Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

400 Gallon Starphire Build - Mixed Reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Author
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 9:45pm
Oh man, I can't wait to see those beauties on the Reef Tour!

DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 10:25pm
Looking good!
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 8:59am
A Moorish Idol and an awesome Apolemichthys xanthopunctatus. Just curious, how much was that one?
Brad/Tileman had one of those angels but I'm not sure it survived the tank catastrophe. It was so beautiful I saved Mike Savages pic of it for my screensaver. Thumbs Up Congratulations Aaron.
Thumbs Up

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 9:06am
$275 - got it from Kevin at Pacific Island Aquatics. I've had it for about a month in my 40 gallon downstairs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 4:56pm
Look what Dion made me!  Pretty sweet matching cabinets for my fish stuff.  Oh and I picked up a bunch of SPS and it's been rockin the last 2 weeks.  

lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 4:59pm
very nice!

220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 4:23pm
I just picked up about 16 pieces from Rocky Mountain Frags today.  He's been holding this pack for me for about 2 months now.  I'm very pleased with the frags I got from him.  I'll try to get some tank shots up tomorrow. Here's the list of coral I got today.

Ice Age Granulosa
Gila Monster
Red Gecko 
Jason Fox Unknown
Reef Raft Poison Ivy
Pink Lemonade
Emma's Mind Trick
Paletta's Pink Tip
Ultimate's Bonsai
Tyree Two Tone Tort
Red Robin
Jared's Flavor Parade
Pinky The Bear
Jared's Killer Bee's
Wonderland Milli 
Red Setosa 

I spent the last hour gluing all this SPS down and I used for different glues.   Super glue is ok, but it's very runny and it sometimes won't stick to the plug or the coral.  The BRS glue is not as thick as the Ecotech stuff, but it's pretty good for what you pay for.  Ecotech's glue is very thick and you have to hold it in place for about 30 seconds (which that is a long time when you got half your face in the water), but the glue I thought was the best was this IC-Gel.  It's thick and it sets up in seconds after it hits the water.  It's only $7 a tube and it's pretty amazing stuff.  I had never heard of it until Jared let me try a tube of it today.  

Edited by love2skiutah - May 10 2014 at 4:29pm
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 11:52pm
Crazy list of acros! I know who I will be hitting up for frags in a year or so now, and thx for the glue tip.
65g Reef
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2014 at 1:18am
I love the IC-Gel, been using it for years
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2014 at 8:06am
Jared's corals are awesome. I am sure they will look stunning.

Good job on posting the glue. We are on the never ending glue search. Digging the paleo glue another club member recommend. Have to check this one out too.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2014 at 9:02am
SORRY my pics suck so bad.  They are all with my phone.  The pics don't do the little frags justice.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2014 at 9:06am

Edited by love2skiutah - May 11 2014 at 9:07am
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2014 at 9:06am
Setting up in seconds is a real advantage when gluing underwater in the tank. Thumbs Up Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by love2skiutah love2skiutah wrote:

Super glue is ok, but it's very runny and it sometimes won't stick to the plug or the coral.
I believe you must have been using the wrong form of Super Glue. Gel Super Glue is not runny, sticks just fine and firms up in 15 seconds.

Thanks again. I may have to try the quicker setting IC-GEL.

Aloha Hug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2014 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Setting up in seconds is a real advantage when gluing underwater in the tank. Thumbs Up Thanks for sharing.

Super glue is ok, but it's very runny and it sometimes won't stick to the plug or the coral.
I believe you must have been using the wrong form of Super Glue. Gel Super Glue is not runny, sticks just fine and firms up in 15 seconds.

Thanks again. I may have to try the quicker setting IC-GEL.

Aloha Hug

It was $1.00 Super Glue from the dollar store.  lol
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2014 at 9:15am
Beautiful pieces!

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2014 at 9:35am
Yes it's $1 for two .07 oz tubes in a package. That's less cost per ounce than the IC-Gel, but my point is that there are two forms of Super Glue. Check what you used and see if it wasn't the white tube with blue cap. That is the ordinary SG. The Gel Super Glue is thick. It is in a yellow tube with green cap. I've used it for over 15 years of coral farming but that's mostly attaching things temporarily out of the tank. If the IC-GEL sets quicker than Gel SG then that's a real plus for in-tank work. like you were doing. Thumbs Up

fishnfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 2:48am
Looks good love the pieces from jared. Will have to get some of that glue also
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 8:31am
Aaron,
      Your tank is awesome. I can't wait to se a few of those grown out. Jared had great stuff and that pink lemonade is one of my all time favorites! Good job! Krazie
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 8:49am
These $8 fans from Target lowered my system temp 1.5 degrees. Better than a chiller!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 10:20am

These $8 fans from Target lowered my system temp 1.5 degrees. Better than a chiller!

I would have liked to blow them across the top, but I really don't have a way of doing it. I bought some blocks and was going to drill them in the inside of the canopy and then clip the fans onto the blocks towards the bottom, but this seemed to do the job. It's actually pushing a lot of heat back up and out of the top of the canopy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
  Share Topic