Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

400 Gallon Starphire Build - Mixed Reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 8:45pm
$150 for these flipping Loc-line parts.  Why didn't I invent this?  

Got a small shipment from Bulk Reef Supply today.  1/4 inch tubing for my Vertex Libra dosser.  A couple of float valves for the R/O line that will drip into the sump.  

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 10:31pm
I must say Aaron.  Your passion for this is great to see.  I'm sure this will be a very beautiful reef soon.
You have made all the right moves by going around and seeing other aquariums and taken all the steps to build Your tank with all the equipment that you believe to be the best for your tank. You have spent many hours researching, and talking to many experts in the trade, so that you could put together a special system that you can enjoy for many years to come.  Your patience is commendable , the trouble you have gone through the last 8 months would surely discourage many others, but you stuck with it and it is finally going to come true. Bravo my man, Bravo. Clap
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 8:07am
+1
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 8:32am
Originally posted by tileman tileman wrote:

I must say Aaron.  Your passion for this is great to see.  I'm sure this will be a very beautiful reef soon.
You have made all the right moves by going around and seeing other aquariums and taken all the steps to build Your tank with all the equipment that you believe to be the best for your tank. You have spent many hours researching, and talking to many experts in the trade, so that you could put together a special system that you can enjoy for many years to come.  Your patience is commendable , the trouble you have gone through the last 8 months would surely discourage many others, but you stuck with it and it is finally going to come true. Bravo my man, Bravo. Clap

Thanks for the kind words Brad.  Your tank is very inspiring.  Hopefully I can achieve what you have some time down the road.  Your posts every weekend on Facebook KILL ME. haha -  I just can't wait to start handpicking all the livestock. This should be a lot of fun.  
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 10:31am
Aaron this is amazing! Dion did an awesome job on that stand. I loved seeing it in your garage but it looks even better in the house! You weren't kidding when you said it was going to take up that whole wall. Can't wait to see what you do with this things! It's going to be a ride for sure! Gorgeous! KrazieClown
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 5:03pm
Got my schedule 80 pipe today.  This is what happens when you don't have a truck :)  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 5:05pm
Got my return pumps today.  I keep changing my mind on this, but I decided to go back to using 2 returns and then turning the variable speed down on them. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 5:14pm
Schedule 80 fittings and valves!  I realize schedule 40 will work, but I really like the look of the 80.  Check out these ball valves out.  I noticed that several of the aquariums here in the states use this exact valve, so I decided to copy them :)  These are very expensive valves and probably overkill for my system, but they work great.  I tried 8 different valves out in the plumbing store and these were the highest quality and easiest to open and close.  

8 Ball Valves, 12 unions and 14 bulkheads are going to get the job done.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 9:32am
Last night I decided to get my returns and drains down in the overflow boxes.  The wife was out of town, so I figured it was a good time so she wouldn't see the mess ;)

The nice thing about this tank is that when you are inside, you have plenty of room. ha

Bulkheads under the cabinet were easier than I thought to deal with. I had the perfect amount of room and I felt like I was able to get the nut on the bulkheads nice and snug.  

I wish I would have had some shorter bulkheads for my overflow boxes, but I was able to get it done. I did not glue anything down in these boxes.  This schedule 80 is so tight and hard to work with anyway.  I ended up doing an emergency drain about 1.5 inches from the top and my Durso's were about 3 inches below the emergency.  I decided to not do herbie, because I wanted the ambient noise of the water flowing through the tank. 

I'm going to shorten up these Loc-Lines up a bit tonight. They ended up being a little too long.  

I don't know how many of you have worked with schedule 80, but it's a PAIN in the rear to pipe. Just dry fitting everything and then trying to get it apart was very difficult.  I'm NOT a plumber, but growing up I installed commercial refrigeration equipment my entire life, so I get the basic concepts because I've worked in construction. My previous PVC experience has only been schedule 40, this 80 stuff was not very fun to work with. And yes, I screwed up on my length, so that's why I have a coupler there :)   

Scott B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 10:18am
Gotta love the plumbing, lol. Your plumbing cost more than my whole set up!! LOL
28g jbj led nano, 150 g mixed reef, skimz skimmer, AI blue sol's, Reef Angel controller, wp40's, aquamedic reef doser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Scott B Scott B wrote:

Gotta love the plumbing, lol. Your plumbing cost more than my whole set up!! LOL

It's not about the money, it's about the passion, right Wink? You will love your new set up.  It's coming along very nicely and I want to come see it when it's all done.  
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 10:38am
Fantastic build! I'm the same way when the wife is gone it is time to work on the tank. To me it is not a "mess" it is progress.Big smile

Scott B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 11:13am
Originally posted by love2skiutah love2skiutah wrote:

Originally posted by Scott B Scott B wrote:

It's not about the money, it's about the passion, right Wink? You will love your new set up.  It's coming along very nicely and I want to come see it when it's all done.  

Passion for sure! But for some of us, money is a little concern . It will be awhile for me to get up and running but you are more than welcome to come see it, and of course i want to see yours also!
28g jbj led nano, 150 g mixed reef, skimz skimmer, AI blue sol's, Reef Angel controller, wp40's, aquamedic reef doser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 9:56pm
I had a few small pieces of rock that has been dried and sitting in a bin. I rinsed it off earlier this morning and just placed a few pieces in the tank. I will do my aquascape hopefully Friday. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 10:01pm
So check this out.  Elite Aquatics built this custom box for me.  Ca, Alk, Mag - 2.5 gallons each - I had him build this shelf for my Vertex Dosser to sit on.  He text me these pics. I will pick them up next week and post a couple more pics with the sump.  

I didn't want to mount all my Apex and Ecotech controllers on the sides of my cabinet, so I had them build me a custom plate to mount them to. I will be able to slide it around and in and out of the way if needs be.  The controllers will be mounted down each side with the cords going through the middle holes. 

It's pretty cool when I can give him an idea and he just builds it.  

Edited by love2skiutah - October 12 2013 at 10:04pm
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 4:26pm
Those are awesome brackets!!!!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 9:31pm
Aron it was great to meet you and this Bigger than I could imagine tank. You have great vision and can't wait to see it full of fish coral etc. For those who have not seen it this is a must see!!!!! But my kid still wants to know where your wife got those boots....I'm looking at tanks and she just wants to be stylish . Go figure?
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 10:17pm
Kurt you came down without stoping by! Yes this is a very excited tank and has amazing potential.

Originally posted by Akira Akira wrote:

Aron it was great to meet you and this Bigger than I could imagine tank. You have great vision and can't wait to see it full of fish coral etc. For those who have not seen it this is a must see!!!!! But my kid still wants to know where your wife got those boots....I'm looking at tanks and she just wants to be stylish . Go figure?
220 G SPS Display.

Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 2:19am
Sorry Allen it was the middle of the day and I had live stock and the family in tow . Next time I will plan a visit to your place before my pick ups as it left me kinda rushed . Had to visit Aquatic and Bird world while I was North and there is never enough time to be all the places I want to see in one afternoon. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 6:40am
Originally posted by love2skiutah love2skiutah wrote:

I wish I would have had some shorter bulkheads for my overflow boxes...

Aloha Aaron,

Thanks for having me over to look at your setup and to offer suggestions. Smile

The shorter bulkhead is called a UniSeal. It is simple and works well.
http://www.uniseal.co.nz/
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/uniseal-5.html

Another advantage of the Uniseal over typical bulkheads is that the Uniseal allows some wiggle room. Typical bulkheads leak when the pipe is wiggled.

Note 1.
For matching the Return pipe in the overflow to the pipe coming through the Uniseal bulkhead, when flaming and bending the PVC pipe to make the jog, do one bend at a time.
            ____
_____ /            

Note 2.
I'm thinking a reducer 90 glued at the top, with a 3/4" S/T coupler inserted through the Uniseal into which the Lockline is threaded... will have to check what fits through the Uniseal.

Note 3.
ABS pipe and fittings are black and they are compatible with PVC primer and glue.
Black PVC pipe and fittings are available online.
Gray PVC pipe and fittings are used as electrical conduit, available at hardware stores.
Exposed white pipe and fittings can be painted gray, with PVC cement, or black, with ABS cement.

Expand your possibilities. Smile Think outside the box. Smile Find alternative solutions.

Question Question
With those Return Lines leading through the overflow wall so far below the water line, how will the siphon break when the Return Pump stops? Is one side of the "Y" Lockline going to be bent up and along the water surface?

Question Question
With the lack of adequate working space at the bottom underside of the overflow, did you get a wrench, like this Rainbird Nelson Wrench I found for $8 at Ace Hardware, for dealing with the installed bulkhead nuts?

Question Question
What is the recommended flow rate for that skimmer? I hope it won't be moving water faster than the flow rate through the Sump/Refugium. BTW, most bugs go through a skimmer without ending up in the skimate.

Mahalo again for letting me come over and offer suggestions,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic