Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good Reasonably Priced Testing Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Blake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good Reasonably Priced Testing Kit
    Posted: October 03 2013 at 8:47am
Hello,

So I bought a basic pack of test strips that test my water for Alkalinity, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia and I think PH. I know for coral I need to be able to test for Calcium, Magnesium and I believe a few other things. I was just looking to get some recommendations on a decent kit for testing my water. Or would it be best to buy tests individually (just PH, just alkalinity, just calcium) if that makes sense? Anyway, I know that API has a few kits, but I was once told that API isn't that good and was not recommended to me. So I thought I would see what is recommended. Thank you very much for the help!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 9:20am
I would go with the Red Sea kits. They're a little pricey initially, but they're refillable...which makes them cheaper in the long run. Plus, they're good kits.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 9:39am
I agree with reefdup and it last awhile. I've been using the same test kit for almost a yr
Creating my own ocean
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 9:56am
I should also mention... I used the cheap kits when I started, and I don't recommend that. You could have a test turn out wrong...then you'll spend days and money troubleshooting everything...which will probably make matters worse.

I've also used some of the other nice and expensive kits. They're great, but they can be challenging to perform, which will make you want to test less often.

I find that the red sea kits are easy to perform and perform well.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 10:05am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I should also mention... I used the cheap kits when I started, and I don't recommend that. You could have a test turn out wrong...then you'll spend days and money troubleshooting everything...which will probably make matters worse.

I've also used some of the other nice and expensive kits. They're great, but they can be challenging to perform, which will make you want to test less often.

I find that the red sea kits are easy to perform and perform well.

+1
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 10:14am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I would go with the Red Sea kits. They're a little pricey initially, but they're refillable...which makes them cheaper in the long run. Plus, they're good kits.

+1 

With the price you can look at it this way too.  Most kits cost $20 to $35 each.  With the Red Sea reef foundation kit you get all 3 test for about $50. and the refill kits are $10-$20 for the Read Sea

check this one out
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 10:17am
I have been pleased with the Salifert brand, though it has been a while since I compared the price per test with say, RedSea. Okay, why not. Smile Here is an up-to-date pricing comparison:

A recently purchased Salifert Alk test kit was ~$15 online. It does 100 tests(200 at lower resolution)
$15/100 tests = $0.15/test

In checking online, I find the Red Sea Alkalinity Pro test kit is ~$25 for 75 tests and ~$15 for the 75 test refill.
$25 + $15 = $40/150 tests = $0.27/test

There you have it.
The Salifert Alk test kit is much more economically priced. Though the Salifert Ca and Mg test kits are about $25 each, I would expect comparisons to also figure in favor of Salifert.

FYI, the methodology for all these test kits of all brands is exactly the same. It's called Titration. Chemists have used this method of chemical analysis for centuries and they still use it commonly today.

BTW, Alk and Ca test kits is all I buy. When I want to check Mg, maybe 2-3 times/year, I ask a friend or LFS. I almost always test for Alk and Ca together every 2-4 weeks which means that 100 tests will last for a couple years. I don't need a pH test because I know that when there is good water movement to the surface, gas exchange is good and good pH follows good Alk. I can tell that Nitrogen pollution is not a problem when I see coral opening up, algae growing normally and when the tank smells like the ocean.

That's my 2 cents.
Aloha,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 03 2013 at 10:40am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 10:54am
ive pretty much have had them all and my favorite is red sea that has 3 kits in one, does cal alk and mag, fast and accurate! best yet!
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 1:45pm
I used to use Salifert, but I won't go back after using Red Sea. Here's a link to my blog on with a comparison of the two brands:

http://www.reefdup.com/2012/03/04/red-sea-test-kits-versus-salifert-test-kits/

And, I should mention, some of our great LFS have much better pricing on the Red Sea kits than online.

Edited by ReefdUp - October 03 2013 at 1:46pm
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 2:18pm
I have an Elos Calcium kit (only used a couple times), and I think I have a couple others that I'm not using. (I'll check when I get home).

Free.

I'll even ship them down to you in Provo.

Free.

Couple different brands so you can do a little comparison shopping.

Just let me know if you're interested.
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 3:10pm
Nikki, that blog is crazy talk. Big smile
I keep my Salifert boxes on a shelf. They last long enough.
Salifert kits are easier to use, you said so yourself.
15% difference in results, yet we don't know which test result was most accurate, but in fact it really does not matter and here is why. We speak of keeping these water parameters within quite a wide range, so +/- 15% means almost nothing when Alk can occupy a range of 8-12(40% range).
Even at $49.99, because there are only 75 tests, Red Sea test kits are still more expensive per test than Salifert.
I don't care what Test kit you use but you can't argue with the math.

See ya tonight.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 3:48pm
So it seems it is already on and the meeting doesn't start for almost 4 hours!

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 4:46pm
You're right - you can't argue with the math. Salifert makes more sense economically if you have very high levels of chemicals (which most people don't...that's why they test.) Red Sea makes more sense economically for the average reefkeeper who uses a lot of titrant.

(From Marine Depot):
Salifert Calicium: $21.99 for 50-100 tests ($0.22-$0.44 per test)
Salifert Alkalinity: $16.99 for 100-200 tests ($0.09-$0.17 per test)
Salifert Magnesium: $21.29 for 50 tests ($0.43 per test)

Red Sea Calcium/Alkalinity/Magnesium: $49.99 for 210-250 tests (75, 75, 60-100, respectively) ($0.20-0.24 per test)
Refill kits:
Ca ($10.99), $0.15 per test
Alk ($9.99), $0.13 per test
Mag ($11.49), $0.12-$0.19 per test

If you bought all three Salifert tests, you'd be out $60.27, compared to $49.99 for the Red Sea (lower price initially). Your average price for the Salifert tests is about $0.17 to $0.30. Your average price for the Red Sea tests is $0.24. So, they're about right on par with each other, depending on how much titrant you need. If you go with the refills versus all new Salifert kits, then...well, the winner is obvious.

Salifert kits are also getting much harder to find. There have been several times when I was unable to find them locally...or even online due to production backlogs, shipping (literally), etc.

I'd say the Salifert kit is only easier on the Magnesium kit...that's about it. The color change is much more noticeable on the Red Sea kit.

Plus, Red Sea does a better job batching and testing for accuracy. Remember a few years back when Salifert had the bad alkalinity test kits...and hundreds of people fried their SPS? Although Salifert Alk now comes with a "standard", Red Sea actually guarantees their accuracy.

www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 4:49pm
Interesting. I've always used and been happy with Salifert. Maybe I need to reconsider the relationship . . .

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 4:52pm
Yeah, I used Salifert for 5 years... It took not being able to find a magnesium kit AT ALL to make the switch. I didn't think I was going to like the Red Sea, but I'm happy.

Did I mention...the Red Sea kits use glass vials? The Salifert plastic ones etch and are known to actually skew test results over time.

Edited by ReefdUp - October 04 2013 at 7:42am
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 9:20pm
Red Sea here!
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2013 at 5:56am
Also, did i mention that my dad can beat up your dad? But in reality i think either salifert or red sea are both good test kits, the API test kits on the other hand are lacking.. just my thoughts.
Blake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2013 at 10:13am
Thanks to everyone for the information! This forum is awesome and super helpful! So far I haven't killed anything in my tank because I've felt well informed :) 

When I run out of my current testing supplies for nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia is Red Sea also a good brand to use for those tests? Also, I assume the the "pro" test refill kits are the refills I'd use for Red Sea? I didn't know if there was a none "pro" version or anything that was less expensive. 

Thanks again to everyone for the great information! The help is soo much appreciated. 
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2013 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Blake Blake wrote:

When I run out of my current testing supplies for nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia is Red Sea also a good brand to use for those tests? Also, I assume the the "pro" test refill kits are the refills I'd use for Red Sea? I didn't know if there was a none "pro" version or anything that was less expensive. 

Once your tank is up and running for awhile you might feel as though you don't need to frequently test for nitrates, nitrites and ammonia (unless you see something unexpected occurring in your tank).  So whatever you purchase, watch for expiration dates.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2013 at 10:40am
I agree with Molli. After about the first year or when you feel comfortable with your tank, testing for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrate is not very worthwhile. Once the tank is fully cycled, you should stop seeing ammonia and nitrite. For this reason, the cheap kits are still ok if you want to keep testing. I haven't used the red sea ammonia/nitrite/nitrate kits.

I think red sea just calls the new kits "pro" to.distinguish from their old line of kits that weren't so great.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic