Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mike's 18" cube

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mike's 18" cube
    Posted: September 07 2013 at 4:58pm
Well after many tanks over the years I decided to start from scratch. I have a nice corner in my home office for a tank so here we go!

Over the years I have had a few different tanks from 120 gallon with sump/refugium, to all-in-one Nano cubes and Red Sea Max, to standard tanks with HOB filters. I've used compact flash, VHO, Metal Halide, and LED lighting and tried many of the other gadgets available. Based on past experience, available space, time, and money this is what I came up with.

Cube shape tank
Sump and large refugium
External overflow
Quiet, high flow return with emergency drain
No powerheads or equipment to detract visually
Quiet system
Auto top off

The tank that Adam and I set up for photographing coral fluorescence went great for nearly 4 years but 10 gallons was too limiting. It was also as large as was practical in 2006/2007 when it was set up. This one will build on that concept.

And so it begins . . .

Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 5:57pm
Looking forward to this build.
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 6:40pm
Me, too!

An 18" cube should be around 24 - 25 gallons then?
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 10:01am
Thanks guys, I appreciate the support!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 10:06am
Well the first step was to find an appropriate stand. I really would have liked another stand made by Dion but it just was not in the budget this time so I started watching KSL and found an old TV stand I though would work for $20. I brought it home, decided it needed a little bit more support and added plywood to the interior. The next step was figuring out what size tank would fit. An 18" cube fit well.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 10:11am
I decided to go with an external overflow and a large pump and no powerheads. I also decided on a large sump/refugium for stability, large area for pods, enough room for a skimmer, and a place for frags. Next it was time to call Eric at Aquarium Creations. I've worked with him quite a bit over the years and knew I wanted him to build the tank and sump.

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 11:13am
I'm sure this will be one of the nicest tanks in the valley.  Can't wait to see it grow and mature.
Once a reefer always a reefer. Right? LOL

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 12:05pm
Thanks Brad!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 1:36pm
Well I got the tank and it is beautiful! It may be hard to tell from the photo but the overflow is on the back of the tank and will fit nicely in the corner behind the tank.

DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 3:21pm
Looks great!
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 6:32pm
Sweet.

To keep the plywood dry and to contain splashes (and heaven forbid overflows) which could weaken the stand, I would tack plastic sheeting completely around the inside bottom sides and top. I would make some ventilation holes too. Just thinking out loud.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 7:32pm
Well the next step was to finish the plumbing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 7:33pm
Thanks Darren and Mark!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2013 at 7:14pm
Water test.

Well I ran the water test, fixed a small leak in the bulkhead and discovered the water level is just too high and the flow seems very low.

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2013 at 9:38pm
Looks great Mike!! What do you think is slowing down the flow? Your plumbing looks awesome too

Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 5:22pm
Getting close
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by ksmart ksmart wrote:

Looks great Mike!! What do you think is slowing down the flow? Your plumbing looks awesome too
Well, when I connected the pipes to a Tee one of them pushed right by the built-in stop so I had a very tiny gap for the water to flow. The red oval shows the small slot water was able to flow through. I measured it at 77gph! I got out the Dremel and cleaned it out.

Here it is all cleaned out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 8:14pm
Eric came by to see the water level and fixed it for me. The flow is great now with the full force of the Eheim 1262, the water level is good 1/2 inch or more down, and they system is quiet and stable!

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 11:52pm
Looking awesome my friend!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 6:41am
How do you like that Eheim? Does it run as silent as they advertise and reviews state? That version is what I'm looking to upgrade to my my 50 cube. Be great to get a local review before I plop down the money on one.
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic