Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cycling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cycling?
    Posted: September 24 2013 at 9:57am
I'm sure this had already been answered a time or two sorry in advance

This is the first tank I've set up on my own from scratch so I've never seen the cycling process happen. I've done much research, read forms on here, and talked to people. So I understand what had to happen, why it happens, and how it happens but I'm confused because I have yet to see much signs of cycling in my tank. It's only been running for a week so maybe it's still to soon? Maybe I'm missing a key element in the process? Walk through on how I set the tank up and what's been done so far. I used 20 lbs of live sand (yep in a bag haha) with its packet, 16 lbs of wet live rock from Ryan at aquatic dreams, 2 or so lbs of live rock from my boyfriend already established reef tank. I filled the back "heater" section with dry live rock rubble. I filed it with 2 gallons of reef water and the remaining pre-mixed salt again from Ryan. The next day I tested the water and the levels where: ph=7.4, ammonia= 0.50, nitrate= 0.50 and nitrate. The same Day I added 2 snails and 2 crabs (after talking to Ryan about cycling without fish). I only run my light for about 2hrs a day. It sat for 2 days then I left for the weekend fully expecting to come back to dead crabs and snails, and maybe some diatoms. But instead I came home to 2 live hermits,2 live snails, and white bugs on my glass. My water tonight test as so: ph=8.2, ammonia=0, nitrite=0, and nitrate=20. What am I missing? Is this normal?
Creating my own ocean
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 11:12am
Sounds to me like you're cycled.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 2:41pm
From what you explained I would say that all is going as expected.
Not much in the way of living matter has gone into the tank to create any pollution so that's why N levels are low. The LR moved from that established tank is handling it so far. The live sand bed is still getting established and is not ready for anything immediate.

Growth of the biofiltration, or in other words, bacteria, bugs and worms, can come as quickly or as slowly as we want, depending on how much goes into the tank to provide decomposing organic matter.
I believe it is only a matter of time before brown diatom algae will become visible. To shorten the duration of that process, add as much Macroalgae as can be found and turn the lights on to a 10-12 hour photoperiod.
Because of traditional information still hanging on the www and because of the constant turnover of hobbyists, the hobby in general still does not seem to grasp the faster way of setting up a tank which I described almost 10 years ago here, http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
and which BobC is currently doing a great job of writing about here: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66673

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 5:03pm
Thank you for the links Mark, I've been following Bobc's thread as well. So far great info and I'm trying not to get to inpatient
I'm not so worried about how long it takes to fully cycle as much as I am to create a healthy, stable environment. Took millions of years to create the ocean as we know it now so if it takes months to do semi the same thing in my tank, then I'll wait months haha. I know I'm crazy it's okay
Creating my own ocean
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 9:05pm
A source of ammonia is needed to build up the bacteria colony.  I cycled my tank by putting in dr tims one and only. http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/treat-aquarium-nitrite-ammonia-levels

I then put in straight ammonia into the tank to feed the bacteria until it was fully cycled.  You will know it's fully cycled if you add some ammonia and within 24 hours ammonia, and nitrites are 0.  It took probably almost 2 months for my nitrates to be at 0.  They hovered around 5 or 10 during that time.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 9:33pm
Tink -

Cycling a tank is so "1990s"

In your case, I'm not 100% sure your tank has cycled in just a week (but it could be). How big is the tank?
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 11:08pm
I don't think it has either I just assumed (probably never a good thing) that I would see some sort of change. Either in water levels, dead critters, diatoms, yucky water haha I don't know what really just something. The tank is is 16gl Innovative Marine, I can't find the exact measurements though.
Creating my own ocean
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 11:11pm
I did forget to mention I put a cube of misis shrimp in there
Creating my own ocean
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 11:51pm
They way you are doing it will work, it will just take longer.  If you are looking to get it cycled fast that one and only can have it done in 2 weeks or less.  Mine took about 2 weeks.  At that point I added 2 fish and no issues.
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 9:34am
Week two and still no, it's this okay?
Creating my own ocean
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 9:38am
Originally posted by tink tink wrote:

Week two and still no, it's this okay?
Your tank is what it is; they all take a little different period of time to cycle.

I read up in the thread that you added a cube of mysis; but you also added a small CUC.  Thus, the mysis was likely consumed by your CUC instead of assisting in your cycling efforts. 

If it were me, I'd start increasing the lighting time and see what happens.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 9:46am
You've got approx 18lbs of live rock in there + live sand, too

IMO you were never going to see much of a cycle 'spike' because you already had all that live stuff - which is a good thing (that's how I start my tanks)

If you had used all dry (dead) rock and sand then you would see that traditional old school cycle

I think you are ready for fish - provided your other parameters (SG, Alk, Ca) are all within range

Since you only have 16g to work with, I would advise adding fish 1 at a time, with a 2 - week adjustment period between additions

Coral, you can add almost as quickly as you want - but don't go crazy with softies (unless you are doing an all - softy tank) because many soft corals add toxins to the water as a form of 'coral warfare' that are detrimental to the more finicky LPS and SPS types...

tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 9:59am
All other water parameters are good, I'll just be moving everything from my nano over except the rock and sand. The nano is a toxic soup bowl right now so if i can get my coral out of there asap I'd love too haha. Thank you for your guys advice I've never set up a new tank so I wasn't sure what to expect. Your advice is greatly appreciated
Creating my own ocean
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 10:02am
I'd take a small (like 1 cup) amount of sand out of your nano and add it to the new tank; the bagged 'live sand' from stores is really not all that 'live'; adding a seed of your own will help move things along..

And I know you said 'toxic soup' but unless your nano parameters are really bad, I'd transfer maybe a half gallon of live water from the nano as well

tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 10:16am
Should I wait to add anything to the new tank for a while after I do that or just do it at the same time? The parameters aren't way bad but they aren't good either I did a water change (only a gallon) in that tank about a week ago and now I'm having a crazy out break of different algaes I'm not so fond of But it is what is and the nano will be shut down soon. Thank you again
Creating my own ocean
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 10:20am
Chances are very high that moving stuff (ie sand, water, corals) from your existing nano to your new tank will result in moving plenty of those unwanted algae spores.  So be prepared to have a little fight on your hands in your new tank.  Eventually you can win the battle; just don't get discouraged.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 11:50am
I'm in agreement with Bob.
I see less problems with moving the coral over now than leaving it in a bad situation. The more life is moved over the less this new tank will be a "new" tank.
Remember, "Coral filter the water." Coral actually creates its own nice environment. Also, the problems Bob mentioned about soft coral are easily avoided by running AC

Could you be more specific about this "...crazy out break of different algaes..."

Every problem is fixable and yet we would not like to hear of you having problems (crazy algae) again with the new tank. It might be good to show us the old tank so we can help you avoid the same thing happening down the road in your new tank.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 8:42am
Here's some pictures, some of the alga I don't mind but others I would rather not have such as these ones:

I don't mind these ones
Creating my own ocean
Upload View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upload Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 10:55am
The good news is that appears to be pretty well established live rock

To get rid if the algaes you don't want, what I would do is take 1 rock at a time, and a tupperware bowl of tank water

Keep the rock submerged in the bowl and use a scrub brush to remove the unwanted stuff. If you have attached corals just be careful not to scrub those areas. You can also use a new toothbrush to do the scrubbing in those tight spots

And I'd probably run down to WalMart and get a brand new little scrub brush to use (so you don't accidently use one that had soap in it). Look in the kitchenware section; you can get one for less than $2

Return the rock to the tank. Gently shake the rock underwater to release any possible air bubbles trapped inside.

Repeat the process for each rock in the tank. That tupperware bowl water is going to get pretty dirty, so throw that water out when you are finished.

To keep the rock looking good, normally I'd recommend an algae grazing fish like a tang or dwarf angel, but your tank is too small for that.

You'll need to up your snail & crab count significantly. I'd do a total of 20 snails and 15 small hermits for your 16g tank. While the CUC can be effective, they really do not eat alot individually. A CUC of 35 creatures won't starve in your tank.

Do all that, then go pick out your first fish Big smile

tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 11:42am
All that rock will end up in an eel tank. When I set up the im 16gl I used new clean live rock. That rock in the pictures have some hitch hikers I didn't want in the 16gl, but I don't really want get ride of either such as large flat worms that eat clams and very large anemones (aptasha or beaded its been called both). Thank you for the advice I'll be cleaning it up before moving it to the eel tank. I did scrub the red algae of the candy canes before moving them into the new tank. There are pictures of the IM 16gl after the move and the old nano before the move in the tank thread
Creating my own ocean
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic