Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does this Sailfin Tang look normal to you?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jpyne4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpyne4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does this Sailfin Tang look normal to you?
    Posted: September 29 2013 at 12:19pm
I recently inherited a LARGE sailfin tang from another tank. It's been in my system for a few days and is eating very well. I don't know much about how adult sailfins are supposed to look, and I'm a little worried that he doesn't look right. I've taken a few photos and uploaded them here, let me know what you think. If there is anyone around the Provo area that has been in the hobby for years, I would love to get together and glean some wisdom... cheers.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 12:40pm
How long has it looked like that
jpyne4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpyne4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 12:56pm
A few days now - maybe 4...

Nitrates - 0
Nitrites - 0
PH - 7.5 - wonder if this could be a problem
Phosphates - 0

Tank is only 3 months old or so.

Other fish are a Bangaii Cardinal and a Christmas Wrasse both have been in the tank for 2 months or more.

Live Sand and LBTR
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 1:46pm
Has he been scratching up against the rocks and/or sand? How is his activity level? Is his breathing rapid/accelerated?
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 1:57pm
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/compldiagnodisease/a/aa041701.htm

look this up for pics and see if this is what you have
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 3:32pm
Aloha,

I don't know, the pics show the Tang covered head to tail with dark blotches like a skin discoloration. That link is for Black Ich, so called because it looks like Marine Ich. These are neither tiny black spots nor tiny white spots.

Tangs change color and can become blotchy when they are stressed and during the night. The recent move is definitely reason for stress.

The pH of 7.5 is very concerning because it is also stressful.
Why is pH that low, isn't there enough gas exchange Question
pH levels follow Alkalinity to some extent. What is the Alkalinity reading Question
Has pH always been around 7.5 in this tank Question

Providing good gas exchange means two important conditions are met:
1. Good exposure to fresh air.
   The most common reason for the deficiency is that the hobbyist leaves the standard glass cover over the tank and/or the home is closed up creating air with lower O2 and higher CO2 than outside.
2. Rapid water movement at the surface.
   The most common reason for this deficiency is inadequate water movement and/or powerheads placed near the water surface pointing down instead placed lower in the tank pointing up. The surface of the ocean is constantly rippling and crashing. Replicating this to some extent in our tanks makes everything do better.

There may be other issues, but I would first address pH and Alkalinity.

As I took another look at the pics (it would be great to see a full tank pic), I see what may be a younger tank and the rocks look pretty clean, maybe around 3 - 6 months old, right?
What is being fed Question
What was being fed by the previous owner Question
Is there any Macroalgae or Nori being fed Question
If there is a Refugium, can the Tang be fed some Macroalgae Question
What other fish are in the tank Question

I know this is a barrage of questions, but these are what come to my mind as I think over what I would ask myself as I tried to solve the mystery.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jpyne4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpyne4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 4:32pm
Ann: Not that I have noticed, swims strong and active, breathing is normal.

Phys: I read the article, and am not sure it matches, I know the images are not very good, but it's more of a blotching, and perhaps what could be described as a "film" over the fish more than spots or dots.

Mark:

- I don't have an ALK test kit, I'll get one tomorrow and post results.
- I've moved my powerheads lower in the tank and faced them upwards, they were previously high and facing parallel to the surface of the water.
- Yes PH has been stable - tank is 3 months old
- The tank is not drilled, so I am using an overflow into the sump.
- No refugium
- Tang is eating a combination of frozen Mysis and Brine shrimp.
- I don't know what the previous owner fed.
- No Macro algea
- Other fish are a bangaii cardinal and a Christmas wrasse
- I'll get a full tank pic posted here shortly, the rock is LBTR that I got from you.

Thank you everyone for your comments and help.
jpyne4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpyne4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 4:46pm
Here are additional photos, and tank shots. I included shots of my Zoa rock to show the condition of the corals, they look good to me...

Also I want to mention that I'm a couple of weeks of upgrading to a 125 gal tank. This fish was in said tank, but it's hanging out in this one until I can fix that one up --- it needs to be refinished...

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 7:17pm
IME, black turbellarian worms ("black ich") is *much* smaller than what is shown in the photos. In fact, it's very difficult to get a photo of. And, it'll appear as raised black dots, not blotches.

Did you receive the fish like this, or did this just develop a few days ago (sorry, the timeline was a little confusing.) If you received the fish like this, it could be hypermelanization...basically the fish could've run into an anemone or large coral. It's harmless, but it's unusual on fish other than clownfish...but it does happen.

My best guess is along with Mark...it's probably stress markings. Follow the above advice. I'd definitely get the pH up (fix the root cause...don't just add buffers). I'd also keep a regular supply of algae in the tank for it to graze upon. You can get nori (seaweed) for next to nothing at Asian groceries (just make sure it has no additives).

What's your temperature and salinity?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
jpyne4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpyne4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 7:26pm
I didn't have a chance to see the fish in any detail before I got him. He came with the tank I bought, and when I got there they had already started draining the tank, and lighting was low. So, I can't say if he looked this way before going into my tank or after...

As for fixing the root PH issue, I agree, I'll start doing some reading tonight, if anyone has a particularly good thread/article I'd love to take a look at it.

I'll go get some Nori in the morning.

Temp: 78-80
Salinity: 1.024
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 7:30pm
I would expect the Alk to still be within range on a 3 month old tank, but I would double check the pH, maybe even take a water sample to the LFS or feel free to bring it to me for a neighborly check of pH, Alk and Ca. It's of concern because at night pH will fall a couple points lower. When we consider that the daytime pH of 7.5 is 60x lower than the 8.1 minimum that it should be, it gives reason for concern. Yes, pH of 8.1 is 10 times higher than 8.0

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text anytime

Oh, and I could give you some Macroalgae

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 29 2013 at 7:31pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic