Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cycling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 1:06pm
What is the source of water you are using for water changes and to top off your tank?  Have you tested it for phosphates?
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 1:11pm
I use ro water from Ryan at aquatic dreams. I haven't recently, I've been kind of discouraged with that tank after it attempted to crash at the beginning of Last month. The last time I checked it was 9/19 and it was at 1.0 but I've done a water change since then. I'll check it later today
Creating my own ocean
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 1:14pm
Once your tank is growing algae you won't get an accurate phosphate reading because the phosphates are feeding the algae.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 1:16pm
Thanks for the great close up pics.
What I definitely see is a tank that has too few Snails. I use Astrea, Cerith and Margarita, in that order. I hesitate to make any other conclusions/suggestions based on the peeks given. May we see a full tank pic to show us the entire environment Question

Perhaps I'm just a lazy reefer, but I try to curb the urge to pull LR out of the water and scrub it, preferring instead to use natural methods of cleaning up algae. Scrubbing can unintentionally remove or damage the amazing tiny invertebrate life that tends to get overlooked but is an important part of biofiltration. Though when rock is moved, that is an excellent time to remove Valonia/bubble algae or other pests. I recommend lots of Snails(1/gal), a few Hermits(1 per 2-4gals), an Emerald crab and a Peppermint Shrimp for every 40 gallons or so.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 1:27pm
Before yesterday

After yesterday, everything has been moved to the new tank except the cuc, a wrasse, peppermint shrimp, and urchin. Which will be moved over when I finish taking this tank down.
Creating my own ocean
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 1:30pm
How do I keep it out of the New tank since I'm sure when I moved everything over I brought it with.
Creating my own ocean
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by tink tink wrote:

How do I keep it out of the New tank since I'm sure when I moved everything over I brought it with.

Yes, you likely did bring some of it into the new tank.  I don't think its possible to avoid all algae.  Just try to have very good circulation, a sufficient cleanup crew and phosphate free water for top offs and water changes.  One thing I have found helpful is to use a small powerhead now and then to blow your rocks clean - you could glue a piece of PVC to the powerhead to use as a handle while you are cleaning your rocks.  Your tank is going to show you where your low circulation areas are as that is likely where you might see algage growing and where you will see a lot of stuff blowing off your rocks if you chose to blow them clean now and then.  I'd also get that skimmer set up ASAP.  Some may recommend that you use some chemicals in a mesh bag in your filtration area.
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 1:51pm
I just added a koralia 425 for the 16gl. I'm still trying to find the perfect spot for it though. The skimmer is in the works but I had already planned on one. Im trying to avoid the Chem bags, I believe that is what caused the start of my crash in the Nano. Everything in my Nano was doing great until I did my first water change and added a chem bag then things went bad and the nano has never been the same. I'm not overly worried about that tank because I'm tearing it down but I don't want the same problems in the New tank. Thank you for your advice.
Creating my own ocean
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 1:52pm
I'd add that it IS impossible to avoid all algae...

There are algal spores in your salt mix

There are algal spores in the air

There are algal spores in live rock that has long since been dried out

That's why you can set up a perfectly 'sterile' tank (dry rock, dry sand, RO/DI water,commercial salt mix, etc) and, with a little light and if you wait long enough...

Algae!
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 1:53pm

I just added a koralia 425 for the 16gl. I'm still trying to find the perfect spot for it though. The skimmer is in the works but I had already planned on one. Im trying to avoid the Chem bags, I believe that is what caused the start of my crash in the Nano. Everything in my Nano was doing great until I did my first water change and added a chem bag then things went bad and the nano has never been the same. I'm not overly worried about that tank because I'm tearing it down but I don't want the same problems in the New tank. Thank you for your advice.

When you say "Chem bags" - what specifically were you running?

tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 1:57pm
Chem-pure elite
Creating my own ocean
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 2:01pm
Some algae is okay just don't want it out of control haha, I had a little in the nano which I left alone nothing abnormal you know the picture in with it in glass (totally normal right?) That's what accumulated in just half the day
Creating my own ocean
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 2:08pm

I just added a koralia 425 for the 16gl. I'm still trying to find the perfect spot for it though.

Unfortunately, you may need to invest in one more circ pump -- its difficult even for a small tank to have one circ pump have enough flow, especially with the kind of rock work you have (which I think looks really cool by the way).  I'd suggest one pump down very very low pointing at an angle upward and the other pump up higher pointing at an angle downward.  But you will just need to play with it.  Fortunately for your size tank the circ pumps aren't too expensive.

Edited by Molli - October 01 2013 at 2:09pm
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 2:24pm
I'm noticing haha still a lot of dead spots at the bottom no matter where I put the head. I think I've moved it 3 or 4 times trying to hit all spots between the returns and the pump it's not happening. Thank you on my rocks I'm glad I have a tiny tank to maintain. I see how much my boyfriend puts out to maintain his 2 bigger tanks and 1 med haha. I tell him all the time I'll put the time (and they are not in the best of shape so there's much time I need) into keeping them tighty of He flips the bill.
Creating my own ocean
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 3:32pm
A single wp25, run W1 mode @ S3 speed.

No more dead spots. And just 1 pump.

PS - No need for the Chemi-Pure (as you have already found out) but you should run some form of carbon filtration at least...

tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

PS - No need for the Chemi-Pure (as you have already found out) but you should run some form of carbon filtration at least...

Haha, hey thanks for the advice... lesson learned for sure
Creating my own ocean
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 3:38pm

A single wp25, run W1 mode @ S3 speed.

No more dead spots. And just 1 pump.

I'm curious as to where you would put the pump with the way she has her aquascape?  I will have open rock work like she has in my cube and really doubt one pump will be able to hit both sides of the rock.  Maybe I'm not thinking about all of the possibilities here.  I have an MP40 in my 65 and I have some dead spots with it because of the way I've aquascaped.  How do ya'll manage with only one pump when your rock isn't pushed up against the back of the tank?
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 3:42pm

Don't be thinking that Chemi-Pure caused your nuisance algae problem ... I really can't see how it could have. 
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

Don't be thinking that Chemi-Pure caused your nuisance algae problem ... I really can't see how it could have. 

I don't think it was the problem for the algae, there are numerous of things that play a roll into the algae. I do believe though that doing a water change fit the first time and then adding chemicals to a tank that has been chemical free for its whole existence (almost a year) was not the way to go for my tank since before then everything was thriving. That tank runs hot, there isn't much cuc, phosphates are probably off, I'm sure the list goes on I just kinda have up on that tank
Creating my own ocean
icenine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icenine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 4:44pm

You know Chemi-Pure is carbon, right? 

The elite is just carbon with a GFO as well. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic