Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

yellow tangs dying-black spots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: yellow tangs dying-black spots
    Posted: September 21 2013 at 9:39am
Hi all, wondering if anyone has had this issue. 90 gallon mixed reef. have lost 2 separate yellow tangs to what looks like ich but its black. All other fish, wrasses, clowns, damsels are unaffcted. The first one died amonth ago. 2 weeks later I got another yellow tang and he got the same thing and died. All parameters are in check. Just wondering what the frick is happening? Thanks in advance
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 10:03am
Mostly likely black turbellarian worms.

Best treatment is just a freshwater dip or two...easy enough. Just watch the fish afterward to make sure it doesn't get a secondary infection.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 10:16am
Was just looking back on my notes...

Tangs are the most susceptible. Other fish can get them, but it's less common (some fish seem immune to them).

The freshwater dip should be about 8 minutes, but I've had 5 minute ones knock them off. I'd use methylene blue with the dip, but that's just me.

Placing the tang back into your system will likely cause a reinfection. If no other fish are showing signs of the worms, then you may just need to keep the tang out of the system for about 6 weeks.

If I were in your shoes, this is what I'd do...

Give the tang an 8-minute freshwater dip in methylene blue. If you need help doing the dip, let me know. It's easier than it sounds, but it's easy to mess up too.

Place the fish back into the system, but dose PraziPro (reef safe, but it will kill worms like feather dusters, etc.) Hopefully the Prazi will knock out any remaining worms in the system. Prazi will kill some of the worms on the tang, but it's not nearly as effective as a freshwater dip. Just make sure to have some water change water ready...sometimes Prazi will cause some issues if you have too much worm dieoff.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 11:03am
Thanks Nikki, tang is dead but i want to get another one soon as they are one of my favorite. So should I dose the prazi before I get a new tang to kill what is left of the worms? Dont have any feather dusters or anything so that is a plus.Thing that sucks is I haven't been able to catch the last 2 that have died without tearing my rock work all to heck? Haven't tried a fish trap or anything. And then they just died before I even knew what happened. Thanks for your help
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 12:09pm
Aw, sorry.

I would dose Prazi, especially if you've never done it before. It'll wipe out any internal parasites too,so you'll probably notice your fish will get fatter.

Because of black turbellarian worms, velvet, and uronema, I always freshwater dip fish for about 5 minutes when I first get them. It's so easy and works so well! I'd do it especially if you don't QT. It won't help with ich, but it's a good start.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 12:29pm
Awesome. Thanks nikki
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 12:33pm
Is the Prazi expensive?
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 2:21pm
I don't know of anyone who carries it locally, but it's like $6 for an ounce (which will treat around 100g.) So, yeah, it's kinda pricey per ounce, but you won't need much. I get the 4-oz bottles since I use it enough.    

http://www.amazon.com/Hikari-Usa-AHK73251-Prazipro-Aquarium/dp/B001D6SKDO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379794454&sr=8-2&keywords=prazipro

Just keep in mind that the PraziPro isn't quite as effective as a freshwater dip. I'd treat now, wait 4-6 weeks to make sure none of your other fish show signs/symptoms, then freshwater dip your new tang. You might consider treating with PraziPro again.

www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic