Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sps dying/bleaching -- bad carbon?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sps dying/bleaching -- bad carbon?
    Posted: October 14 2013 at 7:52pm
Soooo I've had pretty good success keeping corals but as of late, a lot of my sps have been bleaching. Its a few select colonies and pretty much only on one side of my tank. I think the problem may be the carbon I switched to recently. Has anybody had any adverse reactions the marineland carbon? My lights have been a bit off too but I don't think its been enough for a whole colony that's been in different lighting several times to just up and bleach like this. I also suspect it since that's the side of the tank that had the carbon flowing nearest. Its also been happening since I switched the carbon. All my levels are in good levels:
0 nitrate/nitrite/phosphate
500ppm cal
9dkh
1400 mag

water change just a few weeks ago but after I noticed the coral struggling. Flow is sufficient. I decreased lighting just to be sure and that had no affect. Carbon has been the only other change. I removed it today.
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 8:04pm
I'm glad you posted this.  I've seen a similar thing in my tank.  I didn't think about my carbon.  Good luck with it.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 8:29pm
How much carbon are you running and for how long? Are you running GFO? What are your parameters?

If you stripped the water of nutrients too quickly or made the water too clear too quickly, then corals will bleach. If you're thinking it's a problem with the carbon itself, then it's possible, but unlikely (happened with Kent though). Kent had a copper contamination problem, which is usually seen with inverts dying, reds draining from SPS, and eventually coral death. I haven't heard of any problems with Marineland though.

Edited by ReefdUp - October 14 2013 at 8:30pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Electro4112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electro4112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 10:01pm
Do you rinse your carbon before using it in your tank?
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 10:04pm
As I have been struggling with sps might not mean much but most sps prefer .02 PO4 
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 12:42am
Nikki, you probably have the right idea... The stuff I was using before was probably less porous than the new stuff.. I didn't think that I should probably use less of the new stuff since it's probably a higher quality. I don't run gfo.

I always rinse before I put it in the tank.

Akira, yea, I think that may be another issue involved here too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic