps to have water circulation off so the GSP doesn't peel off before the glue sets.

Using small frags glued all over will allow the entire overflow to be covered in GSP much faster than gluing the single large sheet. LeRoy Headlee (www.garf.org) taught us this many years ago. It's all about the growing edges. A 7"x7" mat has 28" of growing edge. Ripped into 1" pieces creates 49 pieces with 4" of growing area per piece. That's 49x4" = 196" of growing edge. Shocked

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Using small frags glued all over will allow the entire overflow to be covered in GSP much faster than gluing the single large sheet. LeRoy Headlee (www.garf.org) taught us this many years ago. It's all about the growing edges. A 7"x7" mat has 28" of growing edge. Ripped into 1" pieces creates 49 pieces with 4" of growing area per piece. That's 49x4" = 196" of growing edge. Shocked

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Nice
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 1:26pm
I mounted to rock with rubber bands for a week, then cut rubber bands off, then leaned rock against overflow...in time the dang stuff covered entire overflow and grew over overflow teeth and required weekly cutting, was a real pain in the butt and when cutting it out of overflow teeth small bits would get sucked down through overflow, sump, back into display and then patches would show up in random spots so be sure you REALLY like that coral. I have it in my new tank but its on a small rock on the sandbed.
65g Reef
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 11:40pm
Gotta give the props to Mark on this one...

I cut it up into about a dozen pieces (maybe 2" each) and it was SO much easier to work with - and I can already see multiple small areas of growth on some of the pieces

I'll have to get a pic up. Thanks Mark!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic