Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

400 Gallon Starphire Build - Mixed Reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 4:05pm
Awesome looking clowns! Love all the angels too. Is there any LPS corals in the tank that might tempt the angels? I want a juvi goldflake, but worry about my LPS. Curious how yours is doing.
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by P.Kapp P.Kapp wrote:

Awesome looking clowns! Love all the angels too. Is there any LPS corals in the tank that might tempt the angels? I want a juvi goldflake, but worry about my LPS. Curious how yours is doing.

I don't have any LPS... 100% SPS as of now.. 

P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 4:10pm
Gotcha. Thanks for the response! Beautiful tank!!
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 9:36pm
Now I know why people put these big angels in their systems.  They are so incredibly beautiful to watch.  The colors look so much better at home than at your LFS :)  

As far as fish stocking goes.  I would like to add the following 

I'm finished with Angels
Male Cross Hatch (small this time)
Lots of Anthias 
1 more set of Clowns (It's really hard to pick because there are so many amazing designers)
A couple Bangai (I think these are one of the most under rated fish in the hobby) - I'm a little hesitant because in the past my Blue Jaw Trigger gobbled up my bangai in my 120 haha
I may add a wrasse or 2, but I haven't decided which ones I like.  I'm leaning towards a Tamarin and/or Lineatus 

I originally wanted a Conspic in this system, but there is no way I will risk another angel with this Emp. He's kind of a mean sucker.  I am leaning towards a Gem Tang right now, but it will be the very last fish I add.  

Edited by love2skiutah - June 19 2014 at 9:37pm
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 9:54pm
Beautiful angels for sure!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 7:51pm
Just a few shots.  I added a huge piece of Red Dragon, Last Dragon, Yellow Mamba, Crown Jewel and Pearl Berry.  

I wish I could get a good shot of this Gila Monster I got from Rocky Mountain Frags. No words can express how crazy this thing looks in the evenings.  

A nice chunk of Red Dragon. The top pieces were cut off for frags.

As you can see, I will start filling the right side of the island up with more sticks.  Should be pretty cool when it's grown out. 

I love this guy.  He is always in a bad mood.  He will run everyone out of his path, but he doesn't really keep chasing.  He grunts a lot and is my biggest eater.

I love this Regal. 

The acro arch is coming along nice.
Cali Tort, Gila Monster, Jared's Flavor Parade, Tyree two toned tort, Jared's rainbow milli, grafted Setosa and my Red Planet is getting pretty big, pretty fast.  

A shot of the left side of the island

LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 8:19pm
I love the angels, especially the Regal. I've been trying to get a Regal ordered in to my LFS for the last 2 weeks. Your tank looks great. What type of growth do you get monthly on those frags? I'm curious what the typical growth is on a 2-3" sps.
Thanks for sharing

Edited by LakeCityReefs - June 28 2014 at 8:19pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by LakeCityReefs LakeCityReefs wrote:

I love the angels, especially the Regal. I've been trying to get a Regal ordered in to my LFS for the last 2 weeks. Your tank looks great. What type of growth do you get monthly on those frags? I'm curious what the typical growth is on a 2-3" sps.
Thanks for sharing

The last 3-4 months I've been getting more horizontal growth than I am vertical growth.  Just in the last 2-3 weeks I've started seeing a handful of the pieces start to take off, so I will know more in the next 60-90 days.  I don't know if any of you are friends with Dr. Sanjay Joshi on Facebook, but he is using the Radion Pro Gen 2's as well.  The other day he was posting growth shots in the last 90 days from his SPS pieces.  His pieces are easily doubling in size. I'm not getting even remotely close to his growth rate.  I know he has 4 more Radions than I do over his display and his water temp is about 2-3 degrees higher, so that may play a role in it as well.  I'm not sure which spectrum he is running, but he also mentioned he is running all 8 Radions at 100% for 5 hours a day.  Which is insane. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 4:48pm
A few updated shots. 

lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 4:59pm
Looking good.

220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 5:44pm
Glad to see everything looking good! Positive changes!
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 5:46pm
Liveaquaria has one of those tangs you liked so much from last month. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?c=720&pCatId=2884

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by DMower DMower wrote:

Liveaquaria has one of those tangs you liked so much from last month. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?c=720&pCatId=2884

I'm going to pass on tangs for now. I may add 1 at the very end. They are just so aggressive. At least when my angels get a little aggressive they don't have a giant blade on their tail :)
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 5:57pm
Well at least its cheap. Lol. Better than the 3000 dollar gem tang on dd today.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by DMower DMower wrote:

Well at least its cheap. Lol. Better than the 3000 dollar gem tang on dd today.

I'm getting 1 rare fish. It will either be a Gem or a Conspic and it will be at the end. I will be putting in a gate In between my island and wall and letting the fish get used to each other for about 30 days, then I will pull the gate out. I've ised it multiple times and it works well when adding a fish. I believe Syphus just did it as well when he added a new fish.
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 6:51pm
I'm going to buy the "Peacekeeper" from Marc Levinson.   A great acclimation idea.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by love2skiutah love2skiutah wrote:

At least...my angels...don't have a giant blade on their tail :)
So true. LOL

What is Marc Levinson's "Peacekeeper"? I can't find any reference to it.

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 28 2014 at 8:25pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 3:07pm
Added more sticks. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 3:14pm
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 3:48pm
Sweet, sweet, sweet!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
  Share Topic