Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hey! I'm new!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
djknauss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djknauss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey! I'm new!
    Posted: August 22 2013 at 10:44pm
Hi all! This site is awesome! (much better than ksl)...I bought a 1yo FOWLR tank about 3 months ago, and since I have sold all of the fish! lol (I have 2 clowns in Q right now) here is my 55 gal complete w/ sump, etc. (i got for $50, what a deal, huh?) The lack of depth and overabundance of LR is killing me...maybe an upgrade in the hear future??? :) Right now it mostly looks like a tank full of rocks, but i have an rbta, and a few corals now, and a baby rasta polyp growing out quickly :) lets see...i grabbed some caulerpa from the fuge and put it into the display, i think that it will look cool it if takes (and add plant mass to help lower water impurities)...in progress to say the least. everything looks good so far, i dose w/ reefbuilder (Ca,Mg,Sr) as per instructions...i also have a banded coral shrimp who tries to intimidate me when i get close to the tank lol. i try not to get overwhelmed by the lack of beauty and just enjoy what it does have :) i can't wait to put those clowns in there, 1 more month to go (you like the custom canopy? lol built from scraps laying around - anything to hide my retrofit lights :) ) i have been guessing on the lighting requirements, but 2x150w mh plus 4x56w T5HO's should be enough, right? don't ask how i crammed that all above a 55, its tight

where did the bubble tips go??

55 gallons of impulsive additions and subtractions.
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2013 at 3:22am
Welcome! Can't wait to see what you do with your system!! Love the canopy looks like it belongs in the wall!! I find watching nature grow is one of the best parts of this hobby you just never know what you might find next! Good luck keep excited to see how it turns out!
Creating my own ocean
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2013 at 7:08am
Welcome!

Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2013 at 9:57am
welcome!
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2013 at 8:36am

The Reefkeeping Tips linked below, shares info from this forum on setup, maintenance and how to avoid and handle common problems.
One note: I believe that's an awful lot of light for a mere 55 gal. the 4 T5's is plenty to grow all kinds of coral, IME.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2013 at 11:41am
Originally posted by djknauss djknauss wrote:

i have been guessing on the lighting requirements, but 2x150w mh plus 4x56w T5HO's should be enough, right?

Welcome! I ran nearly the same thing over my 40g when I had it, and I was able to keep all different types of coral, anemones, etc. I ran 2x150W MH + 2x130W PC. My colors were amazing...I think you'll be quite happy.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
djknauss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djknauss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2013 at 5:17pm
thanks for the info, im glad to hear the lighting is on the high side, but not too high. I am hoping to upgrade to a 90 gal sometime which will most likely put me right on target? anyways the lights are 8-12" above the water, interesting to note when i raised them up, algae growth stopped, but the plants on the bottom are still doing great. im still curious as to why my rbta is all stringy and not "bubble tipped", i thought that was due to low lighting...
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2013 at 6:56pm
Welcome aboard!!!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2013 at 8:49pm
Welcome! Sorry I didn't reply sooner I've been way busy. you have plenty of light don't worry you can keep quite a bit with that much light. As I say to everyone I introduce myself to I'm always here to help no matter what it is or if you just want to talk salt my number is attached to this message. Welcome to the money pit hahaha. I'm excited to see how your system turns out it's looking good
150G mixed reef, growing coral farm.
Thirteenth year keeping reefs, always here to talk fish.
801-850-7577.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 8:40pm
BTA's often do not exhibit bubble tips. Also, a new tank, or newly moved tank is going to take time to stabilize. Things will change and improve with time.
The "plants" on the bottom, are you speaking of Caulerpa Algae?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
djknauss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djknauss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 8:45pm
yeah caulerpa, lol that was the biggest thing from the fuge i have. that and a mangrove thats dying...
thanks for the tip on the rbta.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic