Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frogspawn ID help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frogspawn ID help.
    Posted: August 26 2013 at 5:48pm
Just got this frog spawn or maybe it is hammer.   Not for sure on what it is called.   Appreciate any help.   Thanks.

Edited by ElwoodUT - August 26 2013 at 5:49pm
I have not failed....I have just found 1000 ways that don't work.

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 7:10pm
Euphyllia divisia, what we usually call Frogspawn has round tips and short branches on many of the tentacles. Euphyllia paraanchora, what we usually call branching Hammer Coral has oblong or "hammer" shaped tips. Another member of the family is Euphyllia anchora which is usually called Wall Hammer, it does not have individual branches or heads but is more like a wall with the tips resembling a hammer. I hope this helps.

Mike

Edited by Mike Savage - August 26 2013 at 7:10pm

ElwoodUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElwoodUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 7:46pm
Ok that helps.   Thank you Mike.

So this would be a "green stem hammer"?
I have not failed....I have just found 1000 ways that don't work.

210 Gallon Dual Overflow
Life Reef LF1-200S Sump
40 Gal Refugium
djknauss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djknauss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 7:53pm
frogspawn can be identified from the hammer, as the frogspawn has bright purple tips and bright green stems (esp. viewed under actinics), none of the hammers have this exact coloration scheme.
55 gallons of impulsive additions and subtractions.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by ElwoodUT ElwoodUT wrote:

Ok that helps.   Thank you Mike.

So this would be a "green stem hammer"?

Yes, it look like a branching Hammer coral from the photo.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by djknauss djknauss wrote:

frogspawn can be identified from the hammer, as the frogspawn has bright purple tips and bright green stems (esp. viewed under actinics), none of the hammers have this exact coloration scheme.

I have seen many different color variations of both Frogspawn and Hammer corals. I do not believe they can be identified by color.

djknauss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djknauss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 8:22pm
you say hammer due to the lack of sub-branching?
55 gallons of impulsive additions and subtractions.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by djknauss djknauss wrote:

you say hammer due to the lack of sub-branching?
Yes and the shape of the tips. I have seen Hammer corals with a few sub branches (maybe hybrids) but it is not prevalent like on Frogspawn.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic