Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

400 Gallon Starphire Build - Mixed Reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by love2skiutah love2skiutah wrote:

Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Amazing how much of the rock disappeared under the sand and yet the sand is still below the molding in many places. This thing is huge! Nice work. BTW, what brand are those return pumps?

Reef Octopus DC 10500 variable pumps -  Not sure if I'd recommend, I've been having issues with them on the install.  We will see when they get up and going.  

Good to know. I just like their size and how small the pump head is for the rating on them. Thanks for the info as always! Can't wait to see that Apex running! :)
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 2:57pm
I am sure you will like the pumps after they are up and running. I run the reef octopus 5500 on my skimmer. Great pump so far. Everything is looking really good!
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 2:58pm
wow I am so jealous!! I wish I had a tank that big. It looks awesome!!
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 7:08pm
If you've ever worked with Spaflex, it's kind of a pain.  I used a hairdryer to get it warm and then zip tied it to a straight edge and it worked like a charm after it cooled down. 

It took about about 30 min to fill up the display.  I will be putting some type of a cage over those 90's that are in the sump for the returns.  I did run into quite a few problems as we were filling up the tank and it took about 3 hours re-adjusting and re-doing some of the plumbing.  

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 7:10pm
Oh yeah, lookin' good!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 7:15pm
I wanted to show  you guys a close up of this stand and Dosser I had Elite Aquatics custom build for me.  I was very tight on room, so this was a must.  

As you can see, the 1/4 inch tubing goes directly from the box to the Vertex and then over to the sump where I had the same connections installed. 

I have not zip tied all the cords yet because I have more Vortech's and all my Radion Pros that I have to add over the next couple weeks.  But you can see how it fits nicely under the cabinet.

ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 7:17pm
Looking good Aaron! I've got to come check this thing out soon.
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by ch3tt ch3tt wrote:

Looking good Aaron! I've got to come check this thing out soon.

Come by anytime you are in the area
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 7:45pm
Looking AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 9:41pm
Wow !!! It just gets better and better. I really love the design of your dosing tank and how clean that turned out  , so hands off to You and Tyler  !! The imagination new ideas in builds never seems to end .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 8:13pm
At least I got my 4 gallon Nano in my kitchen to get me by while I'm cycling.  UGH

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 8:21pm
Very nice. It is amazing how much another tank can help with patience while waiting!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 11:44am
I'd like to point out one of the mistakes I made when I was installing, so some you plumbing noobs like me don't do the same thing.  

Okay, so ignore that I have a coupling in there, cause I was originally supposed to have a union, but I was short one.  See the angle of the spaflex going up into the bulkhead?  I installed all my bulkheads and tested them and no leaks.  I then proceeded to glue the spaflex up into the bulkheads and I thought it was fine. It turns out that with the spaflex bent, it put pressure on the bottom of the bulkhead and basically squished the gasket and caused them to leak.  I had to buy 4 new bulkheads with gaskets and redo some of the plumbing.  I ended up coming straight down with the spaflex and then using a 90 to come over and into the main run.  Ryan showed up with 400 gallons of water and ended up staying at my home past midnight helping me fix my screw up.  So I guess the moral of the story is when you are using the spaflex, be super careful with those hard angles.  It puts a lot of pressure on your plumbing.  I was actually really annoyed because I spent so much time doing research and being what I thought was super careful on doing my plumbing with the bulkheads.  Nice piece of humble pie for me Clap

Seriously though, Ryan from Aquatic Dreams bent over backwards and saved my butt that night be staying all night and helping me fix the problem.  I appreciate everyone showing up at my house and giving me pointers though.  I took a little bit of information from everyone to get this done.  

Here's one of the gaskets I ruined. 

The second time, I heated the spaflex up with a hairdryer and then zip tied it to the straight edge until it cooled.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2013 at 7:43pm
Seriously. I hate cycling.

I wanted to show you the difference between my 2 tanks.

Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2013 at 7:58pm
Looks awesome Aaron. I know it's a bit late now but you can use the same technique of heating the spaflex and then bending it and holding it bent while it cools to take the stress off of the bulkheads as well. In either case that clean plumbing will pay off. I try to avoid 90 elbows in my plumbing as much as possible especially in the drains to keep the flow as unrestricted as possible.

Glad you found another solution that works as well.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2013 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Looks awesome Aaron. I know it's a bit late now but you can use the same technique of heating the spaflex and then bending it and holding it bent while it cools to take the stress off of the bulkheads as well. In either case that clean plumbing will pay off. I try to avoid 90 elbows in my plumbing as much as possible especially in the drains to keep the flow as unrestricted as possible.

Glad you found another solution that works as well.

That was the whole point of using the spaflex, was to avoid the 90s. If you look at the picture above, I did heat it up, but the bend was still too tight. At the time, I assumed it was fine, but that small amount of pressure ruined those gaskets. Ryan spent 4 hours with me until almost 1 in the morning helpling me fix it :/

It's been a really fun project to work on this fall, but I'm ready to start filling it up. I've already got some orders in for some really special fish :)
speyside712 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speyside712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2013 at 11:51pm
I live pretty close to you in centerville and would love to come check out your setup sometime.  I'm in the middle of building a 90 system right now as well, maybe you can give me some pointers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2013 at 12:02am
Originally posted by speyside712 speyside712 wrote:

I live pretty close to you in centerville and would love to come check out your setup sometime.  I'm in the middle of building a 90 system right now as well, maybe you can give me some pointers.

You are more than welcome to stop by anytime.  Evenings are best
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2013 at 2:22pm

I want to come by some time too!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2013 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by ksmart ksmart wrote:

I want to come by some time too!

Anyone is welcome.  Just PM me! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
  Share Topic