Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding a Yellow Tang?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding a Yellow Tang?
    Posted: August 28 2013 at 12:36pm
I have a yellow tang.  It is upstanding citizen in my tank and I would love to add another.  Is this even a possibility?

135g...D.E.A.D

Welcome bright and shiny 120!
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 1:32pm
I have 2 in my 210 that spend most of the beating each other up. No damage to either one but kinda funny to watch.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 2:01pm
We had 5 in ours at one time they seem to like each other for the most part. Lost 2 due to ich but the remaining three are still buds
Creating my own ocean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 2:05pm
Were they added all at the same time?
135g...D.E.A.D

Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 2:11pm
what size tank?
220 G SPS Display.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 2:12pm
The tank is 120 and I only have four fish in it: Yellow Tang, pair of clowns, and a blue damsel.  30 gallons per fish is a little generous and I want to add more.
135g...D.E.A.D

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 2:17pm
With Tangs, you would be better adding one of the 'different looking' species like a Hippo Tang, Powder Blue, Naso, etc... 2 Zebrasoma spp tangs (like the Yellow, Scopas, Sailfin, etc) will probably harass each other.

With most fish, there are 2 things to look at to determine if they will get along:

- Do they look alike (similar shape and size, coloration possibly)

- Do they eat from the same place in the 'food chain' (this is why 6 - line wrasse will attack mandarins sometimes; they don't look anything alike, but they compete for the same food resources)

Edited by BobC63 - August 28 2013 at 2:19pm
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 2:30pm
We had one large one then added 4 on the same day all about the same size but smaller then the original. It worked for us but we break all rules and truth be told what works for some may not work for others. Interested to see what you decide
Creating my own ocean
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 3:30pm
You might be okay, but as Bob said, you'd be better off adding a different type of tang. I've found that some of my "best" fish turn into monsters when others are introduced. In other cases they are just fine.

If you do add another tang, consider adding two which will divide the fighting and aggression (if there is any). I would also recommend adding fish that are roughly the same size as the current tang. My powder blue kills ANYTHING that's smaller than him that was not in the tank before him. If/when I add new fish I always have to add fish that are larger than my powder blue and will be able to fight back.

Lastly, if you do decide to add another tang or two, make sure that the new fish are eating very well. Once added to the tank where they will have to compete with another fish for food, it is unlikely that they will begin eating if they weren't doing so in the first place.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 3:56pm
Yes, it can be done.
Both fish should be fed really well before and during acclimation. Make sure your tank can handle the increased feeding by increasing the feeding now. Adding Macroalgae to the display and feeding extra Nori and Romaine will help a lot(remove the uneaten Nori and lettuce by end of day).
This thread should help immensely. http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34014
The Purple Tang in this pic was about the same size as the Yellow (4")when it was introduced into my 75 gal tank in the window. It took two weeks of training by me, lots of chasing and fighting, nipped fins and even a few scalpel cuts but they eventually came together as friends for life.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 4:41pm
I'm with Bob on this one. I would not add another Zebrasoma sp.

sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 9:08pm

I'm with Bob and Mike. They may become friends, but on the flip side one may kill the other just as easily.  Maybe even consider something from the rabbit fish family.

Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic