Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coral ID

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
znoob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coral ID
    Posted: October 09 2013 at 1:46pm
Can anyone tell me what type of coral this is?  I have seen it in documentaries but not finding any info about it online.  It was on a clam that came with some LR last year and the clam recently perished due to the weight of the coral I assume.

Edited by znoob - October 09 2013 at 6:15pm
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 1:49pm
Cleaner shrimp
znoob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 3:41pm
The cleaner shrimp kept photo bombing my shots.
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 3:55pm
Hard to tell from pic but my guess is Tubastrea / Dendrophyllia

65g Reef
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 4:02pm
Do they have soft bodies?
Huskers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huskers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 4:15pm
I also have those on some mussels that came from live rock n reef, they are harder bodies and have little feelers that come out during feeding and at night
znoob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 4:30pm
Yes that's where I got these.  Hard body with semi-transparent tentacle feeders.  
znoob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 4:58pm
Here's a better pic with a different camera:

phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 5:05pm
Looks like some sort of candy coral...
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 7:39am
You may have already found this but here is a pic that came up in a search. I believe Bryce is right that it is a type of Dendrophyllia.

I doubt the coral was the reason for the Clam's demise, but it could have been pretty easily removed from the clams shell.

What could have caused the Clam to perish Question
Have Alk and Ca been within range and stable in this tank?
How long had the clam been in the tank?
How clean is the water, meaning is there food for the clam?
What is the lighting?

These are a few questions that come to mind.
You probably know this but Dendrophyllia is non-photosynthetic and appreciates fine particles of food floating past it. At night the zoo-plankton which comes up into the water, out of the sand and rock, feeds this coral. Smile yum

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 10 2013 at 7:55am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 8:26am
Nope...

It's either an Oculina species (uncommon but common on live rock farmed in Florida) or a Cladocora. Exact identification to the species level would require knowing exactly where it was collected and examining a bleached skeleton.

Some of the species are photosynthetic, but others aren't. The best way to tell is to watch its response to light and a lack of feeding.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 8:30am
Does it have a tint of green in?
Creating my own ocean
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 1:14pm
I agree that it appears similar to Cladocora.
Zach told us that it came in on a clam. Assuming that was a Tridacna Clam, then it came from the Pacific so it could not be Oculina nor Cladocora. My research indicates those are not Pacific but rather Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico corals.
Am I missing something?
znoob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 2:37pm
I believe that reef-n-rock get their LR from Caribbean/Gulf.  I think the clam is a rock clam.  I have 4 of them and they have been in my tank for over a year.  I dose phyto feast and oyster feast once or twice a week.  Expensive stuff.  I think this coral is related to the picture posted above.  My RBTA has grown and is now irritating one of the clams.

znoob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 2:38pm
znoob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 2:39pm
znoob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 2:44pm
RSM 250 T5 lighting with bi-monthly water changes.  My parameters are pretty stable.  Trying to grow a few acro colonies.  Thanks for all the info and responses.
znoob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote znoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 2:47pm
Avoiding work and getting photo happy.  Here is one of my best acro colonies:

Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 4:31pm
Beautiful colony!

Originally posted by znoob znoob wrote:

Avoiding work and getting photo happy.  Here is one of my best acro colonies:

"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 9:18pm
Aha, Nikki was right. Thumbs Up

I know what you mean about it being expensive. I have found many ways to make the hobby more economical.

When you run out of Phyto-Feast, I'd be glad to share some Tahitian Blend algae paste. I have more than I need. It's way less expensive than Phyto-Feast, with three kinds of single celled algae. A few drops feeds 150 gallons of reef. It's stored in the freezer so it stays fresh for months.

As far as zoo-plankton, Oyster Feast is hard to beat. I feed un-drained crushed up frozen meaty foods to the inverts in my systems.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic