Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corals browning/not opening/reseating etc...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corals browning/not opening/reseating etc...
    Posted: October 31 2013 at 9:41pm
Seems as though the last couple weeks almost all my coral had started to brown, not open, loss of color or started reseating. Nothing has bleached out, just looks like it needs a facelift. Tank has been up for just over 2 years. Any advice? Thanks guys!!

Salinity: 1.025
Alk: 12.4
Calc: 410
Mag: 1300
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Ammo: 0
Phos: 0.01
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 10:11pm
Which corals? What test kit are you using for phosphate? Most don't measure down to 0.01.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 10:29pm
Mostly SPS. I just have Aquatic Dreams test my water. They use that Hanna phosphate test with the vials.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 10:35pm
What lights and how old?
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2013 at 4:03am
AI Vega's since Febuary. Everything looked great when I switched to LED. Even had some growth.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2013 at 8:08am
Are you using AC? Every tank needs to run AC regularly to remove alleopathic/territorial chemicals.

What has been changed in the last month? new salt, new bucket, new AC, new water, new food, etc.?

Feeding? Is there a nipping fish?

Did some foreign object, soap or chemical get into the tank accidentally?

Top-off water problem?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2013 at 8:12am
I haven't changed anything for some time except for adding a Media reactor about a month ago. I'm not sure what AC is.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2013 at 7:47pm
AC=Activated Carbon

Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2013 at 8:01pm
Oh duh! Yea I do run carbon.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 7:29am
  Smile Now we are on to something.
How was AC run before?
Is the media reactor new or used?
When the media reactor was filled, was the AC from the same container/bag as before? Was it a different brand?
Is some type of Phosphate remover also running in this media reactor? What type? Had P remover been used before and how was it used?

Oh and one more thing. Are any coral dieing back or are they just not opening up like they used to? Which coral are affected?

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 03 2013 at 7:33am
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 9:25am
OK, I've always ran AC in a bag in the filter sock. Reactor is used but after a good cleaning, I hooked it up. Always used the same AC. Never changed the brand. All I am using in the reactor is BRS Bio Pellets. I do know that AC was being used in the reactor before I got it. Before the reactor, I would just do drops of Thrive Phosphate Remover when directed. 

It seems kinda weird. Some zoas are doing just as good as before, some seem to be struggling. No polyp extension on sps like before and loss of color. I guess I would say they look pissed, not dying. 
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 9:45am
So it's not just limited to SPS? Have you checked for pests?

Also, most hobbyist test kits only measure one type of phosphate (can't remember if it's organic or inorganic...either way)...so you could still have an excess of the other one.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 9:54am
What would be the best way to check for pests and a solution? I'm not sure what type of Phosphates I have been getting tested. I know it's the Hanna Phosphate Test that is being used.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 4:31pm
So the AC bag is still in the filter floss bag then, right?
Originally posted by Moosetang Moosetang wrote:

All I am using in the reactor is BRS Bio Pellets.
Biopellets are serious business. This is a huge change to the tank.
Is there anything else?

Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 5:05pm
That was all I had changed.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 5:46pm
You made a very drastic change to your system adding the reactor and could be starving your corals. I've done some reading about biopellet reactors because I'm trying to figure out if I want one when I put my cube on line -- from what I understand its a lot safer to take about a month to slowly add the biopellets to the reactor and you need to start heavily feeding your tank daily. Some also say you should add a bacterial additive to your tank when you put these reactors on line.

Edited by Molli - November 03 2013 at 5:47pm
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 7:12pm
What would be a good food to feed and bacterial additive to use?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 8:47pm
If your corals are browning, then that's not likely from starvation. Starving corals usually turn pastel, then bleach, then recede in extreme cases. Can you post pictures? That would really help....

You'd know if you were testing for both types of phosphate as those test kits are about $200+ the last time I checked. So, basically, you could have an excess of the type you aren't testing for. But, if you're running a biopellet reactor, those numbers should be declining.

There are plenty of good coral dips out there, including CoralRx, Revive, TMPCC, Lugol's, etc. I personally use CoralRx and Bayer Insecticide (found at Home Depot/Lowe's in the insect killer aisle.) Red/Gray/Black bugs will cause your corals to turn brown and not extend polyps. But, red bugs (acroporanus tegastes) only affect Acropora corals. Gray/Black bugs can infect LPS and SPS (probably softies too). AEFW only infect Acropora, and they cause the coral to turn brown then white as they eat the tissue.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 8:58pm
How has your dosing regimen been? Your alk is kinda high compared to your calcium. Do you find yourself adding a lot of alk all the time? Hows your temp?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

...from what I understand its a lot safer to take about a month to slowly add the biopellets to the reactor...
Thumbs Up
Turn off the reactor and let the tank recover. Study the use of biopellets and when the tank has recovered, if you decide to try again, go slowly, watching the tank carefully as you go.
That's my best advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic