Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

algae controlling fish?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jeffstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: algae controlling fish?
    Posted: September 22 2002 at 5:41pm
I am looking for something to help control macro algae - I am getting
overran with 4 or 5 different types. I have a 75 gallon with 4" DSB,
60 lbs live rock, 2 false clowns and 1 samll (2 inch) hippo tang.
I have heard that a lawn mower or a bi-color blenny would work. I am
planning to get a Manderin in about 6 months. Any suggestions?

Jeff
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2002 at 7:08pm

Hi Jeff!  Something I have learned about algae problems is that adding more fish doesn't really help the problem.  In fact the added bio strain might worsen the problem.  When I first started my tank I had a huge algae bloom with all kinds of gunky algae growing all over the place.  My largest tank is a 75 gallon and I have a lot more fish than you so I'm certain that your tank is capable of handling the strain of added fish, but water quality is the key with the algae.  Assuming that you are talking about the bad kinds of algae, using Reverse Osmosis water for water changes and top off water seems to be key, sometimes.  You should do a phosphate test on your water in the tank to rule out that.  Phosphates feed algae.  You should have almost no phosphates in your system.  When I started my tank I thought that getting algae eating fish would help the problem, and after spending a lot of money on them and having it get worse, I started looking at water quality.  Make sure you test all the essentials, no ammonia, no nitrates or nitrites, and the ph should be around 8.0 to 8.4.  Oh, and one thing, your tank should have lots of snails and hermit crabs.  They help.  (assuming that you don't already have any) 

Now if you are talking about calerpa and the likes, I hear yellow eye tangs and other fish with downturned mouthes like that are good.  I always keep some calerpa growing in my tank and I just pull it out by hand when it starts to overrun the tank.

I hope that this has helped, and I also hope that I didn't insult you with any suggestions because I don't know how long you have been in the hobby.  If you have been in it for a while then you would know most of the stuff I have told you.  Anyway take care!

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2002 at 7:56pm

Jeff,

First off, the mandarin.... please see the comments posted on the message board regarding mandarins.  You need to have many little tine invertebrates to keep mandarins alive, and these invertebrates need algae to breed in.

I have to ask for clarification as well.  You said you had macro algae taking over your tank.  That isn't a problem.  If it is something like caulerpa just pull it out once in a while.  People will buy it off you, it is great stuff.  Don't try get rid of it, I haven't seen a tank with too much macro algae ever.

If it isn't macro algae of that sort, but more of a hair algae... then don't get a mandarin or wrasse, or any fish that eat small invertebrates.  Try going with a yellow eye or sailfin tang, and as firefish suggested more crabs and snails and urchins. 

Hope this helps

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jeffstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2002 at 8:25pm

thanks for the replies.  Caulerpa is the main offender - 3 or 4 different types.  Not much hair algea, but there is a different type that I can not identify.  I will bring a sample to the next meeting.  The algea is practically smothering the rock.  I am leary of getting another tang because of size limits.  I have stayed away from crabs except for one emerald.  I have lots of snails though.  I always use RO water and my parameters look great.

Jeff

Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2002 at 5:50pm
Also one other thing jeff....if you pull the stuff out by hand be very careful of bristle worms.  I've just recently had a annoying little reaction to them sticking me on my fingers when I was pulling caulerpa out of my tank.  You might even want to wear gloves.
Kahuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2002 at 11:39pm

I'm always trying to introduce new types of caulerpa into my refugium. I'm working on the diversity theory.  So if you want to get rid of some just let me know and I'll be happy to come mow some out of your tank.

Kirk

Cell 801 860-7333
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2002 at 12:21pm
Hey jeffstone, you said that you are trying to stay away from crabs except one emerald.  You may want to try some blue leg or scarlet reef crabs.  I have a 120 gal reef and I probably well over 100 blue legs in it.  I have the opinion that a reef needs a crab for every gallon.  I have also have great success with sally lightfoot crabs.  They are very fast and excellent algea eaters.  However, crabs will help with hair and slime algae but not with colerpa.  I'm sure there are a ton of members, like Kirk above, will be more than happy to take or trade you for your colerpa.  I have a Mandarin Goby in my reef and there have been a couple times that he starts to not look so good.  I assume that he is depleteing his food source in the reef.  When this happens, I put him in my refugia for a day to feed off of the many "bugs" in there.  This helps to let the "bugs" start to grow in my reef again, plus it feeds the Mandarin pretty heavily for a day or so.  I hope this helps! 
jeffstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2002 at 12:27pm

Kahuna,

I will bring a small rock to the meeting this Thursday for you.  It is one of the rocks we picked up from Aragonite and has been in my tank for months now.  It has some calurpa growing on it.

Jeff

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2002 at 4:31pm

Jeff,

Do you have a sump or refugium?  Many time people can control the algae in their main tank by growing algae in their sump.

Also you may want to check the water you are using.   Phosphates, Nitrates and Silicates can all aid algae growth.  If you are using a RO unit you may want to consider replacing some of the cartridges or adding a DI unit.

Many would consider this a blessing not a curse.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Jared B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2002 at 4:04pm

Jeff, if it is a fish you want, then the Foxface seems to do a great job with caulerpa and other types of algaes.  I own one, and am very happy with it's addition to my reef.  It is very calm and has gotten along with all other fish and corals that I own.

Here is a link with more info on the Foxface:

http://www.reeftalk.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB5&Number=17607&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Hope the helps. - Jared.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2002 at 8:45pm

Check the June 2001 Sea Star article titled Herbivores vs. Carnivores. This may help you understand how to select your aquarium inhabitants. Since I am a little late in responding to your original post, you have probably already solved the problem.

An RDP Refugia as a sump as Jake mentioned above is also very helpful, especially as your tank reaches maturity. For info on RDP I would be glad to send you my updated version of the article appearing in a recent Sea Star issue. I wonder if anyone misses the Sea Star? I certainly do!

Mark [email protected]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic