Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newwwwb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RPC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RPC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newwwwb
    Posted: September 24 2013 at 12:11am
So i am getting my first Salt water tank on tuesday and its going to be a 30 or a 40 gallon cube. Just wanted to say whats up and any help would be so greatly appreciated.
thank you so very much
Cole
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 8:20am

Aloha Cole,

See the Reefkeeping Tips link in my signature line below for all kinds of help from local hobbyists. If you want to set up an affordable lightly stocked reef aquarium in just one week, I'm here to show you how. I have awesome Utah sand and Utah rock for you in Murray.

Mahalo,
Mark
808-345-1049

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 24 2013 at 8:21am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 9:09am
Congrats!  Enjoy it Smile
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 9:24am
Welcome to the form! congrats on your tank, l looking forward to see what you do with your new tank
Creating my own ocean
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 3:58pm
Congrats on the new tank and welcome!

Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 12:07am
To start off my tank I used this stuff to cycle.  http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/treat-aquarium-nitrite-ammonia-levels

I was done cycling within 2 weeks and added fish without losing any.  The more research you do up front the better success you will have.  I haven't had very many issues that I have heard of when you start a new tank.  I researched for months and followed advice given on this forum and in books.

I have had my tank for almost 7 months with 11 fish, 1 anemone, 2 clams, 2 coco worms, a bunch of lps and sps corals.  The only casualties i have had were from a weak fish from the fish store and a jumper.  I love it.

Read as much as you can and ask questions, even if they sound dumb. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 12:13pm
It makes sense that bacteria in a bottle could be an effective way to cut the time it takes to build  biofiltration capacity, but bacteria cannot grow without food. That's why I believe in transplanting as much of an existing reef as possible into a new set up because it's already there in the transplanted Algae, LS, LR and LW.

I recently used bottled bacteria to help a crashed system recover. I believe it helped.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 12:29pm
If you do get that bacteria in a bottle that I provided the link to.  Make sure you tell them to include a small bottle of ammonia.  They do that for free.  Also make sure you follow their instructions on the amount to put in.

Mark is right without a food source for the bacteria it will do no good.  That is why the small bottle of ammonia.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic