Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yellow Tang Losing Color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dexta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dexta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellow Tang Losing Color
    Posted: September 18 2013 at 3:47pm

My yellow tang has been hiding inside a cave since I moved him to my 90 gallon tank and at night he loses color and has a hard time swimming. I checked on him this morning and he is swimming around with all his color back like nothing happened. What do you think might be causing this? The tank temp has been a little low (71 degrees) so I put another heater in the tank. Thanks for the help. P.S. all the other fish are fine.

Edited by Dexta - September 18 2013 at 3:50pm
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 4:25pm
They will usually lose a little color at night. I think that the extra heater might help a bit though.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 4:55pm
Although I'm not personally familiar with tangs, I do know that it is very common for some fish to lose their color at nite or when they are scared.  My fox face rabbit fish loses his color every nite after the lights go out and he is perfectly normal in the morning.
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 4:58pm
It's totally fine all my tangs do that including my yellow tang
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
Sqidstr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sqidstr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 5:19pm
My tangs have never done this. The only problem I have with color, is when I move them to other tanks. That is only due to stress and goes away in less than 24 hours
801 425 0477
120 Reef
65 Reef
90 Reef
34 Reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 10:22pm
Aloha,

If a fish has continually pale color in the daytime, it is usually because of poor diet and once in a while it may be due to disease.
Tangs are herbivores. Just like cattle, they need to graze on grass [algae] throughout the day. Though a reef aquarium may have nice LR and coral, if it is lacking in algae, a Tang may not do so well. There are many plants and algae that make Tangs happy, fat and colorful:
- Macroalgae growing in the tank and soft algae growing on the LR is an awesome way to answer their need to graze on greens.
- Nori (dried macroalgae/seaweed) is awesome Tang and Rabbitfish food and is easy to buy and store.
- Romaine lettuce is great food for all herbivorous fish
- Other dark green and red leafy lettuces and Broccoli.

Emerald Entree and Spirulina Enriched Brine Shrimp are some of the best frozen foods for herbivorous fish and all fish for that matter.

Last week I bought 10 young Nemos. They were a pale orange color. They were being fed only Golden Pearls. I like Golden Pearls but not as a sole diet. After just a few days of an assortment of meaty foods and greens, including Great Salt Lake Brine Shrimp, their orange color is becoming more vibrant.

Algae contains nutrients that create bright colors. Non herbivorous fish get their algae by eating animals that eat algae.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 30 2013 at 6:58am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
speyside712 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speyside712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 3:31pm
My yellow tang has turned white before when he is stressed.  Usually while I am cleaning the glass and have an arm in the tank.  It takes him about half an hour after i'm done to go back to normal.

Also like a few before me have said, at night they seem to lose their color as well.  I've never been sure if its an illusion due to the lack of light, or if he is actually turning white.

I would make sure your temperature stays around 77ish though, i have a feeling the low temp mixed with being in a new tank was what had him stressed out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic