Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LED questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED questions
    Posted: September 23 2013 at 2:33pm
I've tried to research this question online but can't really find a direct answer. So, i've got a RapidLED kit for my biocube 29g. It's the Dimmable version. I've been messing around with the blue vs white balance and I actually probably prefer more blue most of the time which makes it look like pure actinics. what I'm wondering though is if there's a difference in coral growth if you use more white opposed to blue. Does color in LEDs affect corals at all? Do corals even notice if (hypothetically) you're changing the color temperature all the time throughout the day? 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 2:48pm
Here's my thoughts based off of my research. Blues generally encourage coloration and mild growth. Whites encourage growth with mild color. There are many examples of this in MH research where a 10K bulb gives great growth but not so great color, 14K seams to be a kinda sweet spot for both, and 20K produces colors that can't be beat. The same has held true in my experience with LEDs as well.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 3:22pm
There's actually quite a bit of info available on the internet re LED colors and corals and how the light colors may affect a coral's ability to maintain the zooxanthellae algae that lives in their tissues.  But from what I've seen, much of the research also involves the depth of your tank, how far the different colors penetrate, etc.  For a Biocube 29 I think I'd be more concerned about too much light, than not enough, if you are using LEDs.
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 3:22pm
ok. I knew that about Metal Halides. That's why I was wondering if the same held true for LEDs. Interesting that's been your experience. Have you tested both scenarios and for how long? Just FYI: RapidLED told me that color didn't matter. I just don't know how truly educated that person was. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 3:32pm
I don't know much about leds as we just upgraded our 120 to them. I'm glad you posted this so I can fallow as well. one thing I have noticed though is the difference in our coral. The lps is loving the change but our softies do not. We run the whites a little brighter then the blues mainly because the lights we had before ran more whites then Blues and I don't want to make big of changes risking our corals health. I think, not that I really know, that corals notice and are effected by color temp changes. I can only theorizes on this though but my thinking is this, in the ocean with natural sun light, color temps are changing all day and all night, corals are exposed to all forms of natural sun light at any given time for example direct, cloud coverage, season and so on. Corals thrive in what's naturally given to them. Knowing that I have set the lights to fallow the earth's lunar cycle so the color temps are changing in our tank all day as well as throughout the yr(longer days and shorter nights in summer and vice versa in winter) I have observed that depending on the light cycle time will depend on what my corals look like. Mid day in summer my lps is looking killer but different species of my mushrooms not so much. Sunset or sunrise mid summer different species of mushrooms are looking killer were as my lps not so much. So to answer your question yes I think corals are very much so effected by different color temps just based on what they are exposed to in the ocean then taking that knowledge to my tank. No education or research in my answer so I may be wrong.
Creating my own ocean
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 3:52pm
I have run MH, T5 and LED systems for a total of just over 15 years. MH's the entire time, T5's for 8 years, and LED for just over 3 years now.

The main lights that you need to support healthy corals is White and blue. Now with that said, not all corals appreciate the same colors of white or only one color of blue. So by adding other colors (I believe) that you are just enriching the environment to provide the most support for the most types of life. People have had reef tanks with only Cool White and Royal Blue LEDs on them for years and done well. However, the reefs that really epitomize a beautiful healthy reef generally have more than just those colors. They will have multiple colors of white and multiple colors of blue with a few supplemental colors to help bring out the colors to our eyes (even if the corals see little benefit from them).

Reefdup just did a layout for her tank and posted it on the forum. She is near crazy when it comes to research and understanding every facet of the technology before she puts something together (Nikki that's a compliment from one Engineer to another :) ). She definitely has more than just blue and white and absolutely more than just one color of each.

In the end your lights will grow quite a range of corals as they are, but as we know all to well in this hobby, everything can be improved and made to work better in our particulate configuration.

Edited by Krazie4Acans - September 23 2013 at 3:54pm
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 4:05pm
Coral response to different wavelengths is partly due to the depth of ocean they typically live, but we also know that they can adapt. I have seen pics of clams at 60 feet where it's just blue (see images below).

MH research may overlook the fact that it's the greater intensity of light emitted by MH bulbs of the 10,000 - 14,000 Kelvin variety that makes coral grow fast. On the other hand, for 3 years I used an old 400 Watt 20,000K MH situated about 1.5 feet above the coral in my coral frag tank. The bulb was over 2 years old when I installed it, making it over 5 years old when I sold the system. Everything grew very fast with plenty of color the entire time.

Even though a light appears white to our eyes, the spectrum that it actually emits is just a few narrow wavelength bands. Notice how Nikki/ReefdUp, who has done a ton of research,  is using 6 different LED colors in her DIY LED build here: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66671  Color/spectral output does matter.

What happens as light passes through water? The images below may be a helpful demonstration. I scanned these from a Jacques Cousteau book I checked out from the library many years ago.

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 23 2013 at 4:25pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic