Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eel tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eel tank
    Posted: September 02 2013 at 1:31am
Had to share my eel tank, they all just look so happy tonight. The eel tank is a custom rimless 200+ tank and houses a Japanese moray, tessellata moray, lionfish, black spot cardinal, couple damsels, couple emerald crabs, purple lobster, hermits and snails.

Creating my own ocean
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2013 at 8:32am
As soon as i saw the words "eel" and "rimless" together i immediately cringed... Hope it works out for ya but you may want to find/build a nice tight fitting lid.
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2013 at 8:57am
The top has grids, the only eel we had problems jumping out is our yellow head but he's in a different tank
Creating my own ocean
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2013 at 9:08am
It looks fascinating.
Rather than "rimless" it actually looks like it is has Euro style bracing, possibly a LeeMar tank by the looks of it.

The amount of rock strewn across the bottom and filling almost halfway up will probably keep the Eels from exploring outside the tank. Smile

I don't understand the reconnected Return lines; halfway submerged white PVC pipe.Question

It looks great. Thumbs Up I assume you know that the eels may eventually eat the rest of their tankmates, including the Lionfish and snails.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2013 at 9:31am
It is a leeMar end over flows, the return lines are submerged into a filter bag to keep the splash down with valves to control flow rate. My old man ran longer lines to create more velocity and oxygenate the water. He is planning on installing Draft pipes.

Oh yes in the last two years I couldn't tell you what we've lost in tankmates haha the last victim was a super large cardinal. We have found the damsels survive because they are fast and hide well. As long as we keep them well fed they tend to leave things alone (that is most the time)
Creating my own ocean
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2013 at 10:05am
Sorry, the "Return" is the plumbing that moves water from the Return Pump back into the display. (water goes through "drain" lines into the sump) It's typical to use black Loc-line leading into the display tank. I was wondering if there was a special reason for the visible white PVC and having it connected back together in the middle?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2013 at 10:35am
Sorry, misunderstood your question and was a little confused. I really thought you where talking about the drains in the sump did the best I could to explain the plumbing based on that. The reason for the pvc is the end over flows are extremely small and not drilled for return so instead of drilling he ran external returns. The tank was mounted in the wall at one (previous owners) and had similar plumbing which you could not see due to being in the wall.
Creating my own ocean
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2013 at 11:36am
The last picture is sick!
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2013 at 3:47pm
very nice I had a zebra moray and loved him...started braking my sticks which I love more.
220 G SPS Display.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic