Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Approaching 50

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Approaching 50
    Posted: September 19 2013 at 9:19pm
Not me.  I've been there for over four years now. LOL

My tank is now approaching 50 fish,. Most are anthias , wrasses and now 8 angels.

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 5:23am
Another milestone! Clap

kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 6:31am
Very nice Brad. I need to come see your tank one of this day its on my to do list
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 8:35am
Simply amazing and beautiful!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 9:07am
That is amazing. With all my tanks over the years I've rarely pushed that number. In fact I'm sure I've never had fifty in one tank. to make a healthy happy home for that sort of variety is quite the pinnacle of the hobby.

Adam
ps my 300 gal is stable with 35-45 fish
pps even my old 1000 gal at work never had fifty fish
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 9:28am
I'm jealous. I'm approaching 2 in my 50 cube.
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 9:52am
Stunning!

bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 12:50pm
That is quite the accomplishment in a Fish only system....but I see wonderfully colored sticks as well...unbelievable!
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 12:54pm
Thanks everyone.  
I know with every new fish that goes in, the tougher it gets to keep them all happy and fed well.
More frequent waterhanges, more food, more salt.  More Money.  Vickie thinks I should be Banned from LFS's and Fish websites. Cry

But the addiction goes on. Embarrassed

335G Reef
TOTM.

&
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by bur01014 bur01014 wrote:

That is quite the accomplishment in a Fish only system....but I see wonderfully colored sticks as well...unbelievable!

Thank you, and to answer your pm. 
I do still have the Maristar light ---3, 250w phoenix,  4 39w T-5's  Blue plus
AND
I just added to the light
2, 72" XHO Reefbrite LED strips for supplimentation that really puts the WOW factor in the picture.

My fixture sits about 10 inches from the waterline.  But it is a Deep tank, 36 inches deep.

335G Reef
TOTM.

&
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 1:23pm
I thought the lighting was different from the video and I was correct!  Those XHOs add very nice pop, but hurt the wallet Wink.  You've got a true hybrid (MH, T5, LED) going on and everything is looking great.  
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 1:34pm
Yep, They are spendy but I think they are worth it.  
I had to save up, and do a couple of side jobs for them.
The side jobs dont hurt as bad when you know what the money is going for.Big smile
335G Reef
TOTM.

&
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 2:04pm
That is an amazing tank, fish look very happy
Creating my own ocean
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 5:33pm
May I ask ... do your anthias or wrasses shoal in your tank? Once my 93 cube is on line I am thinking of limiting it to one type of fish that will shoal. I've done some online research and there are a few articles that claim that anthias and wrasses shoal. So ... I was wondering about your experience with them.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 6:43pm
Molli- I'll jump in as well.  
For many Anthias they will certainly shoal, or probably more appropriately form a harem community.  In general I think you can achieve that in home aquariums with most of them.

For wrasse- it is much more challenging, because it really depends on the species.  I have a harem of 16 wrasse in my tank (blundelli) but that is easy because they are a very social harem forming species.  I also have a couple pairs of wrasse (twin spot coris) and some single individuals (Christmas and gaimard).  They are more solitary species in the wild.  So it really depends on what fish in particular you want.  

For shoaling, I think of tangs and rabbitfish primarily.  I have 5 blue tangs (hepatic) and they never shoal.  They are just 5 tangs going on 5 years that never even notice the other fish is there.

Adam 
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 6:53pm
I agree with Adam. The wrasses are independent but the anthias will hang together.

335G Reef
TOTM.

&
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 8:07pm
Brad,
50 Fish? Ya, in my dreams!
Do you still have your Chevron Tang? Mine won't tolerate any new fish. We've got 11 fish in our 270 and its killing me. As you know, I've tried the acclimation box... no luck.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by tileman tileman wrote:

Thanks everyone.  
I know with every new fish that goes in, the tougher it gets to keep them all happy and fed well.

You hit upon IMO the toughest part of the whole thing; keeping everyone fed well.

SO hard to do with 50 fish - and some of them are absolute hogs, who will eat anything aggressively; while some are more timid and can barely get any food before it is all sucked up by the 'piscine pigs'...

I just lost my Convict Tang last week because it basically slowly starved to death. It was eating, just not aggressively enough to compete with similar - sized Kole, Yellow, Desjardini, and Vlamingi Tangs - all of which soar through the water column with their mouths agape, like a pod of whales coming up on a vein of sea plankton...

I have over 20 fish in my 90 (wonder where I got my inspiration from? ) and I have to be extra vigilant to ensure everyone gets some food. 50 fish? My hat is off to you, Brad...

And I am simply amazed that you have things like a Copperband in there - and that is gets enough to eat.

I also see the Flame and Goldflake you were acclimating when I last paid you a visit; they look as happy and healthy as can be!

Brads tank is what every other tank in the state of Utah wants to be when it grows up... simply incredible!

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by DLindquist DLindquist wrote:

Brad,
50 Fish? Ya, in my dreams!
Do you still have your Chevron Tang? Mine won't tolerate any new fish. We've got 11 fish in our 270 and its killing me. As you know, I've tried the acclimation box... no luck.

Hi Dave, Yes, I do still have the chevron but he has grown and now sports his adult colors. He is very hard to capture with a camera because the camera wont focus in on him because he is so dark now.
BTW. My frag I got from you is one of the fastest growing acros I have ever had. It's huge now.

335G Reef
TOTM.

&
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

Originally posted by tileman tileman wrote:

Thanks everyone.  

You hit upon IMO the toughest part of the whole thing; keeping everyone fed well.

SO hard to do with 50 fish - and some of them are absolute hogs, who will eat anything aggressively; while some are more timid and can barely get any food before it is all sucked up by the 'piscine pigs'...

I just lost my Convict Tang last week because it basically slowly starved to death. It was eating, just not aggressively enough to compete with similar - sized Kole, Yellow, Desjardini, and Vlamingi Tangs - all of which soar through the water column with their mouths agape, like a pod of whales coming up on a vein of sea plankton...

I have over 20 fish in my 90 (wonder where I got my inspiration from? ) and I have to be extra vigilant to ensure everyone gets some food. 50 fish? My hat is off to you, Brad...

And I am simply amazed that you have things like a Copperband in there - and that is gets enough to eat.

I also see the Flame and Goldflake you were acclimating when I last paid you a visit; they look as happy and healthy as can be!

Brads tank is what every other tank in the state of Utah wants to be when it grows up... simply incredible!

You are way too kind Bob.Embarrassed

Lately I find myself buying a 16oz pac of hikari mysis and a 16oz pack of PEmysis every other week.  Plus all the assortment of other frozen entrees out there. Then I go thru the large containers of flake food once a month.
Lucky I have a Big skimmerBig smile. and ozone to keep the water clean. And have gone back to once a week waterchanges.
335G Reef
TOTM.

&
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic