Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

400 Gallon Starphire Build - Mixed Reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 10:22am
I have no idea why my post just did that. 
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 10:46am
It was pretty cool
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 3:22pm
Pinky The Bear

Red Gecko

Ice Age Granulosa and Wonderland Milli

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 8:57pm
Radions are at 100% @10k for 4.5 hours, 14k and 20k the rest of the day.

Red Gecko, Killer Bees, Super Man Monti

Lemon Peel, Leopard Wrasse, Jason Fox Unknown up front and a nice one I grabbed from Aquatic Dreams

Grafted Setosa from Butler

Growth in less than 2 weeks on this monti.

Edited by love2skiutah - May 26 2014 at 9:05pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 8:59pm
I've got about 50 nice pieces of SPS now.  

lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 8:52am
I know that I have said it before.  Man I sure am glad that you kept your tank.  Everything is looking really good.  
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 10:10am
Thanks man! I'm glad I didn't throw in the towel too. It can be very frustrating at times. Ha
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 8:35pm
Amazing, thank you for sharing with us the good the bad and well nothing ugly yet! ;)
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 9:20pm
Wow you have some of the SPS that I REALLY want! I love that ice age granulosa. Hopefully you can grow it well so we can get some frags out there!
Call or Text (801)834-3119

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Trevor40 Trevor40 wrote:

Wow you have some of the SPS that I REALLY want! I love that ice age granulosa. Hopefully you can grow it well so we can get some frags out there!

The one that I really love is the Red Gecko.  It's turning out to be a killer piece.  Paletta's Pink Tip and Pinky The Bear are my other favorites.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 10:25pm
For most of the time, I've been at 75% @ 10K for 3 hours a day.  I know several people with large tanks that were running at 100%.  Over 3 weeks, I cranked it to 100% and 5 hours a day.  I lost the color in my Orange Digi, my ultimate bonsai lost the white and turned bright purple and my rainbow monti lost it's color.  Some corals got better color, but I'm wondering if it's because of Julian's Acro Power I've been using.  I dropped back down to 80% and 4 hours a day.  I think I get better color at the lower percentage.  
ReefOn View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefOn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 11:47pm
Now that you have the tank rocking, try to keep it consistent. Don't change or try multiple "new" things at the same time. The trick to long term success is to make slow and calculated adjustments. Don't just go "trying" new products. Keep it simple and consistent and you will have long term success. It is a marathon to have a successful sps dominated reef.

ReefOn

7563 S Main St (700W)

Midvale, Uta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 11:57pm
Yeah, played with the spectrums quite a bit in the beginning. The only thing I've been trying to fine tune is the intensity. I knew I was gambling when I started cranking it up, but I think I'm fine where it's at. It seems like I got way better growth between 90-100, but I lose color on some of the pieces when it's up that high.

For the most part, I've been pleased with the stability of the temperature and my big 3. I really need to work on being more consistent with my feeding so the nitrates and phosphates are more stable. Sometimes I over feed too much on the weekends and with the combination of not changing out my socks when I should, I get little spikes.

Edited by love2skiutah - June 13 2014 at 12:13am
fishnfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 2:11am
how your angels doin with your coral?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 7:12am
Originally posted by fishnfresh fishnfresh wrote:

how your angels doin with your coral?

They are doing great. No nipping from any of them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 9:35pm
A few pics.  Getting a camera soon... 

Well here we are... Angels and SPS - 

Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 9:45pm
Thats a gorgeous regal angel!
120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 5:29am
I love that Gold Flake, very pretty!

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 6:19am
The Queen Angel is awesome.

We so often call it pollution that we start to think of it as bad, when in fact these dissolved nutrients are part of the food of the reef. Ups and downs in the level of nutrients actually benefits the coral and the biofiltration. Don't forget that one organisms waste is another organisms food. Algae and bacteria love a good feast just as much as the next guy, Zooxanthellae algae included.

Also, times of feast and times of famine are the way of life on the reef. Almost once a week, I choose to either skip a day or feed less. I like how it allows the biofiltration and the CUC to catch up on their job. Then another day I'll feed extra. It seems to help things be stronger in the long run.

An expert in the hobby advises that we not try to be too consistent with everything, because when long standing consistency suddenly fails, the organisms are not prepared for it and consequently struggle more than if they had been toughened by inconsistency. I know this may seem counter-intuitive but if you think about it, it starts to make sense.

Aloha Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 19 2014 at 6:22am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 8:19am
I know you don't like feeding more than once, but I feed multiple times a day. I did, however search out angel foods and have tied that into their diet. Twice a month I do make them fast, maybe I'll look at doing it more. It's just hard when you walk to the tank and they are all staring at you like they are starving to death. Lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
  Share Topic